Fresh and salt water boat use.

Bassblaster

Hey Everyone!:)

Since moving to Campbell River will be my first experience with boating salt water can anyone tell what what potential issues there may be for my boat engine?

I plan on moving the boat back and forth from fresh and salt water but don't know what's involved, if there are any special precautions I should take, or if it's even recommended.

I know some guys back in Alberta that have bought US saltwater boats (a deal with the crashed economy and strong dollar) but then found that they had to rebuild the engines.

Is this a common thing or are all of them just cursed?

I really don't want to damage my motor, or the environment, so if anyone has any tips can you let me know. Thanks

Fish On!!

First-- what boat and what engine? Outboard?? Inboard/outboard? Inboard? Freshwater cooled or raw water cooling? 2 stroke/ 4 stroke?

Aluminum or fiberglass?

On a trailer or moored?

Splain pleeze ;)

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Fibreglass,inboard/outboard Johnston 48 raw water cooled 2 stroke, trailered between locations, stored trailered not moored.
Thanks

It sounds like you have a Johnson outboard 2- stroke? Theres really no conversion between salt water and freshwater use, other to remember to flush it with fresh water from time to time if used in salt water.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Do you currently own that? And, how old is that thing? Are you sure you are talking about a 2 stroke I?O? I haven't heard of using a 2 stroke I/O in a boat since back in the late 70 or 80's????? And, it still runs - that would have to be a fresh water boat? [:0]

Like IFL said... The problem with salt is mostly due to letting the boat SET, without rinsing it out/off. If you are buying a saltwater boat that has been setting for a couple of years without being properly stored... you ARE going to have issues. Only question is how much money and how many issues! Those stainless steel clamps, will turn into some pretty nice white powder after a couple of years. So will the inside of those engines, along with the salt drying and harding inside of all the lines/tubes,etc eating and clogging them. If the boat has been in the salt, rinse - rinse - rinse. When you get done with that, rinse it again including the engine compartment! :)

Bassblaster, I found reference to a 1996 Model 48 SPL (Special) 48 horsepower, 2 stroke Johnson (not Johnston) Outboard Motor. This would never be placed on an inboard/outboard designed boat, nor does it seem to me likely that a boat small enough to be powered by a 48 hp outboard would be pod converted. Do you have a picture you can post of this beast?

Hate to say it but the boat Is older. Owned by a little old lady before me (no ****!):)

Since my terminology might be off I'll give you a bit more detail.

The boat is a fibreglass Marvac 15.5 ft open bow deep V hull.

The engine is a two stroke Johnston 48, inboard controlled outboard.

Cooling is via intake from the water you are in.

While it's older, it's in mint shape with very low hours on the engine. It's an awesome little rig that is light weight, goes like poop through a goose, and still looks fairly new by design standards.

Hope that this helps.

inboard controled outboard hmmm doesn't sound rite do you mean a out board that you contorl with a throtle up front?I guess i mean is the freakin thing hanging off the transom.

Sorry guys, as I said a lot of the lingo etc is new to me. Yes it's hanging on the transom. Throttle and other controls are at the helm.

Like I said on another post, some things I have a ton of experience in, others I'm clueless. Try to bear with me if I ask what most of you would consider retarded questions. It's one of the reasons I'm on here now. I've had the boat for almost 6 years and it's only hit the water 5 times!! (I probably used it less than the elderly lady that had it before me! (Sad, very sad!) Between work and limited boatable lakes in the area I wasn't able to get out much.:(:(:(

Hope to change that in a big way now.:D:D:D

Fish On!!

Sorry buddy but that's not an ocean boat.... no offence but safety first and bad things happen fast. Don't forget to get your operator's card. [B)]

Sorry buddy but that's not an ocean boat.... no offence but safety first and bad things happen fast. Don't forget to get your operator's card. [B)]

I know of that motor-leg combo,a buddy bought one of those in pretty good shape!I asked him 3 times..so the 2 stroke is inside and the leg is outside...HE says..YUP!

I know of that motor-leg combo,a buddy bought one of those in pretty good shape!I asked him 3 times..so the 2 stroke is inside and the leg is outside...HE says..YUP!

Forgot to mention the original owner of my friends boat was JOHN DIEFENBAKER,13th pime minister from 1957-1963 cool hey!

Forgot to mention the original owner of my friends boat was JOHN DIEFENBAKER,13th pime minister from 1957-1963 cool hey!

quote:Originally posted by wildwest

I remember working at Anchorage Marina in Nanaimo in about 1992? Bayliner had a boat with a Force inboard outboard package believe it or not. It was an actual 2 stroke powerhead. I cant remember exactly how the lower unit was attached but Ive never seen them since and I never even got to work on them.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Back