Fraser Sockeye Update

this is just depressing.
its actualy on global news now, natives still get 150,000 of a run that isnt there

I was just on the 10am B.C ferry out from Tsawassen heading to Victoria. On the ferry I look down the coast line towards the Fraser river.. and there are COMMERCIAL SEINE OR GILL NET BOATS EVERY WHERE DOWN THE COAST!!! all setting out there nets!!! All down the coast as far as the eye could see are Red seine or gill nets floats littering the coast line!!!! Knowing the Sockeye run being as bad as it is.. seeing this make me SICK to my stomach! Commercial sockeye are closed from what I know... must be the Natives seinnning/gill netting out there...?? was VERY disturbing to see all the nets all down the coast... [V]

quote:Originally posted by TheRock

I was just on the 10am B.C ferry out from Tsawassen heading to Victoria. On the ferry I look down the coast line towards the Fraser river.. and there are COMMERCIAL SEINE OR GILL NET BOATS EVERY WHERE DOWN THE COAST!!! all setting out there nets!!! All down the coast as far as the eye could see are Red seine or gill nets floats littering the coast line!!!! Knowing the Sockeye run being as bad as it is.. seeing this make me SICK to my stomach! Commercial sockeye are closed from what I know... must be the Natives seinnning/gill netting out there...?? was VERY disturbing to see all the nets all down the coast... [V]

I was also on the ferry and there were a bunch of crab fishers with there strings of pots marked by buoys. I did not see any active gill nets or seine boats. Did you see seine boats setting nets? They do not leave them in the water unattended, they are always attached to the boat.

The commercial boats I saw near the ferry all had big net spoolers at the back of their boats. They were not crab fishermen, they are the natives gill netting all the sockeye. The natives have a food fisheries opening right now.....

Rock, If you can't tell a seine from a gillnet from a crab boat, how do you do with cohoes/pinks/feeder springs?
Sockeye numbers are down in Lake Washington, Port Alberni, Fraser River- lots of places this year. Noone knows why, but we all like to point fingers at certain user groups.
The 2005 and 2006 year classes are the dominant Fraser sockeye years. This year is supposed to suck just not this much. There are 20 odd million pinks swimming around out there, more cohoes than usual, and lots of springs; go get some.

Thankfully the low numbers that are returning to the Fraser are getting netted before they get to their spawning grounds!

quote:Originally posted by tubber

Rock, If you can't tell a seine from a gillnet from a crab boat, how do you do with cohoes/pinks/feeder springs?
Sockeye numbers are down in Lake Washington, Port Alberni, Fraser River- lots of places this year. Noone knows why, but we all like to point fingers at certain user groups.
The 2005 and 2006 year classes are the dominant Fraser sockeye years. This year is supposed to suck just not this much. There are 20 odd million pinks swimming around out there, more cohoes than usual, and lots of springs; go get some.

Your the one who thought they were crab boats! LOL.. I saw commercial boats with big net spoolers on the back of them, and huge red net bouys all down the coast with commercial boats every where around there sets all along the coast before the mouth of the Fraser river!....... Oviously they were netting Sockeye... based on this you are judging me that I can'nt identify what a cohoes/pinks/feeder springs ??? Give me a break... stop being so judgemental.. grow up!! get off this site if your going to be a smart butt... no place for it.

Back