Fraser river sockeye

There is discrepancy between the Area 28 and Area 29 Strait of Georgia Chinook Closure maps. Look at sub-area 28-9.
Here is area 28's map:1660347316870.png

and here is the same map from area 29.
1660347418325.png

Is chinook fishing open or closed in 28-9?
It would be amazing if DFO's information, that we all rely on, were consistent and trust worthy.

FYI unless you ARE a certain user group forget about any rec person getting to keep them

The proposed fisheries are well within the US share at the current adopted run sizes. Canada did not propose any fisheries beyond those First Nations food, social and ceremonial (FSC) fisheries that are currently open or planned to open in the coming days. In-season assessment of all run timing groups generally occurs shortly after identification of their peak migration through marine areas.

OH and FYI its been open for certain user groups AUG 1 in all southern waters

FYI unless you ARE a certain user group forget about any rec person getting to keep them

The proposed fisheries are well within the US share at the current adopted run sizes. Canada did not propose any fisheries beyond those First Nations food, social and ceremonial (FSC) fisheries that are currently open or planned to open in the coming days. In-season assessment of all run timing groups generally occurs shortly after identification of their peak migration through marine areas.

OH and FYI its been open for certain user groups AUG 1 in all southern waters
Yes I was told by the DFO it’s natives first, commercial second, and if there is an over abundance there will be a 2 fish Rec opening, sadly we have nobody speaking for us to get an opening, plus they want to keep everyone buying fish not catching for sustenance

Yes I was told by the DFO it’s natives first, commercial second, and if there is an over abundance there will be a 2 fish Rec opening, sadly we have nobody speaking for us to get an opening, plus they want to keep everyone buying fish not catching for sustenance
That’s not true. We do have great people representing us but when the highest level of government in our land has a definite agenda favoring that “certain sector” and against us then they are almost powerless

If you’ve got the stomach for it you can work to help change the government to help even things up

From Pacific Angler / Jason Tonelli today:

Sockeye Update:
The phones are ringing constantly as everyone wants to know about sockeye. So, let’s get right to it. I was in the DFO & SFAB Sockeye Working Group meeting this past Wednesday and here is what I learned.

Here is the latest info. The estimate of 9.7 million is based on a p50 forecast. The run is tracking closer to the 10% level, especially the past week and a half, so that is called a p10 level. A p10 level will not be sufficient to allow a commercial and recreational harvest and even a p25 level of around 4.35 million in total when the run is said and done, will likely not be enough to trigger an opening.

The main part of the run will be showing up in the next 2 weeks and if things don’t increase to at least a p25 and up to a p50 level by next week then the probability of an opening is very low.

The data coming down the pipe is all tracking p10 to p25, so as each day passes the probability of an opening is certainly decreasing. Sockeye don’t show up 2-3 weeks late, so don’t count on the “they are just late argument.” They have a fairly finite fat reserve and each runs migration window is pretty tight. They have days of reserves, but not weeks. There have also been statistical models run where they pushed the run timing back a week and it still doesn’t look great.

As fishermen, we are always optimistic, and anything can happen, so we hope a huge push shows up that changes things. That being said, it certainly isn’t looking that way as of today. I wish we had better news, but so far this is what the data is telling us. Next meeting with DFO will be next Wednesday and I will have an update in next week’s fishing report.

I’ve said it before, but the okanogan will soon have the best salmon fishing in bc lol. It’s wild that rec guys can’t try to catch a fish in the ocean in Vancouver. Why not limit us to one hook per license or one fish per license before you just drop the hammer and just shut it down completely. We went from fishing to basically nothing very quickly in the lower mainland. I keep buying gear like an idiot

I’ve said it before, but the okanogan will soon have the best salmon fishing in bc lol. It’s wild that rec guys can’t try to catch a fish in the ocean in Vancouver. Why not limit us to one hook per license or one fish per license before you just drop the hammer and just shut it down completely. We went from fishing to basically nothing very quickly in the lower mainland. I keep buying gear like an idiot

First Nations get their million first for fsc, that apprently is their allocation for Fraser sockeye.

Then we get 5% of the remaining TAC

First Nations get their million first for fsc, that apprently is their allocation for Fraser sockeye.

Then we get 5% of the remaining TAC
I’m more talking about all fishing opportunities in lower mainland, not just sockeye. But hope they get their million so that it can be shipped overseas.

From Pacific Angler / Jason Tonelli today:

Sockeye Update:
The phones are ringing constantly as everyone wants to know about sockeye. So, let’s get right to it. I was in the DFO & SFAB Sockeye Working Group meeting this past Wednesday and here is what I learned.

Here is the latest info. The estimate of 9.7 million is based on a p50 forecast. The run is tracking closer to the 10% level, especially the past week and a half, so that is called a p10 level. A p10 level will not be sufficient to allow a commercial and recreational harvest and even a p25 level of around 4.35 million in total when the run is said and done, will likely not be enough to trigger an opening.

The main part of the run will be showing up in the next 2 weeks and if things don’t increase to at least a p25 and up to a p50 level by next week then the probability of an opening is very low.

The data coming down the pipe is all tracking p10 to p25, so as each day passes the probability of an opening is certainly decreasing. Sockeye don’t show up 2-3 weeks late, so don’t count on the “they are just late argument.” They have a fairly finite fat reserve and each runs migration window is pretty tight. They have days of reserves, but not weeks. There have also been statistical models run where they pushed the run timing back a week and it still doesn’t look great.

As fishermen, we are always optimistic, and anything can happen, so we hope a huge push shows up that changes things. That being said, it certainly isn’t looking that way as of today. I wish we had better news, but so far this is what the data is telling us. Next meeting with DFO will be next Wednesday and I will have an update in next week’s fishing report.
Well there goes the theory of good ocean conditions brought big sockeye runs to all the major water sheds. I guess from all the Fraser smolts passing by the discovery channel fish farms getting slaughtered didn’t leave enough left to enjoy the excellent water conditions. Good to see pinks returning the Broughten though after getting those Fish Farms removed.

This years Fraser sockeye return always had a change to be not very good since it was over harvested in 2018.

Fraser early Stuart’s have had a good return this year and guess what they were left alone in 2018.

We harvested this return down to less then 4-5 million In 2018.

I’m pretty confident that this years return will be above 4-5 million. That means year will be returning above brood but certainly nothing to get excited about.

launched at wellington in Ladner yesterday, in the morning one Seine boat waiting to launch ( i assume not a local boat otherwise they could use the reserve launches ) and the another right in front of the Dock with its net out, and we counted 40 or more all the way up to Sandheads. I have a FN wife, and i can tell you the two people launching the seine boat when I arrived were a woman that was half at best certainly not full FN ( might just have status ) and her clearly non FNs male partner with blonde hair. These are people using the system for businesses, and until this is fairly balanced out the stocks and recreational fishing will suffer. I spent 100 on fuel and food in addition to fixing my outboard and new fishing gear, all taxable revenue spent at local shops, then spent the day fishing at Sandheads with my son and caught a few jacks and two sockeyes we tossed released, but 40 or 50 seiners taking in how many sockeye ? to be just sold at the road side, Craig's list or market place and all for all non taxable revenue, and we cant keep two fish, think about this. I cant wait till this government is out. I just want to highlight this, those seiners while they have a license and allotted time to have nets out, nobody is monitoring that, there is no DFO out checking if the regulations are being followed.

Attachments

• 299042822_1188881278511413_8719006319847587391_n.jpg
    299042822_1188881278511413_8719006319847587391_n.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

50+ LEGAL openings on Chinook over the last 4 months targeting extreme stocks of concern.

Saltwater anglers are restricted at best to slot limits to "protect" Chinook stocks of concern even though almost all Upper Fraser stocks have passed the marine areas. Yet from Spuzzum to the saltwater there is rampant legal and illegal netting.

9 million sockeye returned to the mouth of the Fraser in 2018 and DFO allowed a DOCUMENTED harvest of almost 6 million fish.....

Back