Fraser river sockeye

Every 4 years is the big run, this is the year, so many questions, numbers look good, but with our poor leadership on all sides (DFO, provincial government, and federal government) do we all think we are gonna get a recreational fishing opening, this is one of my favorite fishing trips I hope there is an opening

Every 4 years is the big run, this is the year, so many questions, numbers look good, but with our poor leadership on all sides (DFO, provincial government, and federal government) do we all think we are gonna get a recreational fishing opening, this is one of my favorite fishing trips I hope there is an opening
I sure hope so too. I don’t have much confidence in DFO though. The same ministry that oversaw the collapse of the N.L. Cod fishery and absolute decimation of the Fraser River fishery by encouraging disease ridden fish farms.

soon be a cooler full on the side of the road for sale soon ....sadly just easier to wave a $$$ than rely on DFO giving us any hope of a decent opening

I ran the boat from Maple Ridge to Steveston and back yesterday to go for dinner with friends and I lost count at 25 boats with nets strung side to side. Tugs & barges were giving them all 5 long blasts trying to navigate the mayhem. Every boat I saw looked quite busy & successful in their haul.

Almost halfway through August. Are we going to get a notice the night before, or none at all? I've got vacations to schedule, guests coming into town, hotel + moorage to book. Just tell us it's going to be closed so we can move on...

Almost halfway through August. Are we going to get a notice the night before, or none at all? I've got vacations to schedule, guests coming into town, hotel + moorage to book. Just tell us it's going to be closed so we can move on...
I suspect if there's no announcement on Friday we will continue to get the shaft

I suspect if there's no announcement on Friday we will continue to get the shaft
With the early summers forecast being chopped in half a pile of summers and late summers are going to need to show up in test fisheries within the next couple of days to have a chance of a fishery at any point this year let alone by next weekend.

Americans getting a commercial opening.

The Fraser River Panel met Friday, August 12, to receive an update on the migration of Fraser River sockeye salmon and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed. It is currently estimated that 1,523,500 sockeye have passed the Mission hydroacoustics site. The Panel adopted a run size of 244,000 for Early Stuart sockeye with an associated Area 20 timing of July 6 and a run size of 792,000 with an associated Area 20 timing of August 4 for Early Summerrun sockeye at today’s meeting. On August 11 the discharge of the Fraser River at Hope was 4,194 cms, which is approximately 19% higher than average for this date. The temperature of the Fraser River at Qualark Creek on August 11 was 18.90C, which is 0.4 0C above average for this date. Fraser River discharge levels and water temperatures will be monitored closely to determine if specific management actions are required during the in-river migratory period to help achieve sockeye escapement goals.

CANADIAN FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS All Canadian Panel Area waters remain closed to commercial salmon fishing.

UNITED STATES FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS TREATY TRIBAL FISHERY:

Areas 4B, 5, and 6C: Extend for drift gillnet fishing from 12 p.m. (noon), Saturday, August 13, 2022 through 12 p.m. (noon), Wednesday, August 17, 2022. Areas 6, 7, and 7A: Open for net fishing from 5 a.m., Saturday, August 13, 2022 through 9 a.m. Monday, August 15, 2022.

ALL CITIZEN FISHERY: Areas 7: Open for reef net fishing from 5 a.m. through 9 p.m., Saturday, August 13, 2022. The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on Tuesday, August 16, 2022.

If it's any consolation the Sockeye run featured in the Brooks Falls Grizzly webcam still has all kinds of fish showing up somewhat late-very coloured up by now but thick.

Back