Found prawn trap- Washington?

Charter Tofino

After that big storm what looks like a prawn trap washed up and was hungup on a reef infront of where we are staying. I paddled out today and hauled about 300ft of rope up and it was stuck on the bottom but i eventually either ripped the trap off or it was just sumerbed rope that hung up. It had no name on the floats but had a tag with WDWF neatly zap strapped with a what looked like a float number. Any ideas? Quick google shows washington fish and wildlife. Thats a long drift to north nanaimo.

Where would i send the info?Not much to turn in as there is no traps just the 300ft of rope and some crappy floats with alot of growth. Also i meant WDFW in the first post.

If what you are saying is correct, you can just call DFO and turn it in! They should handle from there?

Yes call DFO they'll make a project out of it.

NOT worth it [:p]

JUST FISHEN'

quote:Originally posted by Gypseas

Yes call DFO they'll make a project out of it.

NOT worth it
Yea, you're probably right! If anything, WDFW would only be interested in the tracking numbers anyway... you could just send an email to the following discribing what you found, the numbers, and forget about it? Doug.Thompson@dfw.wa.gov

Hey Kelly , bury it in your back yard or you'll cost us all a million or 2 on the DFO study that will take place!

Found a lot of "floats"...no line attached washed up along the Brookes Peninsula the past few years while in Kyuquot. Lots of them just like you describe from both Washington State and Oregon.

I kept a couple of the nicer ones....I didn't concern myself too much with reporting them?

Back