For Sale 1992 Commander 30

Well I wasn't going to leave for the new owner to fix regardless. Still for sale, I'm in no rush though. I'm not going to let it go for less than I'm asking and I still need a boat in the meantime. If something great comes along then I might change my tune. The used market is pretty poopy though.
Do we know what we’re lookin for?

Those commander (condo on water) are almost impossible to replace,buy a Bayliner ??? I sure hope not lol, lots of other styles with the amenity down bellow but completely different with the family aboard. Hope you keep it and be without major issues in the future, good luck

You have now found your mechanic.
You have spent the money for your mechanic to get thoroughly acquainted with your boat, it's specific issues explain them to you and fix them.

The hard part is done.

Visit your mechanic every second year for a good inspection is their work. I only say every second year due to the location difference between home port and mechanic.

Go enjoy your boat and start a love affair.
You are actually in a good place.

You will have to do the same thing to any used boat you buy unless it has fresh power.

Yours truly,
Dr. Toughlove

You have spent the money for your mechanic to get thoroughly acquainted with your boat, it's specific issues explain them to you and fix them.

The hard part is done.

Visit your mechanic every second year for a good inspection is their work. I only say every second year due to the location difference between home port and mechanic.

You will have to do the same thing to any used boat you buy unless it has fresh power.

Yours truly,
Dr. Toughlove
There is a reason why guide boats put fresh power every 2-3 years , broken down is not an option for them, and whoever owns a boat know it breaks down more often Then we all wish for 😡😡

Big commercial fishboats do not put fresh power in every few years, except for the yahoos, and ordinarily run one main engine. They too have restricted fishing times that are very costly to miss with break downs.

I guess my point is that the good mechanic is key. Whether it is outboards or inboards.
Otherwise you are into fresh power every few years.
I am very mechanically inclined and have different mechanics for my Volvo and my Yamahas.
Both are now reliable and give me joy.

Big commercial fishboats do not put fresh power in every few years, except for the yahoos, and ordinarily run one main engine. They too have restricted fishing times that are very costly to miss with break downs.
Well not sure what commercial boat your talking about , guides where I fish swap there power 90% of the time between 1000 to 1500 hrs,whale watching boats the same, how long does that take ???the ones that don’t ,end up broken down and loose part of the short season they have, see it all the time, PS I fish out of Renfrew there is no boat shop close by, minor issue can cost them a month. There a guy at the marina now that takes care of the peasant ( regular Joe fisherman) and he is lines up with boat repairs all season he can’t keep up lol

Well not sure what commercial boat your talking about , guides where I fish swap there power 90% of the time between 1000 to 1500 hrs,whale watching boats the same, how long does that take ???the ones that don’t ,end up broken down and loose part of the short season they have, see it all the time, PS I fish out of Renfrew there is no boat shop close by, minor issue can cost them a month. There a guy at the marina now that takes care of the peasant ( regular Joe fisherman) and he is lines up with boat repairs all season he can’t keep up lol
Big commercial fishing boats like a troller, seiner, gillnetter etc

Big commercial fishing boats like a troller, seiner, gillnetter etc
Ya different ball game, most run diesel inboards, and get a few days openings 2-3 times a year for a few days, I am talking guys on the water every day for 4 month straight

Ya different ball game, most run diesel inboards, and get a few days openings 2-3 times a year for a few days, I am talking guys on the water every day for 4 month straight
Maintenance is key, all the small commercial boats I've run that are well maintained rarely ever have serious issues. The only consistent issues are usually caused by operator error and involve gearboxes or props, and any decently run company will have spares ready to go when the inevitable happens! Popping engines happens now and then but has become much less common over the years in my experience, as the potential problems are well documented at this point.

We used to run the entire summer, ah, the good old days.
Fishing opportunities may be more limited these days, but mechanical issues remain the same.
Also the old time fisherman ( commercial) most are well verse at turning a wrench and have lots of spare parts on board to fix on the water, in the off season they work on getting the old rig ready for the season, average joe that needs the marine shop to fix any minor issues is different scenario lol

Also the old time fisherman ( commercial) most are well verse at turning a wrench and have lots of spare parts on board to fix on the water, in the off season they work on getting the old rig ready for the season, average joe that needs the marine shop to fix any minor issues is different scenario lol
I resemble that guy, in 35 years I only missed 1/2 a day fishing because of a break down and didn't have the part.

I resemble that guy, in 35 years I only missed 1/2 a day fishing because of a break down and didn't have the part.
Similar, missed a half day waiting on VM Dafoe to fly a shaft into Alert Bay.
As stated, I am very mechanically inclined. When commercial fishing I did the work and I had a very good machinist to fix what the Renault and Volvo engineers did wrong.

Now, I run a desk for the day job and have 2 separate mechanics for my fun times, because now I value my time on the water as much as when I made bank commercial fishing earlier. This is why I am guessing it is so frustrating for @brutus and @Rain City, you make sacrifices to get on the water and the machine lets you down, biggly.

I still wrench the twin cats on mybig boat. Those engines are still a joy to wrench in a large engine room.
Yamahas and Big Green Vulvas in confined spaces or hanging off the stern, not so much.

The hard part is done.

Yours truly,
Dr. Toughlove

THIS.

Back