Food Saver Vac Sealer - Helpful hints

Finished Business

I use the Foodsaver Vac Sealer (original clamshell style) for my vaccuum sealing. Its in no way the best sealer on the market, but it's affordable, and for the most part gets the job done.

When I started sealing, I figured, bag in push button and go. It worked, but over the last couple years of heavy use, I've learned a few techniques that further improve the quality of seal that I get with my basic FoodSaver. I'm sure alot of guys use them, and if so, give these a try and you will see a vast improvement in the quality of seal, and the shelf life increase drastically, due to less bag seperation and freezerburn.

Here's some things I do...

Bag choice: 6 or 11" bags.

-I want at least 1" on either side of the filet when in the bag. In other words don't put a filet that is 5+" wide in the 6" bags.
-and 2" of extra bag at the tail and head of the filet. 18" filet = 26" bag. The extra 2" is for the portion of the bag that is inserted into the machine. Fish over 20lbs I leave 4" extra at either end of the filet.

Filet Prep: The most important step.

-I use a piece of plywood to make a flat surface or shelf in my deep freeze. Either put it ontop of the stuff in the chest freezer, or clear a shelf in the standing freezer, depending how many fish I am doing. This is so you have something flat to lay your filets on.
-wrap 1 side of the plywood with tinfoil or wax paper. Heavy Duty tinfoil works best and doesn't tear. The light stuff will. Wax paper is good no matter what.
-lay your filets (skin down) on the plywood/shelf. do not have them touching. Once your filets are laid out, take Saran Wrap (or similar product) and lay it piece by piece covering each filet completely, pressing the Saran onto the filet so as little air as possible is left under the Saran Wrap. I do each piece individually and then put a final layer of Saran, covering all the filets as best I can.
-Let them freeze for 18 to 36 hours depending on freezer strength, OR until the filet has just become frozen solid.
-Remove from freezer by taking plywood/shelf out. Take off all the Saran, it should come off very easily.
-Lift the filets off the board by lifting the Alufoil/wax paper, and peel it carefully off the skin side of the filet.
-Once you have your frozen filet off the board, run the meat side under cold water for a brief second, enough to dampen the meat (a spray bottle works too)
-From there put it immidiately into your pre-made bag.

Sealing:

Once you have your filets in their pre-made bags its time to seal them up.
Although they are damp from the cold water, I use the dry function. And I set the vaccuum to as fast suction as possible.
Instead of using the auto function, I use the pulse function. That way you can vaccuum for as long as you choose.
Prior to sealing, I take a damp cloth and whipe the rubber sealing strips down with water. It seems to create a far better seal when the unit is vaccuuming. Once I do ALL that, I start pulse sealing. Once it has no more air to vaccuum I hit the seal button and finish it up.
One more overkill step I do is double sealing each end of the bag.

Using this method, my foodsaver has kept working away for 3 years now. I have pulled filets out of the deepfreeze a year after they went in (I date the bags) and it was as good as a frozen filet a week old. You could not tell the difference between the two.

If you use the FoodSaver Sealers, give this method a go, and you will be extremely impressed with the quality your little sealer can produce....It just needs a helping hand! Happy Sealing!

-FB-

Thanks for the tips. I just started using the foodsaver this season with varied success. I will try your method next time.

I find the biggest problem is moisture, too much moisture and you can't get a solid seal. Freezing first is a good idea, I pat them with paper towel really dry and it seems to work.

Good tips! I wipe the inside edges of the sealing area of the pre-made bags with paper towel prior to sealing and also before double sealing the bag. Don't hesitate to stop the vacuum process a bit early for fresh fish, prawns, etc. - avoid sucking out too much moisture. Excellent product results.

I have to agree, vacuum sealing is the way to go. I like to wrap them in saran wrap first as well and write the date on with a Sharpy when done for tracking. They stay good for a year but prior to that self imposed expiry date, before the new kill season begins, I like to run all of last year's meat through the smoker and it gets gobbled up.

I kills me to waste any fish.

Tanx for the extra tip's F.B. gotta help ..... I have the same unit. Although I do not like to fillet prior as it exposes pin bones and over time puncher the bag .... I rather chunk style and fillet when ready to use.

HT

I like to use the large aluminum cookie sheets to freeze them on. Also, why do you remove the plastic wrap before sealing in bag? I leave it on for an extra layer of protection.
Ted

I like to use the large aluminum cookie sheets to freeze them on. Also, why do you remove the plastic wrap before sealing in bag? I leave it on for an extra layer of protection.
Ted

never thought of that, but I like to give the fish a quick rinse. it seems to help the bag adhere and get good suction to the fish. It almost glues it to the frozen fish because the fish itself is cold enough to freeze that thing layer of water. By the time its sealed and back in the freezer the dampness has frozen to create an A+ seal.

As far as pinbones puncturing...I've never had the problem with salmon before. The pin bones are fairly soft and don't puncture my bags. Cod bones, crab legs, and prawn tails though...puncture damn near every bag.

I try to pinbone my fish most of the time, but I don't have a proper pinning tool...I plan on buying one in the next couple of days...pricy, but it will last a life time..

http://www.paulsfinest.com/Wusthof-Fishbone-Pliers.html

http://www.paulsfinest.com/Wusthof-Fishbone-Tweezers-7721.html

There are other brands out there but I'm biased to a quality, German made product.

From the reading I've done, most use the tweezers for salmon, and the pliers for courser boned fish (cod ect.). Although I've been successful using regular needle nose pliers but a proper tool makes all the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought some wide tweezers from house of knifes or the kitchen store out in broadmead works great. Those pilers do look nice! hmm...

Another thing I do as well to stop from wrecking the motor is cut paper towel into 3 sections with the 1 piece put inside the bag and put infront of the fish so any moisure gets sucked into the paper towel not into the vacuum sealer and again on alum cookie sheets and into the freezer also.

wolf

We do a quick (10hr+) freeze on our fish before we vacuum pack it. Freezing the fish first on cookie sheets will makes the liquids solid and when you place the item in the bag and run the vacuum there are no run away liquids that damage the seal or the vacuum.

We learned this when we where packaging blue berries and the vacuum packer would crush the fruit. Freezing them first made the fruit solid and then you could suck the package tight and remove all the air and the item remains in good shape.

Just watch out for any bones stick up or it will damage the vacuum bag

If you leave the Saran wrap on when sealing I find it stops the pin bones from breaking the seal.

My wife and I also pre-freeze before vacuum packing. When I get an elk and the burger is ground, we'll make up 8-10 dozen seasoned elk burgers then pre-freeze and vacuum pack them four to a package. Very convenient for camping or family BBQ's.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be fishing.

I bought a FoodSaver vacuum sealer at Costco, and brought it home, wanting to begin preserving my food. an excessive amount of was attending to waste, currently that the children had bumped off. rather than throwing out 0.5 a bag of shredded cheese, I might vacuum seal some, and open it later.

never thought of that, but I like to give the fish a quick rinse. it seems to help the bag adhere and get good suction to the fish. It almost glues it to the frozen fish because the fish itself is cold enough to freeze that thing layer of water. By the time its sealed and back in the freezer the dampness has frozen to create an A+ seal.

As far as pinbones puncturing...I've never had the problem with salmon before. The pin bones are fairly soft and don't puncture my bags. Cod bones, crab legs, and prawn tails though...puncture damn near every bag.

I try to pinbone my fish most of the time, but I don't have a proper pinning tool...I plan on buying one in the next couple of days...pricy, but it will last a life time..

http://www.paulsfinest.com/Wusthof-Fishbone-Pliers.html

http://www.paulsfinest.com/Wusthof-Fishbone-Tweezers-7721.html

There are other brands out there but I'm biased to a quality, German made product.

From the reading I've done, most use the tweezers for salmon, and the pliers for courser boned fish (cod ect.). Although I've been successful using regular needle nose pliers but a proper tool makes all the difference.

Here's a much more cost effective solution http://www.webstaurantstore.com/5-stainless-steel-culinary-tweezers/407TZ05.html

Back