FN0904-Recreational - Halibut: fishery continuing until further notic

I wouldn't be happy with a sept closure. I never said that. You said that MANY anglers fish between sept and December and well...that's false. THe numbers don't lie there is almost nothing ( 30,000lbs) caught in that time frame.

So Joe and Serengeti from their posts would be happy with a Sept. halibut closure...in exchange for no size limit.
Just where did Serengeti come up with 90% would be happy with June to August fishery.
I THINK YOU ARE OUT OF TOUCH!!
Perhaps others on this forum would like to offer their opinion

I believe it comes directly from the data, Fogged In, which clearly shows that year after year after year 90+% of effort occurs June through August and less than 2% of effort occurs after Sep 30th. It doesn't take a Rocket Surgeon to look at the data and figure out that not very many folks are interested in fishing for halibut after August and almost no one does, as a percentage of all license holders, from Oct 1st on. Facts are facts.

Cheers!

Ukee

Never said I'd be ok with it. I guide till sept 15. What I am saying is could have sept fishery and better limits. Easily.

I wouldn't be happy with a sept closure. I never said that. You said that MANY anglers fish between sept and December and well...that's false. THe numbers don't lie there is almost nothing ( 30,000lbs) caught in that time frame.
If you say so....almost nothing caught after the end of August eh...
I guess that says almost all the quota is caught on the west coast.
But where I fish, southern Vancouver Island, we have many fishermen who fish halibut after the end of August
AND we take a small fraction of the total sport allotment
I guess its all about personal fishing preferences and if you fish for profit or sport.

My experience in our area is that the effort for Halibut is actually there but the results aren't always as good. They definately are harder to catch after the middle of September but at least we are permitted to try and catch them

Hey Pat..just step away from this..same ****... same guys .... three years in a row.. :rolleyes: just earlier in the year..o_O. I'm out of here.. wish you all the best and hope to you can show up to your SFAC meeting and put forward some good motions... cheers :)

Hey Joe
it came from the many sport fishermen who fish halibut in Sept thru Nov.
Would you be happy with a Sept. closure?
Can't keep everyone happy!
Tell the many (lol) to fish from April to August. At least be honest and admit it comes special interest group.

oppsss..for you guess ..u know who u are that missed earlier.... thought I would post it again... :)

flogging a dead horse.jpg

Would be pretty easy to take 30-50k off the top of the rec quota each year, which is far less than any of the individual estimation errors let alone the extrapolated error, to ensure Sep through April fishing is secured (based on the very consistent data for those periods). That would allow various possession/monthly/annual quotas and/or the max size limit scenarios to be explored to determine what specific regs are required based on each year's quota. Such a small harvest Oct through April, regardless of amount of effort, there is no way the "full season" crowd can't be taken care of with little to no influence on required regs.

Again, the data is pretty clear. With quotas in the 900k to 1.1M range, the amount of quota required to secure the fishery outside of the core months is insignificant. In fact, the underage from the past few years would easily secure the shoulder season for the next decade …

Cheers!

Ukee

This is a reminder that this Halibut debate has resulted in some bad blood and posts that have become personal in nature in the past. A quick reminder that anything from here on in that results in name calling, or pot stirring for the sake of creating an argument, will result in members being banned. It took too much time to clean up this kind of crap from this forum in the past and we are not going back there. Keep it respectful or leave...the option is yours.

Brian

Back