FN0375-Fraser River Spring Chinook-Areas 18, 19, 20 and 29 - Recreational Fishery Man

yammy5

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0375-Fraser River Spring Chinook-Areas 18, 19, 20 and 29 - Recreational Fishery Management Actions

Further to FN0134, the Department will be implementing a “chinook corridor” containing additional management
measures to protect Fraser River Spring and Summer Chinook populations as they pass through the Strait of
Juan de Fuca to the Fraser River during June and early July. Details of these measures are outlined below.

1. Subareas 19-1 to 19-4, and 20-5.

Effective 00:01 hrs May 05, 2011 until 23:59 hrs June 17, 2011 the daily limit is two (2) chinook salmon per
day which may be wild or hatchery marked between 45 cm and 67 cm or hatchery marked only chinook over 67 cm
in length.

Then,

Effective 00:01 hrs June 18, 2011 until 23:59 hrs July 15, 2011 the daily limit is two (2) chinook salmon per
day of which only one (1) chinook may be greater than 67 cm. The minimum size limit in these areas is 45cm.

2. Subareas 18-1 to 18-6, 18-9, 18-11, 19-5, 19-6 and a portion of 29-4, and 29-5 that lies south from a
point on the east side of Valdes Island located at 49.05.562N/123.39.989W then extending 57 degrees True for
5 nautical miles to a point at 49.08.316N/123.33.669W.

Effective 00:01 hrs May 05, 2011 until 23:59 hrs July 15, 2011 the daily limit is two (2) chinook salmon per
day of which only one (1) chinook may be greater than 67 cm. The minimum size limit in these areas is 62cm.

Notes:

1. Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the Salmon Sport Head Recovery program by labelling and
submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped (Hatchery Marked) chinook and coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire
tags provides critical information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery
Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information. The location of the Head Recovery Depots can be found at
the following site: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tag-etiquette/prize-prix-eng.htm

2. Anglers are requested to release any hatchery marked sockeye. These fish are hatchery raised sockeye and
part of a recovery program designed to increase the numbers of Cultus Lake sockeye.

The term "hatchery marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the adipose fin.

3. Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal waters of British Columbia.
This includes all species of fish in the Fraser River.

4. Rockfish Conservation Areas that are currently in effect and are closed to all fin fishing. Descriptions
of these closures, and other recreational fishing information, can be found on the Internet at:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.htm

5. Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call the Fisheries and Ocean
Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line at: (800) 465-4336.

6. For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at: (866) 431-FISH.

Variation Order No. 2011-231.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact the local DFO office in your area for further information.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0375
Sent May 3, 2011 at 12:02
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

I would say fisheries know how much money this group gives back to our fishery.

GOT LUBE!!!!! its all BULL shiat..... but watch out FN will be netting them and hope you boys in van post pics of them netting them please....

Wolf

Cheers All,

Sadly I tend to think along the same lines as Wolf...and, until I see that the natives along the river are allowing ALL these fish to pass upstream totally unmolested, I also call out on this as just a ploy to appease native demands for more fish. :(

The JDF derby was considered in this decision, and the FN keep their nets out of the water until the 3rd week of June to reduce their impacts on these fish, (which was a reduction of 50% last year, and rec fisheries have to do the same). The forecast run size of these fish returning this year is very low, like 10% of long term average.

Hmmm. Derby & Conservation isn't that an oxymoron kinda like Army intelligence!

Go on to jdf website and have a look at how much $ they have donated to conservation groups.

I agree with Trev. They have donated a hell of a lot more than the average derby. No doubt about the fact that DFO opens up retention as a resutl of the JDF derby. Not even DFO bites the hand that feeds.

I agree with Trev. They have donated a hell of a lot more than the average derby. No doubt about the fact that DFO opens up retention as a resutl of the JDF derby. Not even DFO bites the hand that feeds.

I'm not disagreeing that Derbies put a lot of money back into hatcheries but so too should our tax dollars & fishing lic.fees i guess you can equate it to the med. system in Canada we'll help you build it ie:(new Vic. Jub. hospital ) but the Gov. expects hospital foundation groups & private donations to fund it & supply further equipment needed to run it.Look no further than your unfortunate accident Trev do you think you would like it if you had to rely on a raffle or derby to fix the problem.

I watched a very enlightening & informative Nature show on PBS.org re: Salmon:Running the Guantlet.A documentry of the collapsing Pacific salmon population & man's attempt to replicate every stage of the fish's life cycle.The April 20/11 video is still available for viewing on the pbs.org web site if any of you are interested.

By the way Shepnoir i disagree the Govt. continues to bite the hand that feeds them look no further than the halibut allocation, be prepared for another four years of chewing.

Hey i agree with you Sammy we should be getting funding from other sources as well but were not and fisheries knows that ,thats why the jdf has pull.
Thank god there's no raffle for this finger or i'd have to learn to shoot lefty.

and for all you sidney anglers:

Effective 00:01 hrs May 05, 2011 until 23:59 hrs July 15, 2011 the daily limit is two (2) chinook salmon per
day of which only one (1) chinook may be greater than 67 cm. The minimum size limit in these areas is 62cm.

5 cm slot????? whats the point???

Gettin dizzy from all this head shakin'

Dream on about the FN nets staying out of the water until the 3rd week of June. They didn't last year, whats going to change that? If you think the FN layed off last year have a chat with Chris Bos...he might divulge a story.

Certainly the SPINELESS SHEA and voted in PC's won't stand up to FN. The government is a joke when the FN do their thing, I do not mind their food fishery on stocks not at risk, but they know full well the selling of Sox a few years ago was wrong, along with many other FN and Fisheries issues. The government are a bunch of chickens their to only collect a Pension in the end.... Yet we the sport fishers that put the most into the economy as a whole take the blame and the biggest hit on the fisheries issue. I'll be hitting the borders of area 17 .... allot this year.

HT

The question is really how badly does the government want to push an issue and will they win in court if the FN takes them there on this issue? The tale of the tape is that the DFO's record is more losses than wins, and would they win in this situation...probably not, as these early timed Faser chinook returns are so small that there really shouldn't be any fishing pressure on them...but DFO allows some harvest to keep marine rec fisheries open, which we all know are highly valuable to everyone in many ways. The alternative to the 45-67 and the 62-67 is that the rec fishery is closed when these fish are being caught, than beyond that the native fishery would close...Hopefully we will never get there.

I'm not disagreeing that Derbies put a lot of money back into hatcheries but so too should our tax dollars & fishing lic.fees i guess you can equate it to the med. system in Canada we'll help you build it ie:(new Vic. Jub. hospital )

DFO states that the Prizes that are available for the Head Recovery program comes from the fishing lic.fees. although i don't understand how the province transfers those funds to the federal just for the prize draw.

Didn't see any nets on the Fraser last few days between Mission and mouth Harrison but I did see lots of seals. Seen couple feeding on red flesh with can only be the early spring run. I think the only answer to this problem is a ceremonial seal food harvest.

Back