Fly Fishing Frustrations

Hey all,
No matter how hard i try, no matter where i go, it seems i cant catch a fish on a fly. Im in the southern Island, can anyone suggest a place where i could easily catch my first fish on a fly rod, just to eliminate those jitters and doubts? Thanks guys,
NSF

Durrance lake has been pretty good. Use a type 6 sink fly line and let all of the line out if you want to troll around the lake. If you want to fly fish, and cast (which I recommend) work the shoals with a very slow retrieve on a floating line and a 9-12ft leader. Try using a fly with a bit of weight, pretty much any leach pattern. I've been having success with a size 8 fly tied in with a zonker rabbit strip in either olive or dark brown, black body and olive hackle, with 5-7 wraps of 0.20 lead wire for weight. So a pretty heavy fly in order to get down deep.

Good luck

Kunni

Bellyboat with 2 rods. 1 side full sink with leech or dragon, just mooch along with that.
The other side use a sink tip or float and cast to targets as you kick along.
This was a great set up for me until I got into Chrono fishing. gl

Been doing good drifting a peacock green chenille body with olive maribou tail at Langford in front of the fishing wharf when no ones on it. Thought it kind of ironic that the hot spot was there after previously covering a lot of water.

As for places you can easily go to catch a trout on a fly. I can only tell you where it was yesterday, but unfortunately it wasn't the same today. Tommorrow? Who knows? That's the way it goes.

When trolling flies try zig-zag and semi-circle maneuvers.Changing direction,speed and depth to better imitate the real thing.

Also be sure to tie a non-slip loop knot to your fly, this will give your offering maximum action. Good luck.

Back