Fluky Fishing Moment

Great stories all!!

Was north of Hardy with family from Manitoba chasing salmon, halibut and whales. We had a few salmon in the boat and were dragging the bottom for hali. We using 24oz jig heads with white tails...bang, bang, bang. Suddenly, I feel a hook up, but it felt weird, lots of head shaking and swimming around in circles. I pass the rod off to my BIL and get him to play it to the boat. When I reach down to gaff it, I see the jig head/tail, but no fish.....I then see a long line quick release attached to the hook. I hand line the jig in to the boat , then grab the long line and hand line it until the 30lbs chicken comes to the side of the boat. A quick gaff and it is the boat.

My guess the halibut was interested in the jig and as it was swimming around, my jig hooked up the quick release and the game was on. The hali had a circle hook in the corner of its mouth. Ended up with the quick release, 2m of heavy mono, a circle hook and a nice chicken.

I wonder how the hali got off the long line and how long was it swimming around?

Cheers

SS

Years ago was with Murphy 20 miles off Kyuquot and trolled up a rather large humboldt squid... we were admiring our alien catch when a good size salmon shark bit it in half at the side of the boat... 5 min later we hooked the shark for a 30 sec. thumb burning rip before the leader sheared off. Crazy show... great memory. I have an explosive on-the-water **** story too... but I'll save that for another day. ;)

Once my father and I were fishing for lings at Porlier Pass. We're hooking into quite a few undersized ones. A small tug, short fight, reel-in only to release and try again. Once again, small tug, short fight, reel, reel reel... and then WHAM! Suddenly we have a big fight, rod zinging back out. Eventually got it back to the boat to see a small ling had taken the lure, and on the way up a MONSTER ling had attemped to swollow the small ling, only it somehow swam right out of the big lings gills, snaging it in the process. Only time I've ever caught two fish at the same time on one lure.

Once my father and I were fishing for lings at Porlier Pass. We're hooking into quite a few undersized ones. A small tug, short fight, reel-in only to release and try again. Once again, small tug, short fight, reel, reel reel... and then WHAM! Suddenly we have a big fight, rod zinging back out. Eventually got it back to the boat to see a small ling had taken the lure, and on the way up a MONSTER ling had attemped to swollow the small ling, only it somehow swam right out of the big lings gills, snaging it in the process. Only time I've ever caught two fish at the same time on one lure.
Lots of good Ling stories out there. I had one follow a rockfish up last summer. Didn't bite it, but I left the rockfish in the water, on the line. Ling took up residence under the boat and would occasionally poke it's nose out and take a swipe at the rock fish. I waited patiently, rock fish leader in one hand, gaff in the other. Took two tries, but I gaffed a 25lb ling free swimming as it came out for that rock fish from under the boat.

Back