FIVE NATIONS MULTI-SPECIES FISHERY MANAGEMENT PLAN

I'm old enough to remember the "good old days" when once the seiners and gill nets got their first opening of the summer we went from having decent fishing 7 days a week to maybe 1 if you were lucky. Even abundant pinks became scarce during their cycle year and the few you found had scale loss and net scars. The start of the big decline was a result of to large and efficient a commercial net fleet and DFO allowing them too many fishing days a week. They got cut back to fewer days as stocks began to dwindle but nothing was done to reverse the damage. When a net opening in a strait chokes off almost all those migrating fish...how would they ever reach the spawning grounds in numbers that would keep the fishery sustainable? Coho and steelhead were the first to tank because of this fishery.

Yeah and what happens when the few boats catch the quota will they call it a day no they gonna come after the recs and commercial quota and buy the sounds of it they may have that right and priority according to the courts.

My comments were in regard to this issue raised by Searun and the industrialization of the commercial and 5 nations fishery. There is an obvious parallel in how industrialized the "sport" fleet has become too yet that is ignored in the context of catching power of the various parties.
Gone are the days when I was a kid chasing around salmon in a 12ft tinnie, a herring rake and.................... well that was it. At that time a big boat was a 16 foot tinnie and there were no chart plotters, GPS devices, radars, electric downriggers, pot pullers, lodges at the head of every inlet, self made guide ads all over the internet and facebook, etc etc etc. So industrialization of "the fleet" applies quite aptly to sport fishing too.
Everyone could catch salmon 35 years ago with a slip weight and a herring rake there was no need for a downrigger or fancy sonar. It’s certainly not the sport fisherman that wiped out many of the runs. The commies hit the coho so hard in the Georgia Straight in the late 80’s they have still not recovered. Used to see massive schools circling in Lesquiti and you could tell what direction they were going in by what boats lines were peeling off the next year they were gone.
Now you can get all the fancy gear you want but a lot harder to catch fewer fish and as a sport fisherman your retention limits dictate how many fish you can retain and I’m sure you know it’s a lot less than it used to be so not really a parallel to say the sport fishery is an industrial fleet.

What is “many commies have to fish with cameras “ mean? 10 %, 20% of the fleet?
100% of the ground fish boats. if there is a south salmon season for chum that will be 100% observed. The trollers I believe is mandatory log books but I dont think they have a camera..... yet.

The challenge with cameras on trollers is where to position them to capture not only catch that comes on board, but also shakers, condition at release etc. Same challenge for guide boats - although some experimental work happening to design a viable process. Guides also have log books, lodge creel/bio=sampling, and there are good Avid Anglers on the water documenting both catch and bio-sampling rec catch to help further build DNA stock composition and run timings. Over 60,000 samples so far, which is very significant. The fishery plan for 5 Nations is to replicate same level of bio-sampling and catch reporting. I haven't seen the actual data yet, but will eventually.

Everyone could catch salmon 35 years ago with a slip weight and a herring rake there was no need for a downrigger or fancy sonar. It’s certainly not the sport fisherman that wiped out many of the runs. The commies hit the coho so hard in the Georgia Straight in the late 80’s they have still not recovered. Used to see massive schools circling in Lesquiti and you could tell what direction they were going in by what boats lines were peeling off the next year they were gone.
Now you can get all the fancy gear you want but a lot harder to catch fewer fish and as a sport fisherman your retention limits dictate how many fish you can retain and I’m sure you know it’s a lot less than it used to be so not really a parallel to say the sport fishery is an industrial fleet.
As usual these facts are wrong. The bulk of the coho in the straight of Georgia are/were Washington state fish. Once the Boldt decision came out and gave priority access to FN in Washington state the hatchery programs were cut way back. Lately the fish in Puget sound have been having the same ocean survival issues as our fish, hence the low numbers. It is easy to point fingers at the other guy though.

Subject:
FN0484-Review of Five Nations Multi-species Fishery Management Plan 2021/22 - Salmon, Groundfish, Crab, Prawn, Gooseneck Barnacle, Sea Cucumber

The Five Nations Multi-species Fishery Management Plan (FMP) 2021/22 for Salmon, Groundfish, Crab, Prawn, Gooseneck Barnacle, and Sea Cucumber was released on April 15, 2021.

The Department is currently reviewing the 2021-22 Five Nations Multi-Species Fishery Management Plan (FMP) following the April 19, 2021 decision by the British Columbia Court of Appeal.

The Department is taking the necessary time to properly review the decision of the British Columbia Court of Appeal and will be in further communication via fishery notice with respect to any changes to the FMP.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Andrea Goruk, Senior Implementation Advisor (Andrea.Goruk@dfo-mpo.gc.ca)

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0484
Sent May 20, 2021 at 1119

Gillnetter pretty pissed about this one, the reallocations continues, small craft fishery but now you can bring in a gilnetter for it. Working as intended I guess

Fishery Notice​

Category(s):
ABORIGINAL - General Information
ABORIGINAL - Salmon: Economic Opportunities
COMMERCIAL - General Information
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Troll
RECREATIONAL - General Information
RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject:
FN0703-Five Nations Multi-species Fishery Management Plan 2021/22 - Changes to Chinook Allocations

As previously communicated in FN0484, DFO is in the process of reviewing the Five Nations Multi-species Fishery Management Plan (FMP) in order to align it with the April 2021 BC Court of Appeal decision.

The review of the Five Nations Chinook allocations is now complete and DFO will be implementing the following changes immediately.

The FMP's AABM Chinook allocation has been increased from 12.17% to 14.98% of the available catch remaining after requirements for FSC/Treaty have been deducted from the WCVI AABM CTAC.

The FMP's Nearshore/Terminal Conuma Chinook allocation has been increased from 15.2% to 30.5% of the CTAC, where the CTAC is the total estimated return to Conuma after accounting for escapement requirements, and FSC/Treaty obligations. In addition, gillnet gear configurations (length and mechanical hauling) commensurate with the Area D fleet is now authorized under the FMP. Where other changes are made to fisheries under the FMP, these will be communicated subsequently.

It is anticipated that the FMP document will be formally amended and released this fall.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Andrea Goruk, Senior Implementation Advisor (Andrea.Goruk@dfo-mpo.gc.ca)

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0703
Sent July 19, 2021 at 1502

Why anybody would spends 10's or even 100's of thousands of dollars on boats and equipment to harvest any species that FN has their eyes on is delusional. The handwriting is on the wall in big black bold letters fully supported by DFO. Good luck getting your money back out of your investment in a few short years from now.

Why anybody would spends 10's or even 100's of thousands of dollars on boats and equipment to harvest any species that FN has their eyes on is delusional. The handwriting is on the wall in big black bold letters fully supported by DFO. Good luck getting your money back out of your investment in a few short years from now.
True words !

Lol it’s not an investment and I’ll enjoy it for as long as I can while I continue to voice my disgust with the sport fishery management and completely corrupt FN fishery

The Ahousaht, Ehattesaht, Hesquiaht, Mowachaht/Muchalaht and Tla-o-qui-aht First Nations (Five Nations) Communal Sale Fishery for salmon and groundfish by hook and line (trolling, rod and reel, handline) and gill net opened July 1, 2021 at 00:01 hours and continues on July 22, 2021 at 00:01 hours with the following changes: - Chinook allocation has been increased as per Fishery Notice FN0703. The available Chinook catch is 4,758 pieces, pending an in-season reforecast in early August

. - Larger gill nets and hydraulic devices for hauling are permitted.

- There is no minimum size limit for Chinook caught by gill net.

Back