Fishing with more than 1 lure/hook on a line

Confused

I was watching one of our local west coast fishing shows as they fished for halibut. They were using spreader bars with a hootchie, which is normal for a lot of people, but they also had what appeared to be a "mudraker" type jig on the spreader bar where most put a lead ball.
I was under the impression that you cant have more than 1 lure on a line, that is capable of catching more than one fish?? if you do have more than 1 hook it must be for holding a single piece of bait.
Is there an interpretation that I am missing?

I was watching one of our local west coast fishing shows as they fished for halibut. They were using spreader bars with a hootchie, which is normal for a lot of people, but they also had what appeared to be a "mudraker" type jig on the spreader bar where most put a lead ball.
I was under the impression that you cant have more than 1 lure on a line, that is capable of catching more than one fish?? if you do have more than 1 hook it must be for holding a single piece of bait.
Did it have a hook on the Mudraker??
if so it is illegal as far as I know

Pretty sure in the base regulations there’s something about illegal to catch 1 fish at a time. Not sure how using herring jigs works in all this.

There was a sting operation by DFO on a guide who got busted and fined for hanging two grubs 4 inches apart for hali.
I'd post a link, but I like to believe he has moved on and is generally well-respected.

Last edited:
I remember seeing this on Reel West Coast a few weeks back. They actually said "got him on the mudraker?" Which I thought was odd too. As they clearly had it rigged as the "weight".

I remember seeing this on Reel West Coast a few weeks back. They actually said "got him on the mudraker?" Which I thought was odd too. As they clearly had it rigged as the "weight".
yah i think this is what the OP is referencing. when i saw that i was wondering about the legality of this. as long as the mud raker lead doesn’t exceed the maximum weight i don’t see the problem as you can fish tandem hooks to fish; however the above bullet point is giving me pause where it says something about both hooks need to be in one piece of meat.

yah i think this is what the OP is referencing. when i saw that i was wondering about the legality of this. as long as the mud raker lead doesn’t exceed the maximum weight i don’t see the problem as you can fish tandem hooks to fish; however the above bullet point is giving me pause where it says something about both hooks need to be in one piece of meat.
I emailed DFO they are fine with stinger hooks on Hootchies and spoons But the regs are really ambiguous on this as far as I can tell.

I beleive at one point I read a reg that said some this as you may not rig hooks on such a way that it is possible to catch more then one fish.

Last edited:
I emailed DFO they are fine with stinger hooks on Hootchies and spoons But the regs are really ambiguous on this as far as I can tell.

I beleive at one point I read a reg that said some this as you may not rig hooks on such a way that it is possible to catch more then one fish.
That's how I read it too. Not rigged in a way which could catch two fish. Clearly on a spreader with two separate lures you "could" catch two fish.

Back