Fishing Rupert

drad2k4

I am heading to Rupert for the July long weekend. Never fished up there before. Does anyone have any information on what to use, where to fish or know a good place to get that information. Will the springs still be good then?

Hi drad, your timing is good, Squatterie and Dundas are good and cut plug herring, true roll lures have done the trick for me.

Hi drad, your timing is good, Squatterie and Dundas are good and cut plug herring, true roll lures have done the trick for me.

Drad,July 1st. week can be smoking hot I recall one particular trip with Westwind Tugboat Cruises we fished a remote island only accesed by a large boat like ours;)(85')...the group was in for brunch(eggs Parry) by 11am with 10 springs 40lbs. +... along with the manager i landed my personal best 65lbs.being the 1st. ones on the hot spot we limited out before 9:30am.(it doesn't hurt either that each night you anchor on the hot spots)... after lunch i was kidnapped by a reg. client & guided him to 2 more in the 40's...yes as g.s said cut plugging large herring is the prefered method.

By the way g.s I picked up a true roll(copy) on our anchor rode from some duffus who insisted on trolling to close to our anchor set up... let's just say that piece of plastic went on to shine for the rest of the year...A buddy @ Trotac marine(Victoria) hooked me up with the org. Stewart B.C True Roll ...report to fallow;)...sammy

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the people involved with the lure and they have spent a lot of time working on this concept and did not market it with out positive results. I have caught some very big springs on the blue and silver one.

The true roll I scooped(caught on the anchor rode) was a copy it was made here in Victoria... if i recall someone told me that the Victoria company bought the the rights? to true roll.This particular one had the same name? but had implemented a design modification.
I was told that the original prototype was carved from wood...anyways I liked cutplugging so i'll give the old lure another try...by the way have you found if speed effects the presentation when trolling?... mostly my experience with the lure has been with winter spring fishing... let's say they're not as picky(mature srings) when it comes to presentation/lure type...sammy

I know the people involved with the lure and they have spent a lot of time working on this concept and did not market it with out positive results. I have caught some very big springs on the blue and silver one.

Gunsmith, are you going to Rupert this season? If so, when will you be there?

TB

Yes I will be there, not as early or as long as I would like, but since I am back to work fulltime, so it must be. My boat is named Elsie Wray.
Sammy the plastics are made by Scotty, and they may have sold the rights since I last spoke to them.

Yes I will be there, not as early or as long as I would like, but since I am back to work fulltime, so it must be. My boat is named Elsie Wray.
Sammy the plastics are made by Scotty, and they may have sold the rights since I last spoke to them.

g.s, scotty it is! good luck up there...bad thing about work it gets in the way of fishing!...sammy

You bet! My biggest issue is I work all my life to get to this and then I have to go back to work to pay to run the outfit. I am lucky that I got a job I really enjoy. I have a lot to learn about boating and fishing but without following people around I am gradually finding my secret honey holes.

Gunsmith,
I may be out there about the same time. Around July long and my Boat is "The Boss", 27' Lifetimer. I think I recall you saying you have a Wolf boat, is that right? I will keep an eye out for you and say Hi. Sounds like I should pick up a true roll and give it a go!!

TB

You can google it or you can buy a guide made from plastic which helps. I just cut at about 45deg and take out the guts without damaging the body. Hooking it up is explained on google but I tried until I got a satisfactory roll.
Happy Hooking!

You should be able to request it from stores like Cabela's or Bass pro shops. If asked for they will aquire them. Otherwise most tackle shops near the saltwater fishing towns will have them.

Thanks for the link Finally some good info. For sure Boss I will keep an eye out for you.

Sammy,
Could you tell us where to get a true roll lure?

Thanks!

Nootka, I'll check with my supplier & get back to you when i know more. like gs says there are 2 options(#1 from Pr. Rupert: #2 scotty or scott plastics Victoria) the one i tested/found was the scotty true roll...both are slightly diff. design.Have the org. rupert true roll(gr/silver)... could do some futher research/endorsement but that would involve some sort of payola/bribe;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back