Fishing near Lytton and/or Spences Bridge

tincan

Hey guys, fairly new to freshwater fishing but I'm heading up to Lytton soon with a group of buddies and we wanna do some fishing. We are interested in either river (Thompson/Fraser) or lake fishing. Most of us can flyfish but we've got spincasting setups as well and are fine with either. One of the guys on our trip was up there a couple days ago flossing sockeye at Spences bridge and said he got (and released) 8 sox in a couple hours.

If anyone has any suggestions of places to go up around Lytton for a group (10-12 people) that would be great. We don't want to cram a dozen guys around 1 pool so ideally looking for a place on the river or a lake where we won't be taking up all the space from others.

I'm assuming some big nooks should be rolling in now/soon as well which would be sweet to hook up. Most guys would be happy with a few trout however ;) Thanks for any advice/tips.

Goldpan Provincial Park is a great place to camp and there is fishing closeby for springs but check the regs as there are 6 special areas on the Thompson that have tricky boundaries. There are other great camping spots and I am sure the folks at Acacia Grove in Spences Bridge would be able to accomodate your group and would love your business! As with all places to camp and aty on the T, bring ear plugs - the trains run close and frequent all night long! Have fun, its a great time to be on that river.

My buddy just told me that he thinks the Thompson and Fraser are closed as of Sept. 19th for all fishing and that you're not allowed to fish even if it's catch/release. Can anyone please confirm/deny this. If this is the case I guess we'll have to lake fish.

Any suggestions for lakes in that area? I've heard Ruddock's Ranch (onion lake) has some huge rainbows.

Thanks Lipripper! I see that the Fraser is closed to salmon on Sept 19th onward: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x..._notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=127842&ID=recreational

For our trip on the weekend of Sept 24th we'd still prefer to fish in the river (Thompson) near Spences Bridge and/or Lytton and we're fine to target trout if all salmon fishing is closed. I have got conflicting reports from different guides/officers regarding this. One said that no fishing whatsoever is allowed while the other said we could fish for trout as long as we are targeting trout and that if salmon fishing is closed we just can't target salmon. Both of these guys seemed very confident in their answers and both are guys I thought would have the proper answer.

I will be calling DFO directly to sort things out but if anyone else wants to shed some light that would be appreciated.

I've heard that the steelhead and sturgeon fishing in the Thompson/Fraser Rivers is great in the Fall so if there is no fishing whatsoever in these waters after this Sept 19th closure then this doesn't check out with what I've heard about steelhead and sturgeon either.

10 years out of date, but when I lived up in the interior, most of us quit fishing the North Thompson for steelies as their populations were in such poor shape. Too much pressure before they got into the system and past Hope decimated the numbers. Siltation from various operations didn't help.

Too much water, too little time

Back