Fishing Gabriola Island

JAC

Looking for some info. I'm thinking of heading to Gabriola Island in the Spring May or June. Has anyone fished this area at this time of year are the prawn and crab around in may? Is running a 20 foot boat safe to run over there for a couple of nights? Where to stay and find moorage if anyone knows?

Merry Xmas
Thanks

Can fish along Thrasher reef or backside of Gabriola. I think it was very good this year at that time but never tried as I was working. Prawning is good right outside Silva Bay. Silva Bay you can anchor it's exellent all weather or tie up at the dock, there is a bar and restaurant also 20 ft. will be no problem but still watch the weather can pick your spot to fish depending on wind as there are 3 differnt entrances/exit's you could use depending on weather.

Prawn season usually starts the first week of May and after that the numbers drop precipitously as you can well imagine.

I know a guy who took a 15.5' RIF over there from Vancouver regularly to fish your boat should be fine.

billreidsalmon.jpg

you can fish outside porlier too, then run through the pass and anchor at tent island which is a great place to stay :)

Hey JAC,
Fishing can be good at that time of year...could be slow too. Last year was gang busters, the previous year was 'average'. It is worth the run across (in my opinion) with good moorage and lots of places to fish and prawn. Fire another post when you get closer and we can get you an update.
Cheers
RBF

Cheers All,

Last year the fishing took off in mid April (best in 25 years) and lasted until the middle of June at which time it was only average.

I guide out of Nanaimo in a 22' boat and most of the time the fishing is just fine in that sized boat. Call over to Silva Bay Marina and check for dock space or you can anchor in the bay. Thre are washrooms and showers up the walkway. There is also a restraunt there with great food.

Thrasher Rock is due East of Silva Bay...2 miles off. Easy to find on the charts or by simply heading out of the bay and looking east. It is very exposed to weather so...if it picks up you can fish right in close to The Waterfall and The Granby.

If you need more let me know as I will help as best as I can.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org

Hey Guys

Are the bottom fish open near Gabriola and if so that the fishing like in may or June? Are there Hali around?

Back