Fishing and Boating Business

Ha, 15 years ago or so? we were tasked with removing "metal shops"," power mechanic shops" from some Junior High Schools that were turned into Middle Schools and converted them into "Dance Studios and Computer Labs".........We all looked at each other who? will be doing the hands on work in the future. Now I see they are starting to bring tools back into the Middle Schools. 😕

A hardwood floor is a lot like a new husband… you lay it right once, and you can walk all over it for the rest of your life.
And even though you knew that was it's natural color, you thought to yourself, well maybe I can get it to change over time. And then 5 years later you resent it for being exactly what it was when you married it! Then you find yourself at your hairdressers house kinda liking the hot new floor they just installed. Your floor is warm and provides for the family, but man that other floor, it really got the juices flowing...

I'm fine.

I just took a deep dive into a fishing-related business, and almost bought it, but we were too far apart on the value of the business. I'm keeping my eye open for fishing, outdoor clothing and boating businesses for sale or potentially starting one. Is anyone looking at starting a business, selling one, or looking for partners in these spaces? Feels like the best way to have a 1 Million Dollar Fishing/Boat/Clothing Business is to start with 10 million, I don't know if this comes from the airline industry but seems like it rings true for many 'passion' businesses.

Would love to go fishing and chat business and am happy to chat with members anytime about even non-fishing related businesses.

Kind of veering off topic so I will give my 2 cents. First businesses that are not corporations can be scary at acquiring. A lot of self (not all) proprietor tend to have very sloppy accounting for most part. I would look at what the net profit is, and let that % dictate what you buy. It doesn't matter if the business revenue makes millions if it barely profits why even bother?

I would personally run away from any business that has low % net profit, and especially if it can't show you how much is profits on every dollar coming in.

As for fishing and boating. Tough business. Your going against very well established business, and you also will have to have considerable cash flow. This would take several million of your own money to do initially.

Last edited:
There is a government incentive program driving employers to hire trades apprentices at rhe moment. $5000 annual payment in any of the red seal trades, and double it if the apprentice is female or identifies as indigenous. No directive on how to spend the money, just a good old cash incentive.

Young guy I hired a year ago has been dragging his feet on registering with ITA for carpentry, which worked to my profit. I signed him up via Okanagan College and qualified for the program. That lovely 5 grand cheque arrived 2 weeks ago. If he'd got off his butt last year when I offered apprenticeship, I would have got nothing. Funny thing is he's a total keener on site, always asking questions and clearly wanting to learn. Maybe gun shy of formal schooling though, insecure about academic stuff. I've seen that before.

There is a government incentive program driving employers to hire trades apprentices at rhe moment. $5000 annual payment in any of the red seal trades, and double it if the apprentice is female or identifies as indigenous. No directive on how to spend the money, just a good old cash incentive.

Young guy I hired a year ago has been dragging his feet on registering with ITA for carpentry, which worked to my profit. I signed him up via Okanagan College and qualified for the program. That lovely 5 grand cheque arrived 2 weeks ago. If he'd got off his butt last year when I offered apprenticeship, I would have got nothing. Funny thing is he's a total keener on site, always asking questions and clearly wanting to learn. Maybe gun shy of formal schooling though, insecure about academic stuff. I've seen that before.
Gone are the days when kids that excelled in academics were ALSO encouraged to enter the trades. I was a bit of a math and physics wiz and that was part of the reason I was told I'd be great as a carpenter where math would be in my day to day. Now it's all the bad kids who clearly won't graduate are shuffled into this new trades program where they can get essentially a GED and start helping their single parents out with rent and stay out of jail. I realize that sounds harsh, but that's been my experience with the program so far. Trades are seen as an "alternative" or a second chance to not screw your life up. How cool would it be if they offered up more advanced training while the kids were still in a classroom setting? Business management, supervision, building science, builder training. Set them on the path to real success in the trade instead of getting them on a concrete deck crew on a tower.

Gone are the days when kids that excelled in academics were ALSO encouraged to enter the trades. I was a bit of a math and physics wiz and that was part of the reason I was told I'd be great as a carpenter where math would be in my day to day. Now it's all the bad kids who clearly won't graduate are shuffled into this new trades program where they can get essentially a GED and start helping their single parents out with rent and stay out of jail. I realize that sounds harsh, but that's been my experience with the program so far. Trades are seen as an "alternative" or a second chance to not screw your life up. How cool would it be if they offered up more advanced training while the kids were still in a classroom setting? Business management, supervision, building science, builder training. Set them on the path to real success in the trade instead of getting them on a concrete deck crew on a tower.
Worked with a European trained carpenter who said his grandfather was more respected than the local doctor because, "A well built house kept you from needing medical attention."

Worked with a European trained carpenter who said his grandfather was more respected than the local doctor because, "A well built house kept you from needing medical attention."
I worked with a Glazing Meister from Germany years ago. In Europe, a master tradesperson is the highest quality and skill level that can be achieved and is greatly respected. I heard that anyone that wants to be an architect or an engineer over there is required to spend a couple of years in a trade.

I worked with a Glazing Meister from Germany years ago. In Europe, a master tradesperson is the highest quality and skill level that can be achieved and is greatly respected. I heard that anyone that wants to be an architect or an engineer over there is required to spend a couple of years in a trade.
and it shows in their craftsmanship and architecture. Same as the Japanese. heck they take pride in how they sharpen their hand tools. we just chuck our tools in the trash and drive down to buy new stuff from a bargain bin

Back