fish storage

C

catcher

when fishing all day do you leave your catch in a fish tub or on ice in a cooler?
thanks

Just keep em in a fishbox in the boat...it goes about 2ft down into the deck of the boat. I'd imagine even on hot days it is nice and chilly in there. No problems anyway.

Hey catcher: The best suggestion I could make to you is have a cooler full of shaved or cubed ice. Also bleed and gut ASAP and ice the fish down, inside and out. I would not trust the fish locker, unless there is a good supply of ice there too. I've left a few springs in a fish locker before and they where done before I got them home.;) eman

Everything Eaglemaniac said plus I like to put some sea water in with the shaved ice and make a salt ice slush..... works very well and really cools down the fish fast. :D SS

As with the other suggestions with the shaved ice(and I assume you have a lid on the cooler) if not and its just an open container , carry a towel with you and keep soaking it in the chuck and drape it over the fish , the chinese first made air conditioners out of material soaked with water and allowed a breeze to blow through it as a coolant , works quite well and can be set up anywhere.

Cheers

AL

A burlap sack works great when you dont have ice.Dunk it and put on top of yer little beauties!

Considering all the effort and resources that goes into catching these fish, and the additional qualty you get from keeping them cool, I transport my cleaned catch in a cooler with lots of ice in the belly and around the gills.

I used to work on a commercial troller in the Queen Charlottes and our fish were consistently graded 1st class for sale to the international market so I'll describe our method and maybe a few people will be interested. Our 2 priorities were temp control and removal of blood (and guts of course). Salmon were bled immediately upon catch and were subsequently gutted within 1 or 2 hours. After that, we stored the salmon in cold salt water for 2 or 3 hours and then removed all the blood from the cavity walls by pushing the arteries from the top down. They were then flash frozen on -40C plates and double glazed with salt water for storage at -25C. (IMO commercial trolling produced a fine product and used selective fishing methods, much better than commercial dragging or seining.)

A livewell boys,, keeps em as fresh as when they came out of the water.. I have put up to 30# + fish in mine with a very slight bend to it... This past summer the Coho and pinks would stay alive for hrs in there.. The large springs would die in about a 1/2 hr but stay as solid and cold as in their natural environment.. Now a days they come with automatic pumps that kick in and flush new water through every 2 - 3 min... My boat comes with 2 one in back I use for the fish up to the 15# range and one up font that is longer and can accommodate most any Salmon caught...

Hey Yammy,

Can you tell me more about the "removing the blood from the cavity walls" step? Have not heard of that one before.....

Anytime you have gutted and cleaned you will notice from the backbone area down the same lines as the bones arteries full of blood. Starting at the spine with your thumbnail apply a bit of pressure and move down the vein and force it out. Yammy is correct when he says gutting and cleaning within the first few hours then removing the blood makes for a higher quality fish.

Bleed em right after</u> you bonk em, while the hearts still beating.

Assuming that you bonk them, bleed them and remove the guts shortly after catching them, is it also necessary to remove the kidneys as well or can they be removed later? (I believe the kidneys are the dark bloody matter that travels along the length of the spinal columb, inside the cavity) SS

quote:personally I prefer to treat the fish I catch and keep with the courtesy of a quick humane death. Bonk them and bleed them.Letting them suffer for hours in a tiny live well until they die is the stuff that PETA thrives on.....

:D :D :D :D now thats funny... I thought I heard everything but this takes the cake.. sorry but :D :D :D :D :D wait wait I'm trying to get my composer here,,,, ha hah aha aha a ha ohh dear.... O.k I'm good I'll carry on thx I needed that today...

last I checked fish weren't conscious therefore cannot feel pain - but bonking quick and taking care of them does make for better eating.

Back