Fish ID NOT ALL SMALL FISH ARE PINKS

Help me out here because you all have me thinking again. On our recent trip to Ucluelet I boated a pink that had taken the hook through the eye. As a quick check, I felt the tongue and it had two small teeth. Okay, a small (but legal) spring? At the dock three others, including two charter guys said, "pink". Small scales, oval spots, mouth not completely black. I'm new to this but I thought, "no teeth on the tongue". ???????

quote:Originally posted by gpspowell

Help me out here because you all have me thinking again. On our recent trip to Ucluelet I boated a pink that had taken the hook through the eye. As a quick check, I felt the tongue and it had two small teeth. Okay, a small (but legal) spring? At the dock three others, including two charter guys said, "pink". Small scales, oval spots, mouth not completely black. I'm new to this but I thought, "no teeth on the tongue". ???????

Small scales, and oval spots should have made it a pink. Did it have very large prounounced teeth on the lower jaw?

Thanks, Tsquared.

I realized after I made the post that I had it a** backwards. I was wondering how long it would take someone to post a correction.

JuandeOne, you are also correct the DFO screwed up on their species guide in the regs. It is the picture of a Pink, not a Steelhead.
I caught that one too.

quote:Originally posted by Tsquared

I agree with you that they smoke up very nicely Big guy but it's not because they have a high oil content--in fact it's just the opposite.

I have always heard both things about chum, but i think you are right TS.

Can you or anyone tell me the ranking of oil/fat content of the 5 salmon species? From low to high or whathave you?

I am guessing chum, pink, coho, spring, sockeye?

quote:chum, pink, coho, spring, sockeye?
You've got it Likwit, although I'm not sure who would be the winner between spring and sockeye. I know that it broke my heart to shake off the handful of socks I caught this summer--I could hear my bbq calling!
T2

Thanks for the information about chum. Very interesting.

So I'm hoping to come accross a bright chum to try in my smoker. [^]

Thanks for the information about chum. Very interesting.

So I'm hoping to come accross a bright chum to try in my smoker. [^]

Watched a older fella past Sunday, drag a beauty of about a 19# wild coho up the dock at Cheanuh. Asked him if wild cohoe were open his reply its a spring ya right!. Would have been nice if DFO was on the beach that day! Thats my rant for the day. Cheers Fah Cups

Watched a older fella past Sunday, drag a beauty of about a 19# wild coho up the dock at Cheanuh. Asked him if wild cohoe were open his reply its a spring ya right!. Would have been nice if DFO was on the beach that day! Thats my rant for the day. Cheers Fah Cups

Back