Fish ID NOT ALL SMALL FISH ARE PINKS

M

Monaro

Coming in to Pedder Bay late Sunday evening there is a guy cleaning a bunch of small fish at the cleaning station. "How's fishing?" I ask from a distance. "The pinks are in" he replies. As my Dad and I get closer to the table we can see he has about 7 fish all in the pound, pound and a half range and not one PINK. This guy has been out killing shaker springs all day. Every single fish on the table was too small even to be considered a decent PINK. How is it that you can’t tell the difference? Fish ID isn’t always easy but make an effort.

OK. Now here is the question. I left in disgust but did nothing. What are your feelings on this? Do you report it? Do you just tell him?

tell him and make sure he knows the regs on sizing and how to tell the difference.... if he already knew, id report him... license plate?

Thanks so much for posting this. I saw the exact same thing at Cheanuh on Sunday. A guy was weighing a Pink that came in at under 4 pounds. Of course it was a shaker spring. Could not believe it. Fish was maybe 12 inches long.

ID'ing a fish may be easy for some of us, but for newbies its not. people get excited and wanna keep something. it is irresponsible - if you are fishing you should know the regs - but i think most of the time it is ignorance, not intentiaonal.

personally, i would try to approach the offender with tact and explain your observation and what to look for. i believe that 90% of people don't want to actually be poachers. be a teacher, not an accuser. this i think will have the best results. if buddy tells you to f off, which i hope most wouldn't, make the call...

I didn't think my dad was fishing on the weekend,just kidding,he's well on his way to 80 and has fished 60 plus years.He still can't tell the difference.We were fishing up at renfrew a couple of years ago caught a nice coho well over 20 lbs ,we'll have to let it go I said next thing you know he's back there ready to bonk it.Coho don't get that big he says. I always ask the guys if they can tell the difference,most of them have no idea,then I'll politely tell them how to tell the difference,most fellows are pretty embarrased I just leave it at that.Only had a few tell me to mind my f----- buisness,theres no hope for them.DAN

I am new to salmon fishing. I was out on the weekend for pinks. Caught lots of fish but I think many of them were immature springs which I released. I was going by scale size and also teeth on the tongue. Anything that had teeth on its tongue were released before being brought into the boat as I had been led to believe that pinks even though they have black mouths, don't have teeth on their tongues.

Its not that difficult, Salmon IDs are quite descriptive in the Regs which one should receive when you get your license. The Internet has them so to me theres really no excuse.If these people are locals they know whats going on,or they should. Charge them for the offence, however difficult when DFO, if around,at sea checking for barbed hooks? Ironical I say.

pinks have large oval spots on their tails - its very easy to tell, just figure it out before you net the fish. If you net and release a fish you've already killed it.

It really isn't rocket science. Not knowing how to distinguish between species is like driving a car and claiming you don't know the difference between red, yellow and green lights. It's simply neglect and ignorance not putting the effort into noticing the key differences.

As for the Larry at Pedder, politely point it out to him and see what his response is. Depending on the tone and content of his response, decide what to do from there.

Right on jd1 (if I can call you that)although I would do it discreetly as this guy obviously did not know the difference and there may be others that may not be as tolerant to the mistake.
If nothing is said then there is nothing to prevent the infraction from repeating itself.

Bobs two cents

Thanks Guys.

If I see it again i will take the majority advise and quietly explain it to him, then make a call if he is an A$$.

I suspect we'll see a lot of this being a pink year, it should draw out a lot of rusty fishermen that maybe haven't seen a salmon close up in a while and get a little trigger happy with the net.

I can say first hand that it salmon identification is harder than it looks, especially when you're rusty or new to it. If you have four salmon species sitting beside each other and can compare it would be easy. But that's not the way it works out.

Let's say in the heat of battle, you get a keeper size fish, maybe 6 or 7 pounds. Has been a slow day -- sure would be nice to have something for the BBQ, you want to keep this fish if it is legal.

You get out the DFO book:

Spots on tail: spring, pink, or coho. Big spots pink, small spots spring, some spots coho. But what is a "big" spot when you haven't caught a fish this year? And what about that spring that only has some spots? Spring and pink ok, coho closed if not hatchery.

No spots on tail: sockeye or chum. Neither have big teeth, neither teeth in tongue. Chum has white anal fin, but so does sockeye in the picture. Chum always open, sockeye rarely.

Black mouth: spring. But picture of pink has a lot of black in mouth too (teeth on tongue being the key, but better read close).

Big scales: again, first fish in a while, how big is a big scale?

Slimy: yup, pinks are slimier, but again, all fish are slimy when it's been a while.

Meanwhile the fish is flopping, other guys on board are still trolling with the other rod, the boat is bouncing...got to decide quick. Benefit of the doubt on your side or the law's? By now, the fish is effectively dead anyway -- been netted, flopping, bleeding, etc.

Not saying it's right, just saying that's what happens.

For this guy (next time it happens), I'd suggest a friendly explanation of the difference so that he'll know for next time. Learning from the DFO book is hard -- having someone point it to you firsthand would be very helpful for most novices. As you say, if got snippy about it at that point, then you could go to the next level if you wanted.

That's my 2 cents.

Do they not have the creel survey people at Cheenah, Pedder or Sooke?
Be good of them to advise people - in a non-adversarial way, of course.

I will be contacting DFO on this matter tomorrow and will be advising them of the need for more comprehensive and widely circulated ID pictures/literature.I would suggest that others follow suit.
It's all about making it better for everyone,isnt it?
Hooch

I find the pictures in the book don't represent the fish properly at the various stages - it would be good for them to have the book set up so one whole page is on each fish and it shows them at the various stages.
Good description Juandesooka - that's exactly how it happens.
I bagged a coho by mistake that way and it wasn't until I caught a pink later and had them side by side that I could tell.

Back