Fish Holding Areas

BigBen

What's the science behind fish holding in certain places and not others?

As a child I fished Oak Bay flats often. Hardly ever came home with much. Now, I fish mostly Constance bank and the waterfront. Seems better in August, September, October. But this year it's been dry for several months.

Is it bait that holds salmon? Seems plausible but then there's reports of tons of bait in Oak Bay yet no salmon.

One example of tons of fish holding in Sooke in the past month. Another (not confirmed) would be Pender bluffs. Why no fish in Victoria waterfront yet tons in Sooke? Why no fish in other Gulf Islands yet Pender bluffs? Do fish head far out into the strait from Sooke and bypass Oak Bay? What do fish do after leaving Pender Bluffs?

And more importantly, why do they hold in certain places yet not others??

I would have to assume the farther east you go the less Columbia chinook you will encounter.

Remember the bait can be there without the springs. But the springs are most always on the bait!

But thats just my theorys no science here.

-KK

The migratory path of the particular chinooks you are targeting may vary; not all the mature chinooks that go through Sooke will necessarily take a route that passes by the Victoria waterfront...some may travel further offshore i.e. constance bank, they could also turn & miss the flats all together. Currents can come into play, study them they can be the key to catching more fish; as mentioned a large quantity of bait can hold feeding fish for a longer period of time, matching the particular bait in that area may also benefit your catch rate.

Feeder Chinook are feed oriented;find the bait and usually they'll be close by.

If Sooke saw Columbia river fish it wouldn't be so slow out there.. More like Fraser !! Lots of bait from Whirl bay to Sherringham and not a lot of fish.. Not to hijack but what Sammy said..

I think that there are very few big springs around this year, but there are plenty of smaller springs around. yes, tons of bait out there.

If Sooke saw Columbia river fish it wouldn't be so slow out there.. More like Fraser !! Lots of bait from Whirl bay to Sherringham and not a lot of fish.. Not to hijack but what Sammy said..

There are no columbians in JDF, it's a total myth.

But as for migratory paths, I think most springs hit race rocks and ride the current out into the middle of the straight and/or over to the Washington side. When Oak Bay is hot, usually Sidney will heat up shortly after, which would further suggest they are Fraser river fish.

Back