Fish Farms

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Eating farmed salmon saves wild fish." Ever hear that one before? Here are the reported numbers of wild fish caught every year by BC salmon farms.

Watershed Watch Salmon Society
[URL='https://www.facebook.com/watershedwatchsalmonsociety/photos/a.551936001503480/2142345222462542/?type=3&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARCGPB5jE8QyZKWTCnZI6O46dHIg2-AmzRJrLObfhnvAmHhSWivlwx-qJKBqxcDDBj1Nf-SyfmKYx6XmK3UnuD3VRlIq4HR2nI41LOcx_L3I5rPgoUuAoxm4HO6jGuTrzNVO85QuuP2hd6rewxbtB-dScNjAq6r2XRtlCF1HNCz37WDYZ-hK9A&__tn__=H-R']September 20 at 8:08 AM
·
B.C. salmon farms catch tens of thousands of wild fish every year and the numbers are going up! Rockfish, herring, wild salmon, cod and other species become incidental catch and are presumably killed by the industry. Yet industry PR promotes eating farmed salmon as a way to save wild fish. [/URL]

Wild fish predation project

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/aquaculture/wfpp-ppps/index-eng.html

Since spring of 2017, DFO has been sampling the stomach contents of farmed Chinook and Atlantic Salmon to see if they contain any wild fish.

Results
  • 7,200 farmed salmon were sampled in 2017.
  • Results show very low levels of predation, consistent with the results of previous studies.
  • 9 wild fish were found in farmed salmon in 2017, making the prevalence 0.125%.
  • 6 of these fish were herring, while 3 could not be fully identified, but were most likely herring.
As usual I expext the usual responses such as deflection, calling poster shills, or the topic changer that switches the topic to an already extensively discussed portion of the debat “ya but what about the ...” or some kind of slight of hand comment about another forum members intelegence and of course the consperiacy perspective. It’s all pretty predictable here on this forum and it beyond getting old.

Attack the contents of the study if you disagree.

attack? no, how about question how, where and when these "samples" were done. Migration routes, timing etc...

IMHO, should be done by third party as dfo is rep for fish farming. once again the wolf is looking after the henhouse.

"Eating farmed salmon saves wild fish." Ever hear that one before? Here are the reported numbers of wild fish caught every year by BC salmon farms.

Watershed Watch Salmon Society
[URL='https://www.facebook.com/watershedwatchsalmonsociety/photos/a.551936001503480/2142345222462542/?type=3&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARCGPB5jE8QyZKWTCnZI6O46dHIg2-AmzRJrLObfhnvAmHhSWivlwx-qJKBqxcDDBj1Nf-SyfmKYx6XmK3UnuD3VRlIq4HR2nI41LOcx_L3I5rPgoUuAoxm4HO6jGuTrzNVO85QuuP2hd6rewxbtB-dScNjAq6r2XRtlCF1HNCz37WDYZ-hK9A&__tn__=H-R']September 20 at 8:08 AM
·
B.C. salmon farms catch tens of thousands of wild fish every year and the numbers are going up! Rockfish, herring, wild salmon, cod and other species become incidental catch and are presumably killed by the industry. Yet industry PR promotes eating farmed salmon as a way to save wild fish. [/URL]
In your last post you stated that you do not read fake news, etc and only follow the science. I'm just wondering were the science is? You link goes to a facebook page??? I would love to read some science on how the fish were caught and harvested by the farms. I've seen afew bumper stick that say " wild salon dont eat pellets".

IMHO, should be done by third party as dfo is rep for fish farming. once again the wolf is looking after the henhouse.

Third party testing can have the same bias, 1. If you give bad test results you loose clients or 2. You give bad test results and your clients go out of business.

There is always a bias towards giving your clients what they want.

Heres the data for anyone that wants to go through it

https://open.canada.ca/data/en/dataset/0bf04c4e-d2b0-4188-9053-08dc4a7a2b03

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/od-ds/...1-ongoing-rpt-pac-dfo-mpo-aquaculture-eng.csv

I put it into a pivot table for you guys to discuss, 2011 to Feb 2018

upload_2018-9-27_15-4-40.png
upload_2018-9-27_15-5-43.png

Thanks for the help on the link WMY. Pretty clear its a lot more than a couple as the bird posted.

This industry damages wild fish and the environment in many different ways. And no Fabian, I am not interested in going around and around. I'm not paid for this..

thank you,, over the years of checking gut for what fish are feeding on what, i can clearly see a large amount of forage foods types(28) being removed not only from chinooks, but all species.

Last edited:
Well at least your posting info this time from BC, it was getting pretty Norway in here for awhile. Nice to see there proving that PRV is found in fish other than Atlantic salmon...........see if you go looking for something you will find it. Naturally occurring PRV in BC

I think the words you were actually looking for bones were:

"...firmly entrenched alien disease-causing virus closely related to the Norwegian strain of PRv that can only plausibly be a consequence of the Norwegian fish-farm industry operations and egg imports - but has been subsequently released upon naive wild salmonid populations".

You're welcome! :)

PS - you may also wish to read the thesis, as well...

Last edited:
No need to speak for me ma'am. I can do it myself.
Could you explain how "along with the first evidence of PRV in Dolly Varden (Salvelinus malma) and eulachon"

I guess dolly varden hang out near fish farms?

That thing on the back of fish is called a tail, bones. Fish swim. Fish swim and intermingle with other fish that swim. Would've thought you would have had the background and experience with fish to easily recognize those realities. I am confident most other posters on this forum would not have need of being reminded of these realities.

From page 78 of the thesis: "An adult Rivers Inlet sockeye salmon testing positive for PRV in 2014 yielded a sequence for genome segment S1 which was a 99% sequence match to GenBank sequence KC473452 (E = 0) isolated from an Atlantic salmon from BC’s Discovery Islands, indicating an epidemiological link to PRV outside this system."

is the strain from farms different than the strain found here? I am thinking nature developed defences for the native strain...
our fish are getting smallpox equivalent.

They also found ISAv (AGAIN!) - Appendix B, page 106. The very same virus that the industry & it's supporters like to try to say doesn't exist in BC - in order to preserve their export markets rather than protect the wild stocks...

Last edited:
Letter
Open Access
Migration links ocean‐scale competition and local ocean conditions with exposure to farmed salmon to shape wild salmon dynamics
B. M. Connors
D. C. Braun
R.M. Peterman
A. B. Cooper
J. D. Reynolds
L. M. Dill
G. T. Ruggerone
M. Krkošek
First published: 17 May 2012
https://sci-hub.tw/10.1111/j.1755-263X.2012.00244.x
Cited by: 9
B. M. Connors, School of Resource and Environmental Management, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC, Canada. Tel: 01–604‐202–6051; Fax: 01–778‐782–4968. E‐mail: bconnors@sfu.ca
Editor
Richard Zabel

Read the full text
PDF
Tools

Abstract
Climate, competition, and disease are well‐recognized drivers of population dynamics. These stressors can be intertwined by animal migrations, leading to uncertainty about the roles of natural and anthropogenic factors in conservation and resource management. We quantitatively assessed the four leading hypotheses for an enigmatic long‐term decline in productivity of Canada's iconic Fraser River sockeye salmon: (1) delayed density‐dependence, (2) local oceanographic conditions, (3) pathogen transmission from farmed salmon, and (4) ocean‐basin scale competition with pink salmon. Our findings suggest that the long‐term decline is primarily explained by competition with pink salmon, which can be amplified by exposure to farmed salmon early in sockeye marine life, and by a compensatory interaction between coastal ocean temperature and farmed‐salmon exposure. These correlative relationships suggest oceanic‐scale processes, which are beyond the reach of current regulatory agencies, may exacerbate local ecological processes that challenge the coexistence of fisheries and aquaculture‐based economies in coastal seas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back