Fish Farms

Status
Not open for further replies.

There is a LOT OF GOOD INFORMATION in this INDEPENDENT study!
As an example and I quote...
“Fisheries and Oceans Canada did not adequately enforce compliance with regulations to minimize harm to wild fish”
“Over all we found that the Department did not sufficiently enforce its Aquaculture Activities Regulation to minimize harm to wild fish.
It also did not always publish detailed or up-to-date information about such matters as disease outbreaks”

I don’t have Adobe Pro, which would allow me to convert the report which was released as a PDF to a word document. I had to retype the above in order to share it with a few people.
My fear is most members of this forum will not take the time or make the effort to even read the report!

New Genetic Research Shows the Legacy of Fish Farm Escapees
A study suggests that escaped farmed salmon are breeding in Newfoundland’s rivers—with dire consequences for wild fish.
by Ben Goldfarb
September 17, 2018
https://www.hakaimagazine.com/news/new-genetic-research-shows-the-legacy-of-fish-farm-escapees/

New proof that fish farm escapees interbreed with wild salmon: DFO
Researchers worry interbreeding diminishing Newfoundland's wild salmon stocks
Leigh Anne Power · CBC News · Posted: Sep 23, 2018
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newf...-farms-escapes-wild-salmon-breeding-1.4831259

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hmmmm, I think its pretty clear by even just reading the headline what the article refers to. I think that's what you are suggesting because I don't see anywhere where that link is even remotely suggested.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada launches assessment to examine the risk of Piscine Reovirus transfer from farmed Atlantic salmon aquaculture

News release
Ottawa, Ontario — The Government of Canada is committed to using sound, scientific advice to protect our aquatic ecosystems and to support sustainable fisheries and aquaculture.

The Honourable Jonathan Wilkinson, Minister for Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, announced today that Fisheries and Oceans Canada has launched a science review to assess risks associated with Piscine Reovirus (PRV) transfer from Atlantic salmon farms.

The results of the assessment will support decision making on sustainable aquaculture and aquatic animal health in Canada, including in the Discovery Islands and Broughton Archipelago.

The Minister announced that the review will include domestic and international scientific experts including those from government, academia, Indigenous communities, ENGOs, and industry. The review will be generated through DFO's Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat and a final report will be publically available in early 2019.

This is one of ten risk assessments that the Department is undertaking to understand the risk of pathogen transfer associated with aquaculture activities, including in the Discovery Islands area to pacific sockeye. DFO remains on track to complete all ten risk assessments by 2020 as recommended in the Cohen report.

https://www.canada.ca/en/fisheries-...d-atlantic-salmon-aquaculture-to-wild-fr.html

Sorry Fabe's, but anything put out by Seawest is not news. It's fictional opinion based on the premise to mislead the public and try to mitigate the damage real science is doing. It's a media site hired by the Farms to spin propaganda in their favour. On Fabians website, it clearly lists the Salmon Farmers Association as clients. He has since hidden all this info.

Attachments

• IMG_5487.PNG
    IMG_5487.PNG
    160.5 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back