Fish Farms

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me this seems to be a version of the classic political tactic of 'kick the can down the road until after the next election'. At which point it will either be someone else's problem or they can decide if the want to deal with the actual pain of implementation and actually cancel licenses or come up with a rational to kick the can farther down the road, preferably until after the following election.

To me this seems to be a version of the classic political tactic of 'kick the can down the road until after the next election'. At which point it will either be someone else's problem or they can decide if the want to deal with the actual pain of implementation and actually cancel licenses or come up with a rational to kick the can farther down the road, preferably until after the following election.
EXACTLY, rockfish.

That is why the First Nations won't wait. It has been acknowledged that their consent is needed so why should they have to wait?

That is why the First Nations won't wait. It has been acknowledged that their consent is needed so why should they have to wait?

Then why should first nations wait on making decisions on sport fishing or whale watching and whatever else they can make decisions on. Carful what you wish for. If you ask me this is a very slippery slope.
Some how the anti salmon farming movement has convince the sport fishing community that this is good thing but ultimately I see it as pissing upwards in very strong headwind.

Whether or not FNs get a veto into FF renewals or not - the changes in governance, administration and ultimately enforcement of approved resource extraction and impacts within asserted FN territories is coming anyways - with or without FFs.

75% of fish farms already have agreements in place with first nations.

Whether or not FNs get a veto into FF renewals or not - the changes in governance, administration and ultimately enforcement of approved resource extraction and impacts within asserted FN territories is coming anyways - with or without FFs.

I dont disagree with the above.

The industry should just go to land based fish farms, Land based fish farms like the one being built Florida using pristine aquifer water and filtration will soon provide the healthiest salmon available.

Rant over
Ya just like in Florida. As far away from BC as posable. Only makes economic sense but the industry, bc largest agricultural export, will almost entirely be handed over to the USA. How ironic. Maybe this is another good reason for American foundations to be demarketing bc farmed salmon just like they do with pipelines. Free range chicken absolutely, but fish grown in the ocean were they are from not so much (sarcasm).

75% of fish farms already have agreements in place with first nations.
Shouldn't be a big deal then just remove from the Ocean the ones that don't have agreements. If the Broughton were to wait four more years there may not be any Wild Salmon for the First Nations anyways never mind the Sporties or anyone else.

Probably going to look like this in the future like Norway seeing their leading the way with closed containment. LOL (sarcasm)

https://www.fishupdate.com/norway-fish-farmers-bid-millions-licences/

NORWAY’S fish farmers have spent tens of billions of kroners at auction buying new salmon production licences as a prelude to a major expansion of the industry.
The result is that 160 coastal communities will received at least NOK 2 billion (almost £200 million) in development funding.

I don't think BC will ever look like that.
I think BC will eventually rid themselves of this industry, in open net pens anyways.

Before you tell me how great it is, explain what's happening right now in Clayoquot. If you think that there isn't serious harm being done to the wild salmon, herring and whatever else is there, then there is something wrong with you.

4 years is 1 cycle, There is still commercial harvest on some runs. not sure what you mean their many not be any salmon left???

Their will be commercial harvests on fraser sockeye this year
There is a critical mass from which there is no return. Remember the Carrier Pigeon used to be Billions in North America went extinct in 50 short years.

Shouldn't be a big deal then just remove from the Ocean the ones that don't have agreements. If the Broughton were to wait four more years there may not be any Wild Salmon for the First Nations anyways never mind the Sporties or anyone else.
Nope no problem, no big deal. Just buy out the inventory (5 years worth) at market value. I sure they will just move up the Coast and expand one of there other "backed" operations.

Nope no problem, no big deal. Just buy out the inventory (5 years worth) at market value. I sure they will just move up the Coast and expand one of there other "backed" operations.

Before you make the move, you must prove that Farms do NOT harm wild salmon. That will be next to impossible considering how much independant science there is that says the opposite.

The Fish Farmers don't seem to want to talk about the environmental cost on our ecosystem see here.https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/2...ofino-fish-farms-after-sea-lice-outbreak.html And just because a very few First Nation Politicians allow these Open caged Fish Farms doesn't mean they actually have any support from the people as outlined at the end of this piece. http://aptnnews.ca/2018/05/26/b-c-fish-farms-treating-sea-lice-outbreak-with-hydrogen-peroxide/

The Fish Farmers don't seem to want to talk about the environmental cost on our ecosystem see here.https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/2...ofino-fish-farms-after-sea-lice-outbreak.html
You must be mistaken. You mention the cost of environmental impacts then include a copy paste on seal lice, there was no mention of the environmental costs. What environmental impact or cost is there.... To reduce the confusion maybe just say what you think it is rather than copy paste. You after all have read so much on the topic, just summarize for us. Remember when making a point numbers do not lie like words.
So what are as you said the environmental costs to our ecosystem?

You must be mistaken. You mention the cost of environmental impacts then include a copy paste on seal lice, there was no mention of the environmental costs. What environmental impact or cost is there.... To reduce the confusion maybe just say what you think it is rather than copy paste. You after all have read so much on the topic, just summarize for us. Remember when making a point numbers do not lie like words.
So what are as you said the environmental costs to our ecosystem?
Environmental impact is obviously about to be dead Wild Salmon. fish at its facilities were infected by up to 30 motile sea lice. Apparently they are bringing in a big barge in an attempt to deal with the Sea Lice so I guess they do see it as a problem even for their own fish. Do you not think all the chemicals they throw in the water has an environmental impact?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back