Fish Farms out?

A few years back when i was just north of victoria at a sushi restaurant it had atlantic as an option from this place. it was marketed as sustainable land based atlantic salmon on the menu.

there is also a coho based one in abbotsford thats scraping by but no one in bc really wants to touch farmed fish. the coho has the advantage of being the dark red thats is more sought after.

my point being is BC is not a market for land based fish farms and when you get into land based fish farms closer to the consumer base the better. so banning fish farms would likely be a huge economic killer in north island people where i live tho on the mainland could care less and if fish farms survive

so yeah say move them to land! but do so with the caveat that they likely won't be sticking around in bc!

Interesting opinion, however basing the future of the industry in BC on limited personal experiences is just that - limited. Let's see what plays out for real. If more people demand land based farmed salmon then that is where the market will go - simple business economics.

West Creek products can be found here;​

Organic Ocean Seafood

Federated Co-op - Calgary Co-op - Choices Markets - The Grocery People - Mariner Neptune - Pacific Fresh Fish - Albion Fisheries - Seven Seas - 1Fish 2Fish

Thanks for this I will check it out.

not sure if this one is still around but i did have some from it when i was on the island back in 2016.

not sure if this one is still around but i did have some from it when i was on the island back in 2016.

I have also tried the Kuterra product... it was good but very pricey.

on a side note two summers ago i was in telegraph cove, they were having there fresh salmon bbq. I was thinking this is odd i don't no of any commercial openings. I look behind the smokers/BBQ and there is white foam boxes with the lable Mowi on them.

I chuckled and wondered how many of the people eating though it was wild caught salmon.

I have also tried the Kuterra product... it was good but very pricey.

1 fish 2 fish in langley gets in coho from that land based in, It's out of my price range. there "fresh" alaska salmon sockeye is cheaper

On the West Creek website check out the sockeye tab. isn't it weird that the sockeye he's holding up has a spotted tail? wonder what kind of franken-fish this is.

I only eat fish I catch or given to me caught by friends. Just like the vast majority of other folks on this site.
No farmed fish, ever, regardless of where it is fed pellets and antibiotics and whatever else.

I only eat fish I catch or given to me caught by friends. Just like the vast majority of other folks on this site.
No farmed fish, ever, regardless of where it is fed pellets and antibiotics and whatever else.
some might say,
Are we not a very fortunate and privileged group to be able to do this now aren't we?

Back