Fish Farm trouble in BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have some evidence to backup this claim? The fish farms are on lease property from the province and if the province say's you're done then your done.
It the evidence that is not being supplied by the anti farm peeps. If you tell an industry to pack up and move to land....your fronting the bill. The question: Why? Will be asked. The reasoning is because your practice kills wild salmon. There question will be: Which ones and how much? You cannot provide this solid information so..... The move to land sound more of an option to please afew activists. This shouldn't be a expense to them, they will argue this. No?

It the evidence that is not being supplied by the anti farm peeps. If you tell an industry to pack up and move to land....your fronting the bill. The question: Why? Will be asked. The reasoning is because your practice kills wild salmon. There question will be: Which ones and how much? You cannot provide this solid information so..... The move to land sound more of an option to please afew activists. This shouldn't be a expense to them, they will argue this. No?

Put it this way.... If you leased a property from me to run a business and I said at the end of the lease you're gone then you're gone and I do not have to justify it. Find a example, in real life, that counters that then you may have an argument. Till then what you're saying is irrelevant.

Who said anything about a lease running out? Not me...... All I said was :

moneys to build should be from the industry that makes the profits? just like any other company. GET OUT OF THE WATER.

Bones:
Taxpayers will be on the hook for moving an industry to land. The industry will argue they have been following the current law and lease.

I said current NOT expired.

moneys to build should be from the industry that makes the profits? just like any other company. GET OUT OF THE WATER.
Bones:
Taxpayers will be on the hook for moving an industry to land. The industry will argue they have been following the current law and lease.

NO ONE can tell the Fish Farm owners they must move their Farms out of the ocean and onto dry land.
Tax payer's paying to force the Fish Farm industry to Dry Land is not being discussed.
Among the many issues right now that are being discussed is the fact and I quote from a front page story in Dec. 2nd's Times Colonist.
"A coalition of First Nations want Fish Farms removed from their traditional territories.....the impending expiry of more than a dozens Fish Farm tenures in the Broughton Archipelago in June" "the coalition wants the Province to decline their renewal"
If the Province decides not to renew there tenures (leases) the Fish Farms will be required to move out.
Fish Farms do not own their locations and need to request renewal of all their tenures (leases) at one time or another.

Thanks for cleaning that up Bones ... we would not want the average reader thinking that "Taxpayers will be on the hook for moving an industry to land" now would we, given that some of the of leases are coming due this year. So in fact the ones that are coming up could be gone without any cost to the taxpayer. Imagine that.

NO ONE can tell the Fish Farm owners they must move their Farms out of the ocean and onto dry land.
Tax payer's paying to force the Fish Farm industry to Dry Land is not being discussed.
Among the many issues right now that are being discussed is the fact and I quote from a front page story in Dec. 2nd's Times Colonist.
"A coalition of First Nations want Fish Farms removed from their traditional territories.....the impending expiry of more than a dozens Fish Farm tenures in the Broughton Archipelago in June" "the coalition wants the Province to decline their renewal"
If the Province decides not to renew there tenures (leases) the Fish Farms will be required to move out.
Fish Farms do not own their locations and need to request renewal of all their tenures (leases) at one time or another.
Interesting thing I have noticed is that while some FN want the farms gone there are also many who are making money off them and want them to stay. Where it could get interesting is if the Government tells them to move and the Local FN say not so fast, this is our territory and we'll decide. Listening to the arguments taking place in the Legislature it's not that cut and dried.Ellis Ross spoke in favour of fish farming as a benefit to his people, so there more things at play than appear at first glance.

Si
Thanks for cleaning that up Bones ... we would not want the average reader thinking that "Taxpayers will be on the hook for moving an industry to land" now would we, given that some of the of leases are coming due this year. So in fact the ones that are coming up could be gone without any cost to the taxpayer. Imagine that.
So.... your saying that one minority, is going have enough power to have fish farms removed from the water all within a year? Wow, is there a court date or date with the aquaculture industry yet? And on what grounds are they using to shift the industry with?

Interesting thing I have noticed is that while some FN want the farms gone there are also many who are making money off them and want them to stay. Where it could get interesting is if the Government tells them to move and the Local FN say not so fast, this is our territory and we'll decide. Listening to the arguments taking place in the Legislature it's not that cut and dried.Ellis Ross spoke in favour of fish farming as a benefit to his people, so there more things at play than appear at first glance.

I was just gonna say something similar, also I bet if any FN are successful in removing a current farm they'll have their own going in short order. Ellis Ross is also pro LNG.

1/5 employees at Marine harvest are of FN.
Several joint owe farms with marine harvest. Should get exciting when some say one thing while the others disagree.

1/5 employees at Marine harvest are of FN.
Several joint owe farms with marine harvest. Should get exciting when some say one thing while the others disagree.
Shut them all down. It is just what our First Nations need - more unemployment. With the closing of all the lumber mills we are really fixing things up nicely for them (You should chat with the NitNat's). Honestly, they should ban the fish farms and then ban any fishing that isn't first nations - including all the sporties. Lets give it back and let them decide how the resource will be managed. Who wants to start a petition?

I was just gonna say something similar, also I bet if any FN are successful in removing a current farm they'll have their own going in short order. Ellis Ross is also pro LNG.

I'd take that bet. I give the first Nations more credit than that.

Ellis Ross... hand picked by Christy Clark.
Didn't even win his own village of Kitamat... hmnn...

.jpg

Last edited:
Its a downright challenge to understand quantifiable numbers using the term "First Nations". It sounds like all the first nations people but really in means more than 1 first nations person.

Undoubtedly, the jobs factor is the single biggest attraction to the open net-pen industry (other than the payoffs to the politicians, that is). It is offset somewhat by the reduction in commercial fisheries opportunities - all though the ownership for that reduction is not solely owned by the open net-pen industry - but has been the experience of both New Brunswick, Scotland - and now BC.

There are ways to maximize the pros and minimize the cons of the open net-pen technology - which include robust and scientifically-defensible environmental assessments that take into account things such as disease transfer risk, and ecological footprints.

That has to be forced onto the industry - like any other industrial proponent application - and the regulators cannot be the promoters, neither.

If the Province decides not to renew the foreshore application - that's it.

The industry is running out of options wrt clean water. I doubt if China is a viable alternative as some have suggested. More likely Chile - which has also struggled with things like disease outbreaks - but does not have wild salmon - except those which have escaped the net-pen industry.

In any event, with or without the open net-cage industry in it's current form and intensity - we will all survive - as will the communities on the coast.

First Nations have been here on the West Coast for 14,000+ yrs - they are not going anywhere, either.

Its a downright challenge to understand quantifiable numbers using the term "First Nations". It sounds like all the first nations people but really in means more than 1 first nations person.

The Times Colonist story was referring ONLY TO THE First Nations people of the Broughton Archipelago...you know, the ones who have been occupying in protest the Fish Farm in their territory. I thought that was pretty clear in my post which was a quote from the TC story on the front page of Sat. Dec. 2nd issue.

Si
So.... your saying that one minority, is going have enough power to have fish farms removed from the water all within a year? Wow, is there a court date or date with the aquaculture industry yet? And on what grounds are they using to shift the industry with?
This what I said.......
"Thanks for cleaning that up Bones ... we would not want the average reader thinking that "Taxpayers will be on the hook for moving an industry to land" now would we, given that some of the of leases are coming due this year. So in fact the ones that are coming up could be gone without any cost to the taxpayer. Imagine that."

I was responding to your fuzzy claim that we taxpayers would be on the hook. Nothing more and nothing less and again I thank you for cleaning up your statement as we would not want a casual reader to be misinformed about such an important issue.

This what I said.......
"Thanks for cleaning that up Bones ... we would not want the average reader thinking that "Taxpayers will be on the hook for moving an industry to land" now would we, given that some of the of leases are coming due this year. So in fact the ones that are coming up could be gone without any cost to the taxpayer. Imagine that."

I was responding to your fuzzy claim that we taxpayers would be on the hook. Nothing more and nothing less and again I thank you for cleaning up your statement as we would not want a casual reader to be misinformed about such an important issue.
lol nice spin and no answers??? lol typical

lol nice spin and no answers??? lol typical
I was trying to be polite. I could have said do put words in my mouth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back