Fish Descender Weight?

chiroken

I've read through several threads looking for suggestions on the weight to use on a descender. I think I will use a short stiff dedicated rod for the descender and I am wondering on the best recommended weight to use. I've seen everything from 1.5 to 10 to 15lbs. I don't think I'll use the downrigger so it needs to be usable off of a rod. I'll be in area 14. Thanks.

Two pound ball and one of those inverted wire hooks with a swivel snap seems to work fine. A little tricky to start them down but works. Low tech solution when you don't always have the downriggers on board.

Thanks for the replies. Can the Shelton type of descender still work on a downrigger? Don't you need that quick up jerk to release the fish?

i have an old rod that is busted so i cut it to the first eye. i have an ancient penn level wind reel on the rod with a shelton style descender and it’s ready to grab and deploy.

Thanks for the replies. Can the Shelton type of descender still work on a downrigger? Don't you need that quick up jerk to release the fish?
Are you against the seaqualizer? You can put the fish down and hook up your rod to the same downrigger and continue fishing with it down at the bottom. The fish will be on its way and you don't have to bring it up until you need the seaqualizer again.

Are you against the seaqualizer? You can put the fish down and hook up your rod to the same downrigger and continue fishing with it down at the bottom. The fish will be on its way and you don't have to bring it up until you need the seaqualizer again.
Hesitant 1) due to reading many reports of it failing after a relative short time and 2) the cost. I do not fish much and I'm looking at an effective way to preserve caught fish and not have it cost too much.

i have an old rod that is busted so i cut it to the first eye. i have an ancient penn level wind reel on the rod with a shelton style descender and it’s ready to grab and deploy.
this is exactly what I was thinking of doing. Find an old stiff rod to buck down and I've got a couple of level winds I've never used just sitting in a box.

Hesitant 1) due to reading many reports of it failing after a relative short time and 2) the cost. I do not fish much and I'm looking at an effective way to preserve caught fish and not have it cost too much.
Hmmm mines always worked for me. I wonder how many people fail because they don’t set it to the right depth.

They were free at boat shows a couple years ago but I doubt they are free now that you legally need some sort of descending Device on board.

Hmmm mines always worked for me. I wonder how many people fail because they don’t set it to the right depth.

They were free at boat shows a couple years ago but I doubt they are free now that you legally need some sort of descending Device on board.
Free?? Nope, they are $100 both at Tyee Marine and Riversportsman in Campbell River. As far a failing it was something about seals going, not sure. Definitely not something I'd leave attached to the cannonball itself. I might have lost a cannonball in the past and that would make it a very expensive loss with this attached to it! I imagine you can attach this with a regular scotty trolling snap just above the cannonball?

Free?? Nope, they are $100 both at Tyee Marine and Riversportsman in Campbell River. As far a failing it was something about seals going, not sure. Definitely not something I'd leave attached to the cannonball itself. I might have lost a cannonball in the past and that would make it a very expensive loss with this attached to it! I imagine you can attach this with a regular scotty trolling snap just above the cannonball?
Yeah you could attach it higher up than the cannonball. Just clip it on the line wherever. But you got to get the fish somewhat down to where you caught it so you should be connected to the downrigger ball.

So if you caught it in 150’ of water, maybe you set the sea qualizier to 100’ and lower the ball to 120’ and don’t risk losing your downrigger ball and the fish can probably figure it out from there

Yeah you could attach it higher up than the cannonball. Just clip it on the line wherever. But you got to get the fish somewhat down to where you caught it so you should be connected to the downrigger ball.

So if you caught it in 150’ of water, maybe you set the sea qualizier to 100’ and lower the ball to 120’ and don’t risk losing your downrigger ball and the fish can probably figure it out from there
yeah, I read on the seaquilizer site to release the fish at least 1/2 the depth you caught it at. Smart idea to over shoot a bit to ensure the fish releases.

Back