First Nations close off Thrasher......?????

They still use weirs, I watched the Capilano band make weirs out of shopping carts and rocks last year. I agree with dabell, they should use traditional methods, not modern seine boats with every bell and whistle.

'They' would be a rogue group not sanctioned by the Band executive. There are questionable methods for sure but to paint the entire FN with a broad brush stroke in this light is off the mark. I am referring to sanctioned food, harvest and commercial FN openings.

first nations will never change,either will the government. this is a war that will never end. the end of this war will be both parties will miss out on the big picture.i grew up in a commercial fishing family so I see that side of the issue. I also have seen the other side of the issue having growing up with native friends and the abuse of the priveleges of the laws they are governed by,which they agreed too. really nobody will gain from these tactics, this is a short term publicity tactic!!!

'They' would be a rogue group not sanctioned by the Band executive. There are questionable methods for sure but to paint the entire FN with a broad brush stroke in this light is off the mark. I am referring to sanctioned food, harvest and commercial FN openings.

It looked pretty sanctioned to me, broad day light, 30 natives or so, right beside the native campground. They were even selling them to guests in the campground . So call it what ever you want.

Just want everyone to know I did not start this thread to bash first nations... I have some friends that are first nations and I found this article very interesting.. no disrespect to them or there culture...Bellow is a Spirit Bear carving done by first nations friend I have known for 30 + years..I hang it proudly in my living room...009 (2).jpg.. just wanted everyone to know there is NO racism related to this thread..thankyou...JWC

Pretty sure this thread was started by the claim from the band, not by you JWC ;-) No one here is (or should be) using this as a racist thread. It is however sometimes difficult for people to separate the "race" from the heritage. From my personal standpoint I have both views (and a little native blood), but I think the heritage claim is getting a lilttle thin and should have settled 30 years ago. The key is that the natives (and particularly their lawyers) DO NOT want it to be settled. Unfortunately the courts agre with them.

Roger that.. lots of controversy here about what will happen, just don't want the big R word circling on anything I started...just needed to clear the air so to speak...

The Golden Lake Band tried this once on Georgian Bay. They even went so far as to say that you would be required to buy licences from them. Their claim that the fishery was an historical right was a little thin, however. The Pacific Salmon, Steelhead and Brown Trout in the great lakes were hardly a part of their history and no-one took them seriously. It never amounted to anything in the end. On the other hand, when they took over managing their fishery in Algonquin Park there was actually an improvement and instead of exceeding their quotas, they cut them by 1/3. In that case they did an excellent job. I do understand their frustration with DFO but they aren't doing themselves any favours by using tactics that seem to most as bizarre and ultimately ineffective.

Their beef is with the DFO ONLY they say.........and we all have a beef with the DFO it seems.....

Gail Shea's response to their claims was the typical " corporate babble-speak"

Maybe some good will come from all this somehow.

Are we ever upset with DFO too?......just look at the page after page after page of disgruntled posters here over the last years.....

Their beef is with the DFO ONLY they say.........and we all have a beef with the DFO it seems.....

Gail Shea's response to their claims was the typical " corporate babble-speak"

Maybe some good will come from all this somehow.

Are we ever upset with DFO too?......just look at the page after page after page of disgruntled posters here over the last years.....
So then if their beef is with DFO, then keep it targeted to DFO and maybe they would actually get support from the sporties rather than their wrath. I really don't think they recognize the power that could be generated with an association with the sporties if it was a true and bonifide attempt to grow the common ground.

Imagine a "ground roots' approach of the "people" (native and sporties) against the evil axis of corporate commercial greed and their "in-the-pocket" government cronies.

Good point, Finaddict. I have a lot of difficulty understanding why the FN's would want to **** off folks who share a lot of the same goals as they do with respect to the management of the fishery.

Nice of you to give a resource that belongs to all Canadians to one ethnic group. Who do you propose to give our farmland to? How about our forests?

Farmlands...Monsanto, forests ....Fletcher challenge, or actually probably some Chinese company as we just sold them a billion dollars worth of timber...

My 2 cents. Regardless of the merit of the natives concerns and frustrations, surely this is not a productive approach. As many have noted, they should be our ally as we have many of the same concerns on the DFO's mismanagement of the west coast fishery. Instead, they pull this idiotic stunt that will simply antagonize many of us, lead to conflict with fishermen and pleasure boaters, and alienate them further from most Canadians. If the natives put half as much effort into building alliances and working with common stakeholders (like us) as they did at pulling idiotic stunts for the benefit of the TV cameras, perhaps some real progress could be made.

So far what I have understood what this is about, is the allocation of Geoduck clams. Is this right or is this another issue?

Must have read a different article.

Good to here , nobody wants to see anyone missing mortgage payments or unable to put food on the table.. Thanks for the update bigbruce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back