First Nations close off Thrasher......?????

My posted article was a day newer then yours.. Lets hope calmer heads prevail..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it was, JWC, but it doesn't say anything about the FN folks taking any action against the prawn fishers. There is nothing to suggest that anything other than calm is prevailing. Let's not try to stir something up that doesn't need stirring.

Wonder what this "little BS" cost us taxpayers in increased cost for the RCMP and others.

Cheers

SS

Wonder what this "little BS" cost us taxpayers in increased cost for the RCMP and others.

Cheers

SS

Keeps them trained up in their boat...and out of the Starbucks!

Seems to me like this little stunt did get a bunch of media time...didn't really effect anyone...maybe brought the their message out...so they are winning?

they have zero authority , cannot board you ask you questions or harraze you.
take video and or close ups and voice recording of and threats or intimidations.
We are Canadian leaving under out laws. in Georgia Straight not some invented name by swend robbinson.
hope out ground , together we will win what we already have. just dont take any BS

ONE LAW FOR ALL ...... bottom line .... this reverse discrimination has got to come to a STOP.

as said, See Ya at Thrasher, Porlier Etc.

Along with winning, they sure are whining after all the government handouts they receive.
Keeps them trained up in their boat...and out of the Starbucks!

Seems to me like this little stunt did get a bunch of media time...didn't really effect anyone...maybe brought the their message out...so they are winning?

?..after all the government handouts they receive.

Read a little history along the way, and it seems we set ourselves up for this by signing treaties...if we had just been honest conquers and not made any other promises along the way we would not be in this mess. We signed with them on the dotted line...then took what we could. Driving through most reserves I don't think they are living the high life...seems a lot more like a ghetto. Even this whole protest seems more towards the DFO than anyone...so what's the real beef here...or is this all pointy white hat stuff?

Read a little history? It seems to me very few bands in BC have treaties??Seems like pointy green hat thing maybe- People in Victoria are certainly not in step with mainstream Canadians!

Read a little history along the way, and it seems we set ourselves up for this by signing treaties...if we had just been honest conquers and not made any other promises along the way we would not be in this mess. We signed with them on the dotted line...then took what we could. Driving through most reserves I don't think they are living the high life...seems a lot more like a ghetto. Even this whole protest seems more towards the DFO than anyone...so what's the real beef here...or is this all pointy white hat stuff?
Unfortunately DVL you are 100% correct here. The reallly sad part is that some bands are very wealthy and some are very poor and most of that seems to be dependent on the initaitve and skill of their band officials. Overall we do not give as much in the way of handouts as every one thinks.

In 2013 the total Indian and native affairs budget approached 8 Billion dollars and that sounds like alot, but there are 1,400,565 status natives and Metis in Canada (or about $5700.00 per person) or if you remove status metis from the picture it would be about 1,000,000 natives and about $8,000 per person. I think what needs to be done is more encouragement to model the plan developed by the Osoyoos band. They have capitalized on their available resources in an area that is mostly arid desert.Out of a cactus and tumble weed hill , they have built an excellent campground right on Osoyoos lake, built a vineyard and a winery and are one of the wealthiest bands in North America. They have a number of new initiatives and they work very closely with the town of Osoyoos and actually are an employer who has stretched beyond the capacity of their nbad and hires other Canadians as well. Not because of handouts, but because of their own initiative, and sweat-equity. Look up their band chief. He is quite an interesting read. He was the one who said to his band that "No one was going to pull them out of poverty except themselves". Now look at them. They are truly a world class success story.

Instead of handouts, give them business skills. If their band leaders are not prepared to work out a good business plans, remove them and get someone else from within the band to take over. Make ANY land or resource claims settlements dependent upon a well designed business plans going forward and make the courts enforce it. If the plan does not go accordingly, or the wealth is not distributed according to performance, have a contingency clause that allows for removal of official, and the right to rescind the agreement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what needs to be done is more encouragement to model the plan developeod by the Osoyoos band.

Agree completely. The Osoyoos band have done and continue to do an excellent job managing their finances and business opportunities.

The issue is not about handouts, it's about leadership. Unfortunately, many bands are run by inept or even dishonest councils. The saying natives have is "the Chiefs driveway is always paved"

And there lies the truth. If you wait for someone else to give you something for nothing and then hope that will give you prosperity, you are a fool. That is a message that is accurate for everyone to just the natives. If you want....then get off your butt and go get it yourself. Probably the best message you can give your own kids. Get out there and hustle.

The other major problem is that there is a very well entrenched government/native industry that will do everything it its power to NOT make changes. There are few very well paid government officials, band leaders, and attorneys that will do everything they can to keep status quo (pun intended)

Pointy green hat...awesome.

Seems like this is truly a protest about resources so that is a hat I can wear comfortably...

Human initiative is sometimes hampered by social conditions and if you live in the third world neighbourhood in a first world country it can be hard to "gett'er done!" Strangely enough a lot of First Nations get a free ride in university...but you seldom see a huge amount of them enrolled...why is that? Yeah, they must be lazy and just not want it enough...I'm sure that is it!

Seems like this is truly a protest about resources so that is a hat I can wear comfortably...

Human initiative is sometimes hampered by social conditions and if you live in the third world neighbourhood in a first world country it can be hard to "gett'er done!" Strangely enough a lot of First Nations get a free ride in university...but you seldom see a huge amount of them enrolled...why is that? Yeah, they must be lazy and just not want it enough...I'm sure that is it!

I think your right. Going to school still takes effort even if it's free. Why do the work when you can get by pretty well as a "victim". How come when I drive through one of these "third world neighbourhoods", most of the homes and vehicles, though in rough shape, are much newer than the ones I own? The fact is it's there for them if they want it. This passed down attitude of entitlement and victimization has to end. A few FN's I know have really prospered by taking advantage of their privileges, and because of this, so has their communities. No one is more frustrated than them.

Hat's off to anyone that is able to fight for the future of our environment and resources.

BINGO- we have a winner!

...Why do the work when you can get by pretty well as a "victim"....This passed down attitude of entitlement and victimization has to end.

Yeah, having worked with FN at a high school level I can assure you that there is a lot of victimization going on in this community, between substance abuse and serious social issues. No matter how many new trucks or modular homes you throw at it...you are not going to fix it. Maybe you are right we should just kick them lose...let them sort it out on there own. Money safety and security should just be for the people that pay for it...that's what this country is founded on...no wait...that's the states. I live in Canada.

Back