First Nation Opposes Changes To Halibut Quota

Cheers Fish4all,

We are in agreement on the USA visitors requiring a BC Guide. As for the seasonal limits for halibut I would accept 20/year in years of high abundance and am willing to reduce in years of low abundance. I am sure a grid could be established for the decrease/or increase in consideration of TAC. However...since I fish mostly in the south (where the average weight is demonstrably smaller than in the north, I would hold to the 20 fish/year. While virtually nobody I know would need this much I wish the right to retain up to and including this amount. I cannot speak for others but I do share a lot of my catch with family and I have 5 brothers and sisters as well as other immediate family who enjoy a couple of halibut a year. It is surprising how fast a person can go through that many. Most of my guests wish to take home 2 or 3 per person and it definately impacts my business in a negative fashion when they are restricted below that threshold.

I would agree with some of the others that posted. If you want to catch fish for friends and family either A) take them with you or B) send them to the store. It is nice to give away fish but it is being exploited.

Cheers

Interesting to see so many that limit their use of this resource to actual need. However, should I choose to harvest 20/year under one license or should I be required to purchase an additional tag for family the net result is still 20 fish harvested. It is simply a book keeping entry and does little to the bottom line. If you determine that 5 is the number then we purchase 4 licenses. Again the total number harvested will simply be a function of need and, as there is not a conservation issue, a moot point. Again...this is a common property resource and when you tell me that a commercial fisherman can harvest 15,000 lbs and I am only provided 5 it seems we have all missed the point in opening access to this common property resource.

As for sending them to the store they do not - and will not - as they wish fresh as well as supporting friends and family. One could also extrapolate to suggest that 15,000/commercial license is also an exploitation of the resource. I do take family and friends with me as many times as we can as the final product tastes better if one remembers the catch. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting to see so many that limit their use of this resource to actual need. However, should I choose to harvest 20/year under one license or should I be required to purchase an additional tag for family the net result is still 20 fish harvested. It is simply a book keeping entry and does little to the bottom line. If you determine that 5 is the number then we purchase 4 licenses. Again the total number harvested will simply be a function of need and, as there is not a conservation issue, a moot point. Again...this is a common property resource and when you tell me that a commercial fisherman can harvest 15,000 lbs and I am only provided 5 it seems we have all missed the point in opening access to this common property resource.

As for sending them to the store they do not - and will not - as they wish fresh as well as supporting friends and family. One could also extrapolate to suggest that 15,000/commercial license is also an exploitation of the resource. I do take family and friends with me as many times as we can as the final product tastes better if one remembers the catch. :)

When you start to supply the neighbourhood then you are in direct conflict with the commercial fisherman as that is their job. No disrespect meant but you cant have it all.

Who can afford to go to the store and buy it at 46.90 a kg.That was the price at Fairway in Langford last week for previously frozen halibut fillets.Seems to me its going the way of gasoline with its inflated prices.

Who can afford to go to the store and buy it at 46.90 a kg.That was the price at Fairway in Langford last week for previously frozen halibut fillets.Seems to me its going the way of gasoline with its inflated prices.

Guess, that would only be 25%, as 75% is exported! Wondering... COSCO in Canada selling Canadian or Californian? I noticed the other day our COSTCO was selling wild halibut cuaght in California, for a lot less than that! :)

Now we're condemning 'a gift' to a good neighbour?
I think this thing is going sideways some.
I'm all for accountability as I think this, along with educating both fisheries managers and the public about the TREMENDOUS economic contribution/value we rec-fishers make with our minuscule TAC, will save our fishery.

Back