Fiberglass transom repairs

kunni

Ok, so I got a 10ft achilles RIB the other day, for $200 Its a solid boat, but the only problem is that there are open cracks in the fiberglass, at the top of the transom. The cracks are no more than about 1/4 inches wide. The are at the top of the transom, and no further down the transom that about 1inch. They are up from were the outboard clamps would sit. The name plate on the boat is also gone, so there are 4 little holes were screws would be. I took a needle, and poked around in there, and the wood seems totally dry. The guy I bought it from claims to have kept it in his garage for a 1 year before selling it. I have kept duct tape on all the cracks and hole to insure no water gets in. How would I fix it. Would marine silicone work, or should I grind down the fiberglass, and glass over the cracks. I will be using an outboard on it if that makes any difference.

kunni

Sounds like you will need to use fiberglass for this repair. Do you have any pictures of the cracks? It's hard to say without seeing them.

I would use an epoxy repair kit from west systems. 105 resin and 205 hardener with several layers of cloth. Don't use fiberglass mat for this type of repair with epoxy.

I am having some troubles with getting the pictures on, but if I can i will

kunni

Last edited by a moderator:
Back