Family & Coastal Fishing 16ft Boat Reccos

If you can find one a later model whaler 150 Supersport would work awesome. Not tippy, rugged and easy to clean / trailer.

We had one from 2012 to 2015, it was a tender from a rvyc boat who changed it out for a rib. It had super low hours and cost me 15k back then, i'm guessing there has been quite a shift since in cost. It is still on a dock at little cates now.

Another nice small rig is a 16" Scout.
Yes a whaler would be great, just finding them very expensive. The two 16fts I can see are $35K each, so a bit out of budget. But will keep my eye out. Thanks for your thoughts. And will check out the 16" Scout.

Owning a 16' boat myself, I will say it's really only good for 2 people.
Any more and you're always bumping into each other.
And forget about fishing, it just doesn't work with more than 2 people.
Yes I hear you on size, I am sure in 2 years we will be upgrading to something bigger when we can get a bigger slip. But want to try it out with the slip size we can get as at the moment slips have a 2 year wait list! Eek!

If it helps any I resold my legend for 20% less than I paid for it and it worked out at $4K/year ownership cost. So they are very economical and hold their resale value.
Just dont try to stuff more than 2 chartplotters, a VHF, 3 lithium banks and a couple of sonar transducers on it. you will regret it when you spend 2 weeks uninstalling all your electronics prior to resale. just sayin.

I have had a 16’ and 17’ Arima and used them in Howe Sound as well as the West Coast. The 16 Arima Sea Explorer would be fine and is very stable. Look for a 1994 or later as they have a wider beam than earlier model.

This looks perfect for you, 16 arima with a 2017 yamaha 70 with only 200 hours, 20k
I already messaged him and sadly he thinks it is sold. We will see it if it falls through. Let me know if you spot another one!

View attachment 91987View attachment 91988
I like the look of this, it might be a bit long for our slip, we have an 18ft slip, but the marina warned we can't go longer than that with the engine up. I am going to take a look at the spot soon, to see what others are putting on the slips to see if we could get away with 17ft. Thanks for sharing and do share others you spot.

I like the look of this, it might be a bit long for our slip, we have an 18ft slip, but the marina warned we can't go longer than that with the engine up. I am going to take a look at the spot soon, to see what others are putting on the slips to see if we could get away with 17ft. Thanks for sharing and do share others you spot.
You would be better off with an Arima, Hourston or double eagle than that.

Ya for Ocean fishing and resale I would go with the ^^^ as they hold better value and are a better option if you can find one in your budget.

Not cheap but looks like very high quality

I've had my 16" eagle with a 60 hp for 22 years now. I will keep it until I can no longer easily handle it myself, such as rolling it around the yard or on a breezy day launching from the beach.

But I would recommend the 16' Arima. Often there these 2 boats are the only guys out at a prawning spot of mine, for you needs I would take the Arima. My kids are grown, but having a covered cabin increases your kids comfort and therefore extends your day on the water.

Prices haven't come down much, seen several 16 double eagles sell for the same amount as my original receipt for the year old one I bought from Parker's

Cheers

I owned a 17 ft Livingston viking, cuddy cabin, self bailing great boat. Seats 4 easy. Fish boxes. Hard to find though. Worth a look for sure.

Attachments

• 20190423_082111.jpg
    20190423_082111.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190423_082135.jpg
    20190423_082135.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I've had my 16" eagle with a 60 hp for 22 years now. I will keep it until I can no longer easily handle it myself, such as rolling it around the yard or on a breezy day launching from the beach.

But I would recommend the 16' Arima. Often there these 2 boats are the only guys out at a prawning spot of mine, for you needs I would take the Arima. My kids are grown, but having a covered cabin increases your kids comfort and therefore extends your day on the water.

Prices haven't come down much, seen several 16 double eagles sell for the same amount as my original receipt for the year old one I bought from Parker's

Cheers
I heard today that double eagle is not making any new 16 or 17 only their 18 and 20 . If this is true it is not good news for somebody who wants a decent smaller boat.

Those are tough limitations - 16' slip and 5 people. Those kids will be wanting more space all the time. Are you really stuck with the 16' slip, because that seems like an unnecessary restriction. Could it be on a trailer? Could you trade up to a bigger slip?

Any 16 with a closed bow is going to be tough accommodating 5. A cuddy like the Arima might work but Double Eagles, Hourstons etc are going to be cramped for seating. A more open design will give you more flexible space but you will be more vulnerable to weather...its the usual game of tradeoffs!

Back