F350 GVWR/registration/ICBC etc.

M1SF1T

Long time lurker...

I've been out of province working for the past 11 years - planned on 4 years max, but that's another story...

Anyway it looks like we will be moving back to the coast hopefully in the next year or so... I've got time to make up on the water so will look at a 25-27' aluminium, something I can do a weekend on when I'm back, but I need a new truck now...

So trying to future plan with a Ford Super Duty purchase.

I want to get an F350. But I don't know what the current rules are in BC regarding registration/licensing of trucks over 4500 kg. In Ontario it's a mess... previously they've treated them as commercial trucks with increased expenses, registrations, and inspections to go with them, currently they're exempted from these requirements for personal usage.

What's the rule in BC right now? I don't want any issues or needless expense with ICBC registering/insuring a truck like this for personal use when I get back.

I'd like to just buy the an F350 with full GVWR capacity, but I could get the "derated" 11,4000 lbs. or 9900 lbs. sticker, or even go with an F250 with a heavy tow kit, springs, and rear axle that essentially makes it an F350 just with a lighter weight printed on the door sticker.

I'd appreciate insight from you guys with trucks like these and what the requirements currently are in BC.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Long time lurker...

I've been out of province working for the past 11 years - planned on 4 years max, but that's another story...

Anyway it looks like we will be moving back to the coast hopefully in the next year or so... I've got time to make up on the water so will look at a 25-27' aluminium, something I can do a weekend on when I'm back, but I need a new truck now...

I want to get an F350. But I don't know what the current rules are in BC regarding registration/licensing of trucks over 4500 kg. In Ontario it's a mess... previously they've treated them as commercial trucks with increased expenses, registrations, and inspections to go with them, currently they're exempted from these requirements for personal usage.

What's the rule in BC right now? I don't want any issues or needless expense with ICBC registering/insuring a truck like this for personal use when I get back.

I'd like to just buy the an F350 with full GVWR capacity, but I could get the "derated" 11,4000 lbs. or 9900 lbs. sticker, or even go with an F250 with a heavy tow kit, springs, and rear axle that essentially makes it an F350 just with a lighter weight printed on the door sticker.

I'd appreciate insight from you guys with trucks like these and what the requirements currently are in BC.

Thanks in advance.

My experience has been, as long as you don't try to insure the truck for 'commercial use' you are fine over 9900 pounds.

If you want to insure for business or commercial and you are GVWR over 5,000 kg you need to go through the song and dance of getting the transport # and put your name number on the side of the truck ands to at all weigh scales loaded or not.

Last edited:
Hi BCI,

Thanks for your reply.

That's reassuring. This is 100% personal use. I don't want to get caught with any commercial requirement like Ontario has had in the past irrespective of actual use.

I also don't want to get stuck with some surcharge or tax on that size of vehicle that I may not be aware of.

Any advantage anyone can see to get the reduced weight designation in that case?

Does insurance cost differ on GVWR etc?

Hi BCI,

Thanks for your reply.

That's reassuring. This is 100% personal use. I don't want to get caught with any commercial requirement like Ontario has had in the past irrespective of actual use.

I also don't want to get stuck with some surcharge or tax on that size of vehicle that I may not be aware of.

Any advantage anyone can see to get the reduced weight designation in that case?

My 2019 f 250 is rated at 9900 lbs , no need to go to a f 350 if that is all your looking for. In my case I bought a new camper this year and I'm going to have to step up to a f 350 to get the extra GVW I need. My old camper was fine but the boss insisted on having the full stand up shower, Between the camper and the new truck these will be the very expensive showers.LOL Happy wife ect.ect.ect

Hi BCI,

Thanks for your reply.

If you are buying a truck in BC, the 1-ton class (F-350) will not be subject to the 'passenger vehicle luxury tax'. The F150 and F250 are subject to the passenger vehicle luxury tax on purchases.

You can order the 1 ton trucks 350/3500s with a 9900 CVWR package to 1. get the 1 ton no luxury tax benefit and 2. avoid the CVSE commercial vehicle registration / log book / scales etc for business use.

Or you can drive around with any GVWR rating on your 1-ton pickup as long as you aren't insuring it for commercial / business use.

•  A passenger vehicle is a motor vehicle designed primarily as a means of transport for individuals, including trucks and vans that are 3⁄4-ton or less. Trucks and vans larger than 3⁄4-ton, camperized vans, motor homes, buses, ambulances, hearses and motorcycles with engines of 250 cc or less are not passenger vehicles.

NOTE: These rules can change like a game of cat and mouse. Check with your local ICBC agent (one who is familiar with large pick ups) to be sure that the rules are still current.

Last edited:
My 2019 f 250 is rated at 9900 lbs , no need to go to a f 350 if that is all your looking for. In my case I bought a new camper this year and I'm going to have to step up to a f 350 to get the extra GVW I need. My old camper was fine but the boss insisted on having the full stand up shower, Between the camper and the new truck these will be the very expensive showers.LOL Happy wife ect.ect.ect

Hi Rob,

Thanks.

I would go with the de-rated sticker and risk having to go "over" if I was going to get hit with issues and fees even as a personal use operator, but I would rather just get the higher rated vehicle sticker.

Sounds like there aren't any issues though.

Did you compare insurance cost on your 250 to your 350?

Thanks again.

If you are buying a truck in BC, the 1-ton class (F-350) will not be subject to the 'passenger vehicle luxury tax'. The F150 and F250 are subject to the passenger vehicle luxury tax on purchases.

You can order the 1 ton trucks 350/3500s with a 9900 CVWR package to 1. get the 1 ton no luxury tax benefit and 2. avoid the CVSE commercial vehicle registration / log book / scales etc for business use.

Or you can drive around with any GVWR rating on your 1-ton pickup as long as you aren't insuring it for commercial / business use.

•  A passenger vehicle is a motor vehicle designed primarily as a means of transport for individuals, including trucks and vans that are 3⁄4-ton or less. Trucks and vans larger than 3⁄4-ton, camperized vans, motor homes, buses, ambulances, hearses and motorcycles with engines of 250 cc or less are not passenger vehicles.

NOTE: These rules can change like a game of cat and mouse. Check with your local ICBC agent (one who is familiar with large pick ups) to be sure that the rules are still current.

Thanks again BCI.

I'll be buying out of province before I move and bringing it with me so BC taxes will be exempt.

I hear you about rule changes, that's why I am posting. Nice to know what the landscape today is rather than be surprised.

Reactions: BCI
Long time lurker...

Thanks in advance.
I didn’t buy the derated one in fact I avoided it to ensure if I had an accident with the camper and boat on the weights would line up in the stickers at least. I, bought the one with camper package and haven’t had any issues with insurance. They did mention the weight when I insured it but I think it had minimal impact on the insurance.

Thanks kaelc.

Glad to hear you're running without issue.

It sounds like going full rated F350 is the way to go.

Sounds like a dually is in your future! Likely get awesome trade in on your F350.

Have you looked at upgrading your GVWR? There is a place in Vancouver that does it, might be worth it if you think you can get by with a single rear wheel set up.

Hi Rob,

Thanks.

I would go with the de-rated sticker and risk having to go "over" if I was going to get hit with issues and fees even as a personal use operator, but I would rather just get the higher rated vehicle sticker.

Sounds like there aren't any issues though.

Did you compare insurance cost on your 250 to your 350?

Thanks again.
No I havn't compared the insurance cost yet but I don't think it will be a whole lot more , But I'm sure the diff in trucks will be pile. Ford keeps reaching out to me and trying to buy the 250, they say they will give more than market value for it... Doesn't look good on getting any kind of a deal on the 350 and they claim that there is a 4-6 month wait to get a new one from the factory.

I just told my insurance agent I needed 9500kg GVW on my dodge and they said no problem! Just had to pay a bit more because of it. After I sold my trailer I dropped it back to 1 1/2 times the vehicle weight( lowest you can go) to save on the insurance.

I just told my insurance agent I needed 9500kg GVW on my dodge and they said no problem! Just had to pay a bit more because of it. After I sold my trailer I dropped it back to 1 1/2 times the vehicle weight( lowest you can go) to save on the insurance.
Thanks Fox.

So nothing to do with GVWR? Just actual weight?

What's the GVWR of your Dodge?

Thanks Fox.

So nothing to do with GVWR? Just actual weight?

What's the GVWR of your Dodge?
Sorry, I was used “GVW”instead of GVWR. I had my GVWR (vehicle weight plus trailer weight) raised from whatever it was to 9500kg to tow my flat deck trailer rated at 14000lbs. After I sold the trailer I dropped it down to somewhere around 4200kg to save on the insurance cost of being labeled a “commercial vehicle”. I can always raise it back up if I get another big trailer. My truck weight slightly over 6000lbs empty.

Thanks guys.

All good info.

Didn't realize that you could change the weight so easily.

I'm getting an order worked out for an F350 with a local dealer. I'm looking forward to getting back to BC with it and getting fishing again though.

I thought I'd close this out.

Picked up my '23 F350 with the 6.7 high output Powerstroke a couple weeks ago.
GVWR is 12,000 lbs.
ICBC is a couple hundred a month with extra liability and all extras, new vehicle replacement, etc.
Ended up saving on the luxury tax with the dealer since it's a 1 ton.
Now just need to find a place to live and get a new boat.

I thought I'd close this out.

Picked up my '23 F350 with the 6.7 high output Powerstroke a couple weeks ago.
GVWR is 12,000 lbs.
ICBC is a couple hundred a month with extra liability and all extras, new vehicle replacement, etc.
Ended up saving on the luxury tax with the dealer since it's a 1 ton.
Now just need to find a place to live and get a new boat.
My buddy has that figured out for you, new multimillion dollar house to be completed in a few months and you can negotiate a Grady White 282 Sailfish in the deal! Joking congrats on the truck. I’ve got a 2015 F350 6.7 it tows well. What community do you want to land in?

My buddy has that figured out for you, new multimillion dollar house to be completed in a few months and you can negotiate a Grady White 282 Sailfish in the deal! Joking congrats on the truck. I’ve got a 2015 F350 6.7 it tows well. What community do you want to land in?
LOL... I'm going to have to meet your buddy then, sounds like a good package! But I may not be able to get the multimillion dollar house or I won't be able to afford the 28 footer!

We're pretty open on where we land. We're going to be doing a short term rental from my wife's cousin in Cumberland starting next month until we get things figured out, but roughly wanting to find a rural property +/- 5 ac. Targeting somewhere roughly between Qualicum Beach and Black Creek. Comox Valley is preferred but other locations aren't a deal killer if we find the right property.

Back