evinrudes

the runt

Hi everyone,just a note i was checking out the new evirudes [etech] series. the salesmen is saying that the new engines are better than the yammies in speed and fuel mileage.He claimed since Bomadiar bought out evinrude they worked out the bugs.anyone own the new engine.

yep! and i love it ! great power and very very good on fuel!

my friend has the same size boat and horse power motor but it`s a yami . i get better fuel and speed .

I looked long and hard at buying an E-TEC when I bought the new boat,very few people that I could find had them,starting to see some around now,I always ask the people that own them.All positive comments so far.If they get better fuel mileage than the yamaha,with better power then they are on to something.my yamaha is REALLY GOOD on fuel.Lazy up out of the hole though.One of my fishing buddies is going to go with the E-TEC,DAN

quote:.Lazy up out of the hole though
This is one thing they are definitely not... These engines are light and 2 stroke,, they were built for just that reason...

I have the second season on my 175 E-TEC now and I continue to be impressed with this engine... They are by far the best power to wait and for horse power of any manufacturer I have come up against... I run a 20' Lund decked out with all the goodies including a 9.9 for trolling and I move along at a top speed of 50mph.. I can cruise comfortably at 30mph at 2800 rpm and fuel consumption is very good.. We fished out of Sunny Shores this past summer for 9 days running out to all the usual including Sheringham 3 times,, and all on $175.00 fuel and when I was done I still had a good 1/4 tank of fuel left... These engines really do stand alone in there tecnologie.. I believe it is only a matter of time till they really start to show up on a lot of water craft...
IMG_1014.jpg

New 2 stroke direct injection engines have low emissions and great power and torque (not to mention don't have to worry about oil changes and are also fuel efficient). I am happy to see E-Tec engines do so well and hope Yamaha will see that their HPDI direct injection 2 strokes are worth keeping around.

The guy in the picture without the hat, do you think he is suffering a hangover:D:D:D?
See you on the water[8D]
Mikiki

I'm looking at bringing a Striper 2101 up from California over the winter. All the boats I see (1997-2001) have Johnson or Evinrude 150 or 175 hp engines. A friend of mine told me they are **** and I shouldn't look at any boat with one of these engines (problem with the heads?).

Any truth to his comments?

Thanks,
Dan

quote:Originally posted by Backatit

I'm looking at bringing a Striper 2101 up from California over the winter. All the boats I see (1997-2001) have Johnson or Evinrude 150 or 175 hp engines. A friend of mine told me they are **** and I shouldn't look at any boat with one of these engines (problem with the heads?).

I know a guy that ran the evinrude "ocean pro" model 150hp
and he had nothing nice to say about it. in fact the air was usually quite "blue" whenever the topic came up.
Those were troubled years for OMC , however it does appear that E-TEC
models have risen above the problem's they had.

aslo my e-tec 90hp is about 100lbs lighter then a comparable 4 stroke . thats why i went with the evinrude. tight lines scotty

The Evinrude/Johnsons you need to stay away from are the FICHT (99-2004). They are the main culprit of the company going bankrupt a few years ago. They have since become Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP). Some of those engines blew with only 30 hours on them. Who ever designed those motors was a fool. Some of the larger motors were ok but you take your chances. I have 96 175hp Ocean Pro and it is a great motor. Only downsize is it's insatiable thirst with fuel. However tons of power and runs like a clock. Also very easy to maintain.

No they did build Ocean Pro's with the FICHT system. Stay away from those. However the non FICHT are good motors.

Hey Backatit, I run a Seaswirl 2101 WA hardtop which has a 150 hp Yami and High Thrust 8 hp Yami. Love the boat and the Yami's but if you can get one with a 200 hp, I think it would be better. These boat are heavy and I am only getting 28 mph at 4200 rpm.... I will be looking into a different prop as the manufacturer claims I should be doing better than this. Had the boat offshore on the West side 6 times this year and it can take some pretty big rollers with slop on top.... I purchased mine in Oregon from Hayden Yacht and saved about $30K from what I would of had to pay in Victoria.:D Striper Sniper

I also own a 96 175 Ocean Pro and I can't say enough nice things about it. Lots of hours and it burns a bit more oil, however, it owes me nothing, a great engine.
Just a note, if your Evinrude suggests using Carbon Guard, use it, it is a little costly however it seems to be well worth the cost.
I have also heard to stay away from the FICHT series of engines.
Just my two cents worth.

Thanks Striper Sniper...I've been thinking it might be a good idea to buy the boat, sell the engine and upgrade to a 200hp...but I'll just work on getting the boat as a start. Everytime I talk about boats my wife goes a little more nuts.

Its true the Ficht motor was the downfall of the old Evenrude company however, it was the cost of putting the Ficht engines right. I purchased a new 2000 200hp Ficht which then had the warranty work performed. I have over 400 hours on the motor and its never given me any problems at all.

Glad to hear it Gronk. I am glad you got a good one. Like I said in one of my posts some of the larger block motors were excellent but it was a crap shoot. I know of several people in the states that got burned real bad on motors that were pooched after a month. Sounds like you did your homework where a lot of others did not. Regards.

Back