Evinrude building electric outboards??

gungadin

Apparently Evinrude is continuing with a new line of "outboards" that won't be outwardly visible. It seems you will only be able to get it in a package with a new boat, either on a pontoon or aluminium boat. No buying to install on your own boat. How can they put an outboard "as we visulise it presently" literally underwater. That would be extraordinarily difficult. Are they going to use a sealed outdrive (just the leg) and power it with a sealed electric motor, that would be my guess. Would you buy one? Good business plan or ?

they shelved it since they shut down their factory and laid off all 650 employees.
they might continue it as an R&D project only. that is, not going to become commercially viable anytime soon. its just a lab demo at this point.
Project M looks more viable but requires the ghost outboard so who knows.
1-brp-ghost.webp

Last edited:
They announced that project - called Project Ghost - at their AGM last fall. @zurk says above that it's shelved right now which seems logical given that they quit making outboards altogether just a short while ago. They awarded a contract to Mercury to supply motors for the boat brands owned by BRP.

Anyway, there are only renderings of Project Ghost. I haven't seen any actual photos. Here's one from the AGM powerpoint presentation

ghost.png

That was my thought when I heard about Project Ghost...that It was some type of electric outboard.

The disclaimer on Evinrude website says they are working on the next generation of propulsion. With cars/trucks going electric, seems a logical assumption.

Also closing down their Fairmont factory also fits as it would need retooled but who knows.
Electric motors need big batteries...with current tech anyway. Weight will be too much for most boats I'd think.

Whatever it is, my guess is they will rebrand and not use the name Evinrude. They need to loose the old oil burning 2 stroke stigma.

Back