Everyday post a photo of a reel you own.

This is a true testament to the functionality and overall longevity of PEETZ reels. There are reels out there that are over 80 years old and still fishing strong.

This one happened to land itself into the middle of a raging fire. In the end when it was rediscovered all chared and burned, you would think that there would be no life left in it. Well the drag and the clicker still work and it turns true on its spindle.

The clicker still sounds amazing.
How about a new future model?? call it the "Scorcher"

This is a true testament to the functionality and overall longevity of PEETZ reels. There are reels out there that are over 80 years old and still fishing strong.

This one happened to land itself into the middle of a raging fire. In the end when it was rediscovered all chared and burned, you would think that there would be no life left in it. Well the drag and the clicker still work and it turns true on its spindle.

The clicker still sounds amazing.
fire sale?

Here's a few more PEETZ. Two six inch Recorders, one is pre war. The other reel in the middle is a standard classic five inch.
A quick question in regards to the Peetz Reels and it's history...... Why were they all made to be right hand retrieve ?
I CAN fish them right handed but prefer not to. I have converted all of mine over to left hand.

A quick question in regards to the Peetz Reels and it's history...... Why were they all made to be right hand retrieve ?
I CAN fish them right handed but prefer not to. I have converted all of mine over to left hand.
Throughout the history of the company there has always been left or right hand retrieve reels. The market in Pacific Northwest in saltwater Knuckle-Buster reels have predominantly been right hand. I have lefties in my collection.

Throughout the history of the company there has always been left or right hand retrieve reels. The market in Pacific Northwest in saltwater Knuckle-Buster reels have predominantly been right hand. I have lefties in my collection.
Would love to see some pictures of the left handed versions.. Maybe if a newer version is planned in the future a couple of small threaded inserts can be set into the reel to convert over the line guide quickly.

Can anyone shed some light on this reel? Picked it up last year with an assortment of other goodies.

Attachments

• 20240223_195428.jpg
    20240223_195428.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20240223_195440.jpg
    20240223_195440.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 46
Can anyone shed some light on this reel? Picked it up last year with an assortment of other goodies.
What is the measurement across the spool of the reel? It looks like PEETZ & SON era. Is the reel foot one piece or is it ridged two piece?

This is my 1953-55 Era Mitchell 302 Saltwater. It has the half bail that was only on this edition. I got it from my grandparents' garage sale back in '79 or '80. It was my first reel. Just got it cleaned up by Mike's Reel Repair. It's a working reel and I am going to use it.

Attachments

• 20240224_113345.jpg
    20240224_113345.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 20
It's a 5" diameter and single piece foot.
That is actually a riveted foot. If a true 5 inch and not 5-3/4in. Then it is very rare and hard to find. It is of an era between 1947 and 1953. I would comment that it is probably closer to 1947 in that it also has a straight back strap as the newer models are generally slightly tapered.

The extra handle holes would slightly devalue the specimen and the yellow dot generally indicated that it was a factory second and sold at a discounted price.

Last edited:
Christmas passed and no fishing gear in my stocking… Birthday passed and no custom lures or new flashers… so I had to buy myself a little gift - a personal reward for being a great dad, loving husband and buying a new business ;). Thanks to the helpful guys at Island outfitters for giving me a great deal! I couldn’t say no..

Attachments

• IMG_5549.jpeg
    IMG_5549.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5550.jpeg
    IMG_5550.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 24
Christmas passed and no fishing gear in my stocking… Birthday passed and no custom lures or new flashers… so I had to buy myself a little gift - a personal reward for being a great dad, loving husband and buying a new business ;). Thanks to the helpful guys at Island outfitters for giving me a great deal! I couldn’t say no..
Just spoiling yourself a little bit :cool:

Great choice, keep the cork oiled. You might like the flat paddles available. At first I just put one on and would switch from stock paddle to flat paddle, but there was no comparison for my style, flat paddles made a difference.

I thought the one way drag models only had the new style
Wingnut but this one has the original wingnut?
That reel is one of the original prototypes. You are correct about the production models built after Bill Hooson era. The owners in-between Bill and 2023 used the new style on all Evolution and Banshee drag reels.

2024 forward we will continue with the new style on all Evolution drag reels. We are discontinuing the Banshee reel. We will be bringing the Classic back to its roots with the old school classic styling that many traditionalist have requested.

Last edited:
Back