Esquimalt Lagoon and Witty's Lagoon

falcon1

Can you fish at either of these places? As a child, I went to both spots in the summer, not to fish but to play. At witty's I remember wading out into water
2' deep, and catching glimpses of large sculpin, 6-8" sole, and what may hae been surf perch. At esquimalt, there is this little stream that runs from the ocean, and around the back of the beach. The tides have dug it out into a deep trench where I remember seeing sculpins around 1' long. The beach has pebbles, and lots of crushed bits of shells. I doubt there would be rock or ling cod at either location, but maybe lots of surf perch, large sculpin (which I hear are amazing table fare), and possibly cabezon. They also have the correct bottoms for flounder. At wittys and possibly esquimalt there are these small 1-4" fish (shiner perch?) that could be used for bait at the breakwater or out at sea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fished the shore at Albert Head Lagoon last summer. It was more just for the kids to get some casting practice while the portable BBQ cooked up a salmon filet for a beach supper. There was a ton of bait surfacing all over but not a bite to be had. I think if you got out a little ways you'd hook into something. Unfortunately I think fishing from shore at Esquimalt would be akin to fishing Elk Lake from shore. It's pretty much a dog park.

There must be something in around there. At wittys baby sole are so abundant that larger ones must be out there somewhere.

I caught a 60lb Hali off... Lagoon BEach...

what do you mean "lagoon beach". did a quick google and it turned up nothing

If you are going to eat Cabezon I believe you need to pre-prepare them the same as you would a skate or dogfish.

If I'm correct they are also a species that pees through their skin. Not sure if it's true but that is what I heard.

I once ate a skate without prepping it and felt like mega-hurling for about 3 hours.

Ugh. Yea, I'll look into that. I think it is just the eggs that are poisous though

If you are going to eat Cabezon I believe you need to pre-prepare them the same as you would a skate or dogfish.

If I'm correct they are also a species that pees through their skin. Not sure if it's true but that is what I heard.

I once ate a skate without prepping it and felt like mega-hurling for about 3 hours.

No need to soak cabs-- good eating like a lingcod-- but the roe IS poisonous . And the spines are brutal as well.

Spines are NEVER a good thing. I have been fortunate so far, but a 1/2 lb pumpkinseed once sliced open my brother's hand. Ugly looking cut. Are all sculpins good eating?

Cuba Libre:- I've never eaten a "Cab".....I've eaten Sea Urchin (an acquired taste) and also the white meat strips off the inside of a "Sea Cucumber" which are actually quite good.

If you are gutting a Cab that has roe in it and you accidentally slice into the roe so that juices etc. spill out into the other meat, is it "All over,Rover" if you still eat it?

Ive eaten cabezon many times no problem. Don't eat the eggs though.

Searun cutthroat trout cruise the shallows around Esquimalt Lagoon. If you have a kayak, inflatable, or other small boat, the coho hang around Albert Head kelp beds in August/September

Cuba Libre:- I've never eaten a "Cab".....I've eaten Sea Urchin (an acquired taste) and also the white meat strips off the inside of a "Sea Cucumber" which are actually quite good.

If you are gutting a Cab that has roe in it and you accidentally slice into the roe so that juices etc. spill out into the other meat, is it "All over,Rover" if you still eat it?

not if you immediately rinse it off ...

Ok maybe next time I go out it will be to esquimalt to try my luck from shore.

Try the bridge... it's a bullhead fest.

on the inlet side right? big bullheads? I am not the least bit interested in anything under 6-8"

No, just started shore fishing this winter. Got the gear for christmas. Anything out there in the way of bottom fish? Really the only thing you can keep now are greenlings, surf perch, flounder, sole, sculpin, and in the odd zone, rock cod.

Which "odd zone" can you catch "Rock Cod"?

RCA's are closed year round......and as far as I know there no other "zones" that are open until DFO drops the green flag later on......

Back