Esquimalt First Nations Boat Ramp

Franko Manini

Folks,

Has anyone used the boat ramp on the Esquimalt First Nations reserve? I have heard there is a ramp on their property that dumps into Esquimalt Harbour just north of the Navy Sailing Association. Looking at Google Earth, the ramp appears to be just off Maplebank Road.

I'm wondering if it is public access, what the fee is, what the ramp is like or low tides, etc.

Thanks.

I would say good luck trying to launch there. The First Nations people prefer that you stay off their land unless you are launching with one of them. By the looks of the ramp you would need a high tide.

There are houses like right beside that ramp and I would think they would come have a chat with you or you may find your tow vehicle and trailer gone upon your return. That's all private property......I wouldn't want someone coming using a ramp on my land. Guy could make a phone call and inquire, http://www.songheesnation.ca/contact/.

Esq anglers is right around the corner and I think esq harbour is still closed to fishing anyway, not sure what would be gained using that ramp anyway.

There are houses like right beside that ramp and I would think they would come have a chat with you or you may find your tow vehicle and trailer gone upon your return. That's all private property......I wouldn't want someone coming using a ramp on my land. Guy could make a phone call and inquire, http://www.songheesnation.ca/contact/.

Esq anglers is right around the corner and I think esq harbour is still closed to fishing anyway, not sure what would be gained using that ramp anyway.
GnB,

The reason I posted this inquiry was to see if there is public access or a fee for public use. Note that both Cheanu - now Spirit Bay - and the Tsartlip ramp in Brentwood Bay are both First Nations properties and both have public access for a fee. Nowhere in the post did I suggest, even remotely, that I would use the ramp surreptitiously or without permissions. That was a stretch.

And yes, the harbour is closed for fishing but that's not the only reason to launch a boat. My boat is kept at a private dock in Esquimalt Harbour and I often dump the boat in at Esquimalt Anglers, tie it up at the dock, and bike back to Esquimalt Anglers to get the truck and trailer. I had heard that another guy in my area uses the Esquimalt Nation's ramp occasionally and it's a lot closer to cycle to on a hot day.

I will give the band administration office a call tomorrow, but they are not in the office today. I thought someone might have some insight. And lastly, it's not the Songhees band. It is the Esquimalt First Nation.

http://www.esquimaltnation.ca/index.html

I would assume that is all songhees.......but what do I know. Songhees wellness centre is like a few hundred feet from that ramp, as is the whole songees nation.....maybe their is multiple governance.....no clue but songhees calls that area home.

In the past I have used the ramp on the first nations land. Forget the fee but it was never a problem. Call the band office and ask.

Last edited:
Back