esperanza

got a shot at fishing Esperanza Inlet in either May, June or Sept.What would be best for salmon only? Would be staying at a lodge out there. Thanks for any input,Saltspringer

September would definitely be my vote. Make sure you're well prepared as the marine traffic is not near as heavy. See if you can find last year's DFO closures for an idea of what and where you might be able to fish (not that history will tell for this year.)

I bet you could do some awsesome flyfishing cohos on the outside.

Best time for Chinook is from July 18 to Aug 9. Sept is largely coho as most of the Chinook are already long gone.

quote:Originally posted by searun

Best time for Chinook is from July 18 to Aug 9. Sept is largely coho as most of the Chinook are already long gone.

Sorry, can't agree. ALL of August is good for Chinook. September can be good also, but it does tend to thin out as the September progresses.

The problem with September fishing is that the Chinook can vanish quite suddenly at this time of year. Some years, you get them right into October, other years not. It can also be pretty rainy and foggy too.

The Westview Fishing Derby this year is August 22 & 23 - what does that tell you?

I've seen the third weekend in August (when most of the tourists are gone) turn on like wildfire. It's great, tonnes of fish, no boats, definitely getting into quality experience. I haven't fished there much past the 28th but have heard great stories right into October as well....maybe this year?:)

thanks guys, it looks like early Sept. might be the answer. Is June way too early or would there be some springs coming in by then?

quote:Originally posted by saltspringer

thanks guys, it looks like early Sept. might be the answer. Is June way too early or would there be some springs coming in by then?
There are lots going by offshore. Inside is generally slow in june.

quote:Originally posted by saltspringer

June can be hit or miss out here. Mostly we are searching for fish and it can be a couple of days before finding them. Generally there are few boats out chasing fish.

Mostly, I would expect Coho, with maybe the odd Chinook. A few years ago, I had a group of 6 guys who came up from all over the USA. It was late May and I had planned on going Halibut fishing off-shore. Come the day of the charter, the seas were 4 or 5 feet off-shore and there was no way we could even get out there, never mind drift for Halibut. So we ended up fishing Rosa Harbour and the local area - two boats for 10 hours. The other guide was a local native who knew the area very well. Absolutely nothing - not a bite.

Day 2, I had 4 of the guys by myself, and went out to Nootka Sound area around Burdwood - still heavy surf on the outside. Lots of fish showing, but nothing biting.

Day 3, 2 boats again. I suggested that we fight our way out to Ferrer Pt. We did - it was a really rough crossing to get out there but it was nice and calm in the back bay. I set the gear and within about 20 minutes or so had a nice strike. The guy on the rod got the fish up nice and close - it was a Chinook, about 12 to 15 pounds. Before I could say "don't let him get close to the prop..." He did, and got cut off :( Other than about 20 undersized lingcod on day 3, that was the only fish we saw for that group.

The biggest problem here is weather - if you can get outside, you can do well, but if you are trapped inside, don't expect too much at this time of year.

Back