Boccaccio

tubber

Can someone direct me to a link or quote about non retention for Boccaccio on a DFO site?
I've become well read on the subject during my search, but can only find info about keeping one China, tiger quillback and zero yellow eye.

We trolled up a few off Esperanza.
Also it seems Yellow eye should be open for at least one per trip in some areas based on the big bycatch we found all over the place anchored or trolling.

Can someone direct me to a link or quote about non retention for Boccaccio on a DFO site?
I've become well read on the subject during my search, but can only find info about keeping one China, tiger quillback and zero yellow eye.

We trolled up a few off Esperanza.
Also it seems Yellow eye should be open for at least one per trip in some areas based on the big bycatch we found all over the place anchored or trolling.
They were completely banned, but then there was some massive spawn event and now they are just another rockfish. Caught a nice big one off Haida Gwaii this year.

Yelloweye are a special case because they take so long to get to sexual maturity and will/should never be open again.

They were completely banned, but then there was some massive spawn event and now they are just another rockfish. Caught a nice big one off Haida Gwaii this year.

Yelloweye are a special case because they take so long to get to sexual maturity and will/should never be open again.
Yes, all the baby rockfish the wcvi chinooks were eating in 2016 turned out to be Boccaccio according to one article.
But a random tweet from a few years ago saying they were closed is all I've found so far.
I'd like to see something in writing in the regs for this year.
We descended 25 yelloweye, but perhaps that should be another thread.

Boccaccio opened for retention on the North / Central Coast a few years ago, not sure about WCVI. It started with 1 daily max, but as @Tighthead mentioned they are now treated like any other rockfish and you are allowed to keep up to 3 per day.

We haven’t caught any, but from what I’ve read, they are pretty terrible table fare so would definitely be going back anyway.

can only find info about keeping one China, tiger quillback and zero yellow eye.
I checked a few areas off the west coast, and can't find any references on China, tiger, or quillback. I only found two rockfish categories; "all species" and Yelloweye. So I would assume we can keep as many bocaccio as we can other (non-yelloweye) rockfish.

As for bocaccio, I can't find any specific mention at all in DFO's regs. All I could find are reports on population status (threatened, then in more recently endangered), but these are on other department websites, by way of Googling "Bocaccio status Canada".

In a perfect world, DFO would have a whole separate page on endangered fish species. Our country is too big for only one department to handle our many different fisheries. Each province should have its own fisheries management department, for both freshwater and saltwater. It is my understanding that, in the U.S. it's set up like that, with each state governing all its fisheries., FW & SW.

I checked a few areas off the west coast, and can't find any references on China, tiger, or quillback. I only found two rockfish categories; "all species" and Yelloweye. So I would assume we can keep as many bocaccio as we can other (non-yelloweye) rockfish.

As for bocaccio, I can't find any specific mention at all in DFO's regs. All I could find are reports on population status (threatened, then in more recently endangered), but these are on other department websites, by way of Googling "Bocaccio status Canada".

In a perfect world, DFO would have a whole separate page on endangered fish species. Our country is too big for only one department to handle our many different fisheries. Each province should have its own fisheries management department, for both freshwater and saltwater. It is my understanding that, in the U.S. it's set up like that, with each state governing all its fisheries., FW & SW.
Every area that allows 3 daily rockfish has this down in the restrictions "3 Daily limit of 3 Rockfish per day, of which only 1 may be a China Rockfish or a Tiger Rockfish or a Quillback Rockfish."

All derived from: https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=277544&ID=all

Which fully answers the original bocaccio question.

WELL tell DFO that and honestly see where that gets you ... Just like all the restrictions its not anbout conservation its all politics and giving everything to the natives .. no way to sugar coat it . Trust me I agree with you but now white man is a minority because of the person in power...he has to go!!

Prior to last year, Boccaccio was considered endangered and non retention. In the 2022/2023 fishing license, it stated we are allowed one Boccaccio in addition to regular limits of rock fish. That was removed from the 2023/24 license. I know we are responsible for knowing the regulations before going out fishing but who can really follow it when it is constantly changing. So frustrating.

Prior to last year, Boccaccio was considered endangered and non retention. In the 2022/2023 fishing license, it stated we are allowed one Boccaccio in addition to regular limits of rock fish. That was removed from the 2023/24 license. I know we are responsible for knowing the regulations before going out fishing but who can really follow it when it is constantly changing. So frustrating.
I was pretty sure I had read of the change at some point, but then couldn't find it on the app and had no cell service this year.
I got shamed by a local at the dock and the fish fell overboard. It was embarrassing to be caught cheating then embarrassing to waste fish, when I was right all along.
Lesson learned about retaining unless 100% sure, but I know I am more well read about dfo stuff than most. Should have stood my ground or descended at sea.

Back