EPIRB Service and Registration in Canada

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hey Guy's

Now that I completed my ROC-M I have some questions related to EPIRB.

My boat came with one installed and now that I am planning on going Tuna fishing I would like to try and get it activated.

First off it looks like my Battery has expired, anybody know where I can have an EPIRB serviced and checked over?

Second Question how do I register it in Canada? It was registered in the USA by the previous owner but he mentioned that he de-registered when I bought the boat.

Depending on the brand check where the nearest local distributor/supplier is and they can probably get you a new battery for it. Not sure if you can register a USA one in Canada. When I bought my two they specifically say for Canadian registration on them. I've got the auto and manual deployable larger one attached to my fish deck and I have a smaller personal beacon on my life jacket. I really like having the smaller one attached to my life jacket. I fish off shore a fair bit in some rough conditions at times and that smaller one always on me gives me a lot of peace of mind.

I have read that people that have bought them on the USA Amazon have had to return them due to them not having Canadian registration #'s but not sure if that's completely true or not. You should phone the Canadian Beacon Registration Office to ask them directly. Link to the government site: https://www.cbr-rcb.ca/cbr/presentation/other_autre/index.php If you can get it registered here you can do a test signal send after it's set up to see if the Epirb is working properly. There's instructions on the site on how to set them up and how to add emergency contacts, boat description, etc to your EPIRB/Beacon account.

i would just buy a new unit. the cost of refurbing the battery etc is around 80% of what a new unit cost last i checked so i just buy a new one every 5 years.
if you must refurb it then take it to :
Canada West Avionics Ltd
Unit 3
7630 Montreal Street
Delta
British Columbia
V4K 0A7
CANADA
604-409-8182
They do the reprogramming as well but like i said its usually not worth it.

you should register the MMSI on your VHF if you havent done so already.

i have an auto inflate life raft and generally keep a mustang MS-195HX flotation suit on hand in addition to the fixed + handheld VHF and EPIRB. if you can stay alive for 2-3 days with a working EPIRB you should have a good shot at survival.

Tried to get my ACR Epirb battery replaced 2 years ago. Not worth it. Cost was redic. Mines past it date but it’s still working. I tested a few months ago. They last long after the expiration date. Not sure but I don’t think US Epirbs can be re-registered in Canada. Whenever you order they seem to indicate the country u live in.

Back