End for ending vs. buying new line?

Answer to question on pound test for the Suffix 832, I go with 50 pound test and then 40 pound test floro for the tag line between flasher and my braid...as mentioned a little more initial outlay up front, but way cheaper in the long run because you will get multiple seasons out of the 832 (change floro one - two times per season). The other benefit of braid is no stretch, so you can feel every move the fish makes plus fishing deep it is easier to set the hook. No point messing with mono now that we have a super braid that reels on and off the spool like mono.

Amen brotha. I'm totally down with your concept/system.

Forgot to ask, where are you getting the UV knot stuff. That really sounds great for smoothing out the line transition.

Forgot to ask, where are you getting the UV knot stuff. That really sounds great for smoothing out the line transition.

There is also a couple different knots. Al bright or slim beauty or GT knot that would smooth out the line transition...

There are a few things that will effect your line life I found if you leave your rods in the boat exposed to the elements / UV rays it tends to break down much quicker. If you store your rods away from the sun and elements it will last quite a while. If your fishing on the bottom it's always a good idea to trim some line off and inspect the first 30 feet of line as all it takes is one little nick to compromise the strength. One other killer is if your swivels aren't working properly it's definitely hard on the line. As far as braided love it on the downrigger but just can't get used to it, put it on once did one trip and took it off was not happy with the overall performance. Kind of a creature of habit always used mono so that all I like. Braided is also very hard on the eyes on your rod. I use 40lb on my rigger rods had to many guests when using 30lb have a tenancy to jamb the reel when a big fish gets beside the boat and the fish isn't done yet and snapped the line. Since 40lb on the spool & 60lb leader it's very rare to happen and when you hook a big hali of ling it they put on a good fight there teeth don't cut the line. Catch performance wise there is no difference noticed going to heavier line. I know with an experienced angler running light rods, reels, line and gear is a blast but it takes experience and finesse and depending on what your after it doesn't hurt to go a little heavier unless your reel limits you because of a small spool. This is only for mooching and non casting star drags, for casting heavy line does kill your cast distance so that's a whole other thing.

Ebay and and you can also find some 4$ uv lights on ebay which you need to cure the product.

Tx for the advice.
Your welcome

yes direct sunlight does have plenty of uv light to set the product off and you may chose to not purchase the uv light but it would be like using resin all the time when you only have catalyst some of the time or using 1 part of two part epoxy on cloudy days. Or never using the stuff at night or indoors or most of the winter. Or finding some shade to apply the stuff and getting it just how you want it then moving into the sun to set it.
I think I am saying that it is a good idea to get the light for 4 $. Dang! If I had said nothing I'd a saved 2cents. Lol

Aqaseal works just the same as the said uv stuff and is tuff stuff yet supple so wont ruin the guides.

Your welcome

yes direct sunlight does have plenty of uv light to set the product off and you may chose to not purchase the uv light but it would be like using resin all the time when you only have catalyst some of the time or using 1 part of two part epoxy on cloudy days. Or never using the stuff at night or indoors or most of the winter. Or finding some shade to apply the stuff and getting it just how you want it then moving into the sun to set it.
I think I am saying that it is a good idea to get the light for 4 $. Dang! If I had said nothing I'd a saved 2cents. Lol

Makes perfect sense. I use this knot; it goes through the guides nicely on my 50lb spectra ling cod spinning rod. Haven't tried braid for trolling yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N0mCf0AIAA

That knot looks great,tubber.Not very many knots can boast 100% knot strength. I'll be trying that one out when I
convert to braid/flouro top shot on my salmon moochers!

Been saying for years What ukie says and Rockfish say fishing line is the LEAST of expense thing to be cheap on ....
just remeebr when you do hook that monster and it sanps you off cause you thought you would get 2 years out of it in the back of your mind your going to wonder...(damn should have changed it) in the begging of the season and late aug I see so many fish dragging flashers around in sooke.

Main reason I personally change it 2 times in the summer is there is so many underwater KELP, jellyfish,wood etc that always hangs up on it in the downrigger, last thing I want is a small Knick I dont feel or see I always have my fingers on the line when I reel up and check gear any abrasion i feel the line is gone...

wolf

With braided line, I fill my spool, with almost twice what it would be with mono, say 600 yards, instead of 300. I use a monofiliment leader of about 20 yards, and replace it when ever the leader length gets to where I can no longer clip the downrigger to it, discarding about 2-3 yards of braid as well. After two seasons, I reverse the line, and fish it for two more seasons.
With monofiliment line, I use about 200+ yards of my old braid as backing, and the rest is mono, about 250 - 300 yards, if fishing hard, I might reverse once during the season, but I replace the mono every year.

X2 on that. It is cost efficient and will outlast any mono out there. I was in the states at a Kmart and picked up 2 spools of 30lb power pro for 30 bucks. They were on clearance. I would not buy mono on clearance.

Looks like I will respool with 30lb berkley big game. Picked up two spools while i was in the states this week, 1800yds a spool for $30.

Back