Emerging Issues for SVI Chinook Regulations

Gotcha, that makes sense. They are only processing programs that they have established funding for. I might be overstating the cost, but think Wilf said it was around $20/sample. That cost is apparently coming down with newer technology if I recall the conversation correctly.

They have funding in place this season to process the samples. Considering some of the issues we are facing, we are looking for guides in Sooke/Rennie areas to participate in DNA sampling. Talking at moment with SFI and DFO to see what we can arrange to make sampling easier.

Please PM if you are interested.

Funny you say DFO HAS FUNDING for sample tests , I have a reply from WILF today stating our club ESQUIMALT ANGLERS would have to come up with the funds , we plan in doing as many Victoria waterfront Chinook as we can provide this coming summer , as last year we had 12 sent to port ALBERNI and 1 was a nitinat stock , which was great as we have been releasing 60,000 to 100,000 in esquimalt harbour every yr from helping taking brood every October In which they supply us with eggs in turn raised in Goldstream hatchery, oh we can manage 100 heads they can tell us exactly how much of that stock is out there each summer , they are sending down some kits to get us started , so will see how it goes , cheers Gary

The DNA funding that is available to DFO isn't intended to manage those stocks. Basically your fish are intended as a put and take fish program to augment local fishing opportunity if I understand your situation correctly.

They are interested in WCVI mixed stock migration, which would be used to make management decisions linked back to the international treaty negotiations taking place in 2017. So that is where the funding comes from, and why your program would not be funded.

All the big FN boats were in lower Fraser yesterday. My buddy was sturge fishing around Seabird island and set drift nets everywhere. The drift sets at seabird were averaging 8 to 15 springs per set. 3 boats non stop drifting most of the day in that area alone.

All the big FN boats were in lower Fraser yesterday. My buddy was sturge fishing around Seabird island and set drift nets everywhere. The drift sets at seabird were averaging 8 to 15 springs per set. 3 boats non stop drifting most of the day in that area alone.

Nope didn't happen, your buddy was just imagining it, they would never do that, conservation first, protect the land and sea next, and only 250 caught so far in the fn fishery:rolleyes: Me thinks someone needs to go back to school and take a math course for a more accurate count!

DFO is making the commies do a head recovery program from troll caught Chinooks and cohos this season. They would like 30% of the boats to participate in the program
It was posted today.

There are 2 DNA data collection projects underway. The Ardent Angler Program is one, and an excellent way for concerned anglers to help collect the DNA samples and catch log data. The SFAB has fully supported this program. The other is a DNA sampling program on WCVI being run voluntarily by some guides who are participating through the WCFGA.

Sadly, not enough participation frankly, which is placing the rec fishery under increasing scrutiny in fisheries such as SVI and WCVI when we negotiate international treaties and address conservation issues raised by other fishing communities. DFO needs more rec anglers and guides to step up and participate in the sampling program.

Bottom line, we need data to resolve issues such as this one or risk an ultra conservative decision process due to lack of solid data to support different decision outcomes in future.

As for seals taking fish from the test nets, I have personally observed the test fishery and not seen seals working the nets - I suspect mainly because the net is set and worked by the crew so the seals won't get a lot of opportunity to work the nets. Maybe it was just the day I happened to be observing, but there were not a lot of seals either, so my experience may not be typical of the spring chinook situation.

You've nailed it here Searun. Unless and until those who are on the water the most start providing more and better data we will always be stuck in a precautionary, risk averse situation. The time for assuming that data will always be used against us is long gone. Good data can help us prosecute our fishery in a responsible manner, and at times produces increased level of opportunity. Bad data and small sample sizes will always be used against us.

The WCVI corridor and the fact the Southern SoG is currently open to retention of large chinook are two great examples of how large sample sizes help keep fisheries open. WCVI chinook were proven to migrate within one nm of shore by CWT data. Thats how the corridor concept saved the day way back in the late 90's. Imagine where you'd be if the offshore areas along WCVI were also closed due to potential WCVI wild interception and you were forced to fish inside the terminal areas and only as predicted abundance allowed? That is what would have happened if CWT data wasn't there to provide a solution.

DNA data provided by the Avid Angler program has demonstrated that the prevalence of the dreaded Fraser 5.2's is actually very low in the Southern SoG during the spring. That is why that area is currently open. Its based on a few recent years of good sample sizes of data which provides the degree of certainty DFO needs to pass the red face test with other sectors. Juan de Fuca doesn't have the same level of stock composition data. Part of the controversy this year is that the stock composition estimate in June & July that caused the problem is based on very small DNA sample sizes collected by creel surveyors last year. Bad data = uncertainty = controversy when decisions are made. The point is that the uncertainty created by lack of good data will not work in our favour ever again.

We all need to step up to the plate and get with the program. Refusing to do so implies we have something to hide. Submit those heads! Collect DNA! Its the future we all need to embrace IMO.

CP

You raise some excellent points Cut Plug. We need more current and relevant data to make better management decisions - just plain old common sense. BUT, we need to be careful who collects that data and the purpose and intent on how they use and interpret the data.

The SVI Fraser 5-2 "management" issues are a classic example of what happens when there is little or no, current and accruate data to use. DFO has no longer has any hatcheries on the upper Fraser where these fish come from - so no coded wire tags of these endangered Chinook runs!

So what does DFO do? They use data that is 10 plus years old, etc. that they extrapolate and extrapolate until the validity is compromised. Now they are thinking of using data from Chinook streams in Wash. State that they say are comparable!

In the absence of current, reliable, relevant and accurate data, DFO will use whatever they can get to justify their "management" decisions. The poorer the quality of the data, the less relevant and more misguided the management decisions and resulting policies and regulations are. My 2 bits.

I'm expecting zone 1 restrictions until end of July.
anything better would be a bonus.

I dont like this. Maybe someone with more knowledge on albion can comment. But to me this looks very bad from our perspective when you compare with historical data. Although old catch data started in April last year. I am not sure how that skews the data.

Attachments

• albion.JPG
    albion.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Category(s):
ABORIGINAL - General Information,
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net,
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Troll,
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0523-Fraser River Spring 5(2) and Summer 5(2) Chinook - June 14, 2016 Final In-season Abundance Update

In 2016, the Department has identified concerns associated with expected poor
returns of Fraser River Spring 5(2) and Summer 5(2) chinook. Management of
these stocks is based on an in-season assessment of returns using the
cumulative catch per unit effort (CPUE) of chinook caught at the Albion Test
Fishery. A three zone management approach is used to identify management
actions.

The Department initiated the 2016 season with management actions based on the
lowest management zone (zone 1) given uncertainties in expected marine survival
rate, and recent years of poor returns for these stock aggregates.

The model developed to predict the return of Fraser River Spring 5(2) and
Summer 5(2) chinook uses data from the standard chinook net fished by the
Albion Test fishery and does not incorporate catch from the multi-panel net
(which is currently fished on alternate days). The standard chinook net is an 8
inch (approx. 20 cm) mesh. Catch and effort data are cumulated by week,
starting the first full week in May, to provide the input to the model.

In 2016, the Albion chinook test fishery began operating on April 24. The
total catch for the period of this update (May 1 to June 11) was seventeen (17)
chinook, six (6) of which were caught in the standard (8 inch) net. Based on
this input to the model, the current predicted return to the mouth of the
Fraser for the Spring and Summer 5(2) chinook aggregates is approximately
43,000 fish. This predicted return is consistent with management zone 1 where
returns to the Fraser River are below 45 thousand chinook and conservation
concerns for Fraser chinook are the primary management consideration.

This is final in-season update.

The Department is currently reviewing fishery management actions for specific
areas and these will be confirmed by separate fishery notices.

FOR MORE INFORMATION: Kelly Binning (604) 666-3935

From May 13 to June 13.. 21 chinook through Albion. I don't know what that means for area 19-20 ??

So was there 17 or 21 Chinook netted at Albion? If 21, where'd the extra 4 fish go? Why are they not now being counted? Why are there conflicting numbers? Would 21 have put us into Zone 2? Something 'fishy' going on here me thinks!

Last edited:
In between. Some heavy FN below the albion but most of the impact comes from the mouth of the vedder to yale.

The area the albion nets is very heavily influenced by tides. If the sets are made when the fish aint moving through the area with the tide. The results are apparent

Back