Emerging Issues for SVI Chinook Regulations

He is a fkn idiot, but dead chinook like this are happening by the bundle every day amd night on the Fraser. Be mad at regulation that has nothing to do with conservation and everything to do.with FN netting to extinction...

I don't understand how we can allow drift and set nets on the river...Even worse if some of the catch is being sold for profit.

Pretty brutal.

I would like to think that most sport fisherman have the long term health of the stocks in mind and are prepared to do their part.

I'm fully supportive of lower limits, slot limits, hatchery only, etc. when necessary but if all it means is a re-allocation of the catch, then what is the point?

I am also in favour of requiring released fish to be kept in the water.

I guess I'm at the point where I care more about having fish for tomorrow.

I say NO to giving in to this BS, we need to form alliances with the rec. sector along the Fraser and work together for restoring chinook stocks and better allocation and long term management. Giving up/in is not the answer!

Well I can tell you one thing all this has done is KILLED the sportfishing in the area 19/20 waters ive been keeping track of boats i see and man numbers are WAAAYYYY down yesterday i decided to stay close to home as i had a lil guy on board so fished possession i had the place all to myself i was the ONLY boat there looking towards trap maybe 8 so I dont know HOW we are catching all their fish and I see the fishery plane all the time now but ID love to see those number because they count EVERY boat be it sailboat,commercial ,a log, piece of Styrofoam etc its tragic how few boats are out... just want to thank DFO for creating such a **** storm here is an idea tell, PUT your foot down and tell them to learn how to share.....

Finally some promising looking numbers in the Albion test: 22 chinook on the 5th and another 10 yesterday. That's more than 1/4 of all the fish caught to date in the last 2-days. Just two days so could be an anomaly rather than an upward trend but promising nonetheless.

Cheers! Ukee

More humour for you Whitebuck ... another 10 chinook in the Albion test this morning. 50 chinook in the Albion Test sets in the last 4 days. Given that there have been less than 140 sampled since the beginning of the sets, this is the first sign of some abundance that, if it continues to build, could trigger a mgmt zone shift. Though from the sounds of it, that may just trigger the issue of FN wanting an even higher allocation, at the expense of sport fishery allocation on these stocks, given the forecast absence of sockeye fisheries this year.

Cheers!

Ukee

At least that is somewhat promising, I believe the Chinook are traveling offshore routes this year
and sportie's may not get a crack at them.

Got lube?????
so even if they say ok lift it .... the damage has been done FN gets more and more and we get zip .....Whats the amount the FN has taken now??
and ill bet you the nets will be out when the sox make there way back as well, mostly at night under darkness im sure....

Sweet, after 3 and a half months of ****** sets we get a couple of average days for this time of year. All is well on the Fraser now. Don't worry that little bump of abundance won't make it past Yale. With how slow it has been up and down the coast it paints a pretty good picture of what happens when the Fraser stock ain't there. Years of unchecked netting is finally starting to show. Hopefully it's not too late.

Average returns, if that is what the past few days is building towards, could mean a different management zone, which may have benefits for rec anglers both in marine approach areas and in-river. The FN river fishery is what it is and ultimately DFO will have to answer for their management actions if escapement goals aren't met (at least our sector should be paying attention and holding them accountable!). Though I suppose whining about it on the internet is easier … (not directed at anyone in particular as I do more than my fair share of whining … just look up old halibut mgmt threads!! LOL)

Personally, as far as escapement goes, I'm a lot more concerned about DFO's complete lack of engagement and support of the province's drought management response and the fate of the fish that do make it to the spawning tribs than how many make it given the fishing pressure thus far. It baffles me why our sector would accept any restrictions from DFO unless they can show that they are fulfilling their full mandate, which includes habitat protection and restricting works, undertakings or activities - which would include water withdrawals, that may harm fish. If DFO isn't holding up their end of the bargain, i.e ensuring the fish that do pass have the best chance of survival and reproducing, why should the rec sector bear the burden of conservation?!!

Cheers!

Ukee

Well, that certainly clarifies your level of understanding in regard to the Fraser river chinook runs, Whitebuck. But you're entitled to your opinion.

Cheers!

Ukee

Ukee, how many days a year do spend on tbe Fraser and tribs each year? We are on the fraser daily and see what happens...
Why protect spawning grounds when everything is netted before it gets there???

Last edited:
My views that we should be responsibly managing chinook stocks based on facts instead of gut reaction, and that responsible management means managing their habitat and in particular water for the weak interior fraser stocks which all go to agriculturally intense areas of the province is going to do that? Wow, who woulda thought that?

In one form of recreation or another I could honestly say I am on or beside a Fraser trib more than half the days in each year. In a context related to observations pertinent to the fishery resource conservatively 50 in low years and upwards of 100 on active years. To make an outlandish statement like no chinook making it back to their tribs, Whitebuck, how many days a year do you spend on Fraser spawning tribs? How many dead Interior fraser chinook and coho and thompson steelhead juveniles have you seen in irrigation ditches? How many times have you walked the banks of the South Thompson without being able to go 2-yards between spawned out chinook carcasses? Or on the Adams for that matter? Do you get out on Spius, or the Coldwater or Nicola or Guichon regularly? How about Maka or Duteau or Creighton? Up to the Quesnel and Horsefly or other Cariboo rivers? Nechacko or Chilko? Fishing the lower Fraser doesn't make one an expert on the management of Fraser salmon stocks.

Cheers!

Ukee

Back