Electrical question

persistent

Hey Guys,

I’m doing a mini refit on my 20ft Hourston and have come across some electrical questions...

Can the main and kicker ground terminate on a negative bus bar, or should they terminate directly on the batteries?

I think I’m going to include a separate buss bar specifically for bonding,which brings me to the next question. Should the aluminum pod be bonded or are the negative battery cables from the engines sufficient?

thanks in advance

They should go direct to the batteries. Less connections is best especially around salt water. My pod has a zinc bar welded to a couple of mounting tabs on the bottom side...I use one of the pod thru transom mounting bolts to bond it and all other water touching metal to it. I had a smaller bolt welded to the pod mounting bold head. So welded back to back...I use ring wire end connectors to the smaller bolt and finish it off with a lock washer and nut to hold all the wires on tight.

They should go direct to the batteries. Less connections is best especially around salt water. My pod has a zinc bar welded to a couple of mounting tabs on the bottom side...I use one of the pod thru transom mounting bolts to bond it and all other water touching metal to it. I had a smaller bolt welded to the pod mounting bold head. So welded back to back...I use ring wire end connectors to the smaller bolt and finish it off with a lock washer and nut to hold all the wires on tight.
Thanks for providing some clarity on that. My pod has no zinc, maybe I’ll get a mount welded on for that and another mount for a transducer at the same time.

Go to batteries unless... there are more than 3 terminations on a single post. If need be to go to a distribution block, 2 awg wire will do just fine. From battery to block.

Some custom installations need this also, just based on wire length and cleanliness of installation.

Coat all connections at the stern in fluid film.

Go to batteries unless... there are more than 3 terminations on a single post
Can't see many boats having less than 3 connections, so bus bar is usually needed. If you are after perfection, place the grounds from your electronics on a stud furtherest from the battery/engine connections to reduce common mode noise. Furuno says to put any shielded cable grounds on a separate thru-bolt thru the hull into the water, otherwise all electrical/binding grounds go on the battery/busbar.

It's really only when a proper survey is involved. Insurance purposes really. Transport canada says no more than 3 on a single post or termination point.

It's really only when a proper survey is involved. Insurance purposes really. Transport canada says no more than 3 on a single post or termination point.
My experience wiring to a busbar with heavy gauge wire is that the part of the lug where the wire goes into is so large in diameter that the lugs need to be staggered 90 degrees or more meaning that more than 3 will not physically fit.

You just need a proper busbar. I end up making my own a lot of the time. However blue seas makes one with 3/8 studs and another one with 5/16 studs.

blue seas part numbers

2104 3/8 stud x 4

2126 5/16 studs x 6

Back