Electrical issue

TGofers

I plugged in my trickle charger and was charging my batteries, charged on one battery and had the switch turned to all. Had them charging for a couple of weeks. Charger is one that self shuts off. Anyways could not get the motor to turn. Figured need new batteries anyways so went to Edmunds in Langley and got a smokin deal on two new ones, one cranking and one DC. Installed today and nothing. Not even my interior lights go on or my gauges nothing. Everything is completely dead. So...thinking the charger may have fried the system. Where do I start trouble shooting. I don't think it's my starter cause the lights won't even go on but my positive cable is hooked up to the starter iso could it be the starter or should my lights still go on? I have a tester and when the cables are all hooked up the tester lights up but nothing in the boat works.

I don't like the sound of this! I assume you have a 1&2 and both type switch-not an ACR? With a meter check you have power into the switch and just about the same on the other side depending on where you have it selected. They are notorious for failing. Try this first-let us know!

sounds like your switch is not allowing power to the common. I would check for voltage at the starter with your switch in the all position and go from there.

sounds like your switch is not allowing power to the common. I would check for voltage at the starter with your switch in the all position and go from there.

....start down stream at the switch like spring fever said...do the easy stuff first...

check resistance thru your wires power and ground...look for poor/corroded connections or a bad ground...

my 2 cents

Last edited by a moderator:
....start down stream at the switch like spring fever said...do the easy stuff first...

check resistance thru your wires power and ground...look for poor/corroded connections or a bad ground...

my 2 cents

so removing the battery switch to check for voltage is easier than just checking for 12v at the starter? Hmm, must be the new way of doing things. I don't even know why I bother posting solutions

I don't know what you have for an engine but if it's a merc inboard check for a blown main fuse on the main starter stud.

Back