Electrical Gremlin - Striper

Onchy

Hi all,

Anyone here familiar with the wiring on stripers? Lately it the front dash (12V instruments) has been delayed in powering up. Usually 10 minutes or so after I turn the outboard on. Yesterday I got no power to the dash at all. I cant find a wiring diagram anywhere, but have confirmed power over the battery switch, circuit breakers and under the dash as the tach etc have no issues.
Going to load test the battery on a whim that the house battery is weak (I have two batteries - one for the house and 1 for the verado) but am hoping I might be missing something basic - learning the whole boat wiring thing on the fly. Any ideas?

Sounds like a weak battery if it powers up after it charges a bit. Isn’t the Verado a bit of a power pig with the power steering pump? Not up on my Merc stuff?

As mentioned above, sounds like the house battery is toast. After charging, it take 24 or so hours to get an accurate stable measurement of battery voltage, which SHOULD be close to 12.7 volts or so. The lower the voltage, the more toasted the battery. You could also have a parasitic drain on the house battery; it's gets charged to the proper voltage while on your outing, but between the outing & your next outing the parasitic drain depletes the battery.
Do you have a land charger in use?

Thanks everyone, went back with a clear head this morning. Battery checked out ok, turns out I missed a turn tracing the wiring. Found a loose 40 amp fuse on the main power feed to the dash. Up and running properly now. Annoying/slightly embarrassing but chalk it up to a learning experience haha

Thanks everyone, went back with a clear head this morning. Battery checked out ok, turns out I missed a turn tracing the wiring. Found a loose 40 amp fuse on the main power feed to the dash. Up and running properly now. Annoying/slightly embarrassing but chalk it up to a learning experience haha
welcome to wtf club. we have all been there. glad problem solved. some pretty smart people on site. enjoy

Hi all,

Anyone here familiar with the wiring on stripers? Lately it the front dash (12V instruments) has been delayed in powering up. Usually 10 minutes or so after I turn the outboard on. Yesterday I got no power to the dash at all. I cant find a wiring diagram anywhere, but have confirmed power over the battery switch, circuit breakers and under the dash as the tach etc have no issues.
Going to load test the battery on a whim that the house battery is weak (I have two batteries - one for the house and 1 for the verado) but am hoping I might be missing something basic - learning the whole boat wiring thing on the fly. Any ideas?
Call Jordan at JC Marine Electrical.
He’s mobile and does great work.
250-927-5892

Back