Electric Scotties

chris73

Just came back from my first fishing trip in about 6 weeks - Sooke area. Tried for winter springs with little success. But what I noticed and what annoyed me today was that the wire of my downriggers wouldn't run freely off the spool. To get down to the fishing depth of 140 - 180' I really needed to strip the wire off. It would then slowly run for about 10' and then I needed to pull again. Took forever to reach the depth. The weird thing was that both downriggers were like that. I have been fishing with these e-scotties for at least 2.5 years now and never experienced this problem before. Need for lubrictation? Anybody had that happening before? Any solutions?

Happens to me all the time too...not sure why, but i'd imagine that it has something to do with the fact you are so deep and less resistance on the ball itself??? It makes sense in my head...but not really how i just explained it.

If your drags really tight on the reels or if your stacking that might be it. When i have a 10 lb ball for example and stack two rods with 5lbs of resistance on the reels then the rods are holding the cannonball up. It will do exactly what you described so i ushually just lighten the drag. Might be it?

I was using 10 lbs balls as usual. As I said, I never had this happening before with the same gear. Might be the colder weather but then again I fished the last two winters with these downriggers too. I am not stacking rods - only one rod per rigger. And I had my reels set very loose. And it did not stick only the last few feet it wouldn't run off right from top. Yo mama, any way to loosen the brakes a bit?

Mine did that today, but after letting it down once and then bring it back up, it was fine. How long since the last time you used them? Maybe has something to do with then seizing up from lack of use

Mine were sticky all day long. But maybe I should open them up and WD-40 the sh... out of them....

Another problem may be if the wire line wrapped around the downrigger spool gets uneven (stacked in on the lower side), particularly if not fished deep in a while, the wire line can wrap over itself and does not come off the spool very well and requires more tension to pull it off. You need to pull all the wire line off the spool and rewind it back on evenly.

If you adjust the clutch brake don't loosen it up too much. Having them dr not stopping on the way down is not much fun either[:0]
vic

i had one of mine do the same thing, took it in for service
2 weeks later , no go.
went to a 12 lb ball on that one and now it's fine.

I've had that happen to me as well. It means your not fishing enough.:D
All kidding aside, it seemed to happen after the riggers sit for a while. Just backoff the main center nut a fraction (be very careful not to turn it too much, just a hair) and keep testing it until its just right again.

If the 9/16 nut doesn't work, maby your belt is riding up on the main spool. The new scotty's have fixed this problem by changing out the old spool tensioner and putting in one that has a lip on the top side of the tensioner. You do not have to buy a new one though, you can take the old tensioner apart, clean the pin, and flip the plastic spool. The older models had the lip, but it was on the bottom of the spool. Also check to make sure that you boom pully is not sticky or really grooved. Good luck:)

its probably your pulley is not working freely. Theres really no way to fix it other than replacing it(your pulleys). Is happens alot and I finally figured it our two years ago. Ive taken them apart, cleaned them, oiled them etc.. they work finr after that but only for a short time, they just wear out. Replace them and youll be fine.

Why use 10# balls when you've got electric downriggers? Since you don't have to crank them up by hand, put 15's on them. Besides probably paying out better, the number on the counter will be closer to your actual depth (I hate having to guess how deep my lines really are).

Whatever you do, don't put WD40 on anything. IMO, the only reason anyone needs to use WD40 is to soften up the mess left behind by their last use of the product. It is</u> good for removing the sticky stuff left behind by labels, though...

I have tried 12 lbs balls before and I find that they put too much stress on the system: wire snaps easier when a bt nicked, and the way I mounted my riggers they do flex the mounting surfaces too much with heavier balls. By the way, even fishing deep the angle of the wire does not continue far underwater. I read this first in one of the Charlie White books and soon found out myself that I hit bottom within 5 feet of my counter display - even if the wire angle is wide...It is only the surface friction that bends the wire - little further down the wire will run almost vertically (at reasonable speeds of course).

I run 12's minium, all season long. Sometimes with full boom extension, and I got the long ones! I even run 15's sometimes offshore. I can pretty much tell you youre probs with your pulleys. Youll know for sure when your downriggers "act up", check if your pulley's turning when it seems slow (going up or down). Youll have to look closely at it because of the large guard around it. Im sure yours wont be turning. and you can take that to the bank!
Oh yea, definately no lube on these units. Bodie hit the nail on the head.

I ran 15 lbers last season stripped 2 belts lost 2 cannonballs!Changed to 12 lbers this season and stripped no belts and lost no cannonballs.Made no differance to the fish either!!
kronic

Back