Effect Of Changing Hook Size On Lures...

Seafever

This video shows some effects......

(This is a Great lakes video....so on some excuse the trebles...)

[SW-16XhLeSI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW-16XhLeSI

i change out most hooks on most spoons , as im sure alot of you all do , bot NOT all
yes this could affect the way the spoon was designed to perform ,
BUT , is the "off the shelf " action always best ? hmmm
ive found not every spoon is identical to another , regardless , close most times , but....
as not every plug fishes perfect out of the package... manufacture blemishes i guess i will call it
i tweek most spoons i put down , give it more of a " S " like shape , really gives it a more eratic action ,just a hint in most cases
and it WORKS , so .... the hook size and weight is irrelevant in my books , most manufacture hooks are cheap and fairly light ,
i use various stainless siwash hooks , significantly heavier , when not tweaked , they look flat , boring in the water , give a few slight
bends on either end , watch them come alive

m2b

hope that helps

fd

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some lures that pretty much require a change of hook, at least to use them more than once that is. Example would be the Coho Killer spoons. Unless you re-rig them with a swivel between the spoon and the hook, they will break in half after one or two fish of any decent size. Once you do though, you have to put a slightly sharper bend in the spoon because it throws off the natural rotation of the original lure...

Oh great... More stuff to tweak and adjust to make my OCD-side happy when I am out there and not catching anything. Don't have enough hours in a day to make all these little gear modifications :)

Still... When it comes down to it, I am a firm believer that the guy with the most fish usually is the guy spends the most time out with the lines in the water, unless they absolutely don't have a clue what they are doing!

Still... When it comes down to it, I am a firm believer that the guy with the most fish usually is the guy spends the most time out with the lines in the water, unless they absolutely don't have a clue what they are doing!

is that a challenge :)
beein an azz lol

pretty sure its more about where your pullin your gear ,
and what and how ur pullin it ,
i get my but kicked out there often by some pretty good fisherman right beside me
just sayun

fd

Last edited by a moderator:
Back