Easter Weekend So Far...

Karma-Kazi

So friday morning my buddy Mike and I decided to take off up island to see our buddy Kyle who is camped at Lizard Lake. We load to boat in the truck grab the fly rods and head out the door 6am.

Here is a shot of what it looked like climbing the Malahat.
QuamampLizzardLakeMar29th2013003_zps8f060bd2.jpg

Then we made a pit stop at a little spot i know. Here is mike getting his gear set up and the sunrise again.
QuamampLizzardLakeMar29th2013004_zps17ef57d1.jpg

This is what we saw on our first pass. Liquid Mercury!
QuamampLizzardLakeMar29th2013008_zps01c3c83f.jpg

Here is a shot of my RS4 in action.
QuamampLizzardLakeMar29th2013011_zps2a329a2c.jpg

Finally Mike connected with a nice bow!
QuamampLizzardLakeMar29th2013036_zpsfa135063.jpg

QuamampLizzardLakeMar29th2013032_zpse1246cff.jpg

Here is Mike holding my first bow of the day!
QuamampLizzardLakeMar29th2013015_zpsd6baa767.jpg

Mikes second bow of the morning
QuamampLizzardLakeMar29th2013021_zpsc3086267.jpg

Here is a wicked shot of Mike releasing my second bow of the morning.
QuamampLizzardLakeMar29th2013037_zpse45c4d7d.jpg

And off to out next destination. Lizard Lake. Not without first stopping in at Cowichan fly and tackle where Mike would pick up a new 9' 5wt Amundson fly rod. Pretty sweet rod for 79 bones.

Here is Mikes new rod in action as we trolled out into the middle of Lizard lake.
QuamampLizzardLakeMar29th2013053_zps01fb750a.jpg

I decided to use Dads 4wt set up at Lizard for a little more fun. Here is a shot of that one in action aswell.
QuamampLizzardLakeMar29th2013055_zps1802c24f.jpg

Here is a couple of release shots of the first bow from lizard.
QuamampLizzardLakeMar29th2013048_zps440db696.jpg

QuamampLizzardLakeMar29th2013049_zps6038f5ac.jpg

The action got pretty crazy.And the camera became forgotten as the numerous double headers had us dizzy.

Today We woke up and Dad and I decided to head up Island and see what we could find. Stopped in at a nice spot and he nailed this one on a dark olive stickle back pattern! What a nice cutty. To bad about the slashes from an eagle or somthing. But he looked like he would be just fine.
QuamMar30th2013009_zpsdca34d28.jpg

We ended up getting into 6 fish all in the 18-22" range 3 cuttys and 3 bows. The wind came up and made camera work difficult so we put it away and enjoyed the day together. I sure hope all of you are having as awsome of an Easter weekend as I am!

Cheers and Happy Easter good friends!

-KK

great fish and pictures. what camera are you using?

Just a Nikon coolpix. But I fell down on Sandcut creek a few years ago and broke the flash off it. Now i have to use the sun for lighting. Somtimes harder then it sounds!

More pics in a min or

-KK

So Sunday was a great day. Probably the best day of my whole easter weekend! I got to have Lunch at my Grandparents and my Grandma made her famous Crepe's. YUM! We had a great day laughing and spending time with my cousin from Ottawa. We even had a confrence call to my Aunt back in Ottawa which was really cool and all of us got to wish her a happy easter. Then we went home to sleep off the meal.

Monday morning was my call to wake early and hit the lake a good 45 mins before sunrise. We hit the road at 5:20am. and headed north(the only way you can head from Victoria without leaving the island). We arrived at the spot and threw the boat in the water. We were the first ones at the lake. We got the lines ready and pushed away from the ramp. It was glass calm and silent. We were about 75 ft from the ramp and we started dropping our flies back to troll. I set my rod down once the fly was a good 60-70 ft behind the boat. Withing moment I had a solid strike and miss it. My Dad was luckier as his rod was struck just moments later and he managed a nice 17" rain bow to the boat. Then as he was setting his rod back my rod jumps and I set the hook. A solid 18" rainbow surfaces and then dives back down out of site. Dads rod still out the back of the boat only 30 ft. He is trying to net my fish and his rod is hit and he hooks up. I manage to pop the hook out without the use of the net and then turnaround to help my Dad land his fish.

QuamApril1st2013011_zpsa37293ca.jpg

Then after letting that bow go we continued out into the lake searching for more action. Things slowed alot as the sun came over the hills. We must have gone an hour without a strike when all the sudden my rod gets slammed and the drag rips out a solid 10ft of line. I grab my rod to start playing the fish and it goes slack. Without giving up I strip the red belly olive leech closer to the boat a few hard 10" pulls and wait. The rod starts to bend and get heavy and I set the hook! Wow. He took off and ran about 60ft before sticking to the bottom and not coming up. Big head shakes I figure im into a good 5 pound plus rainbow. After about a minute and a half of sulking down on the bottom he comes up to the surface and into the net. I was wrong not a rainbow at all a solid 22" Cutty. Wow what a rush! I toss Dad the camer and he tries to get a shot before I put him back. This is what he got before it jumped from my hands and over the side of the boat!
QuamApril1st2013001_zps15e3667f.jpg

After that fish things got a little crazy we caught and released about 6 solid 12-16" fish in the next hour. The net nor the camera were used as the wind was getting funky. The wind went from light breeze to gusty and off and on well over 15kms an hour. Quamichan lake can be know to get kind of snotty and I was at the very far end. We pointed back for the launch and set the lines back a good 80-90ft. By this time I needed the boat to be on electric speed 3. This is fast and I dont often fish that fast with flies. My thought was that the Cutties are active and they like it fast. We were aproaching the launch and were about 150ft off it when I picked up my rod to put the gear away and I felt a tiny little tap. I knew it wasen't weeds or bottom. I stripped a few pulls of line and waited. "Tap" I felt it again. I striped once about 24" and waited. Then just like hooking a seal the rod bent and out of the water shot my best fight of the day another solid 23" Cutty. Wow what a battle infront of about 10-12 people standing at the launch. I had to fight it and keep the boat positioned in the wind. With a few final bursts at the boat we finally got her in the net.

QuamApril1st2013014_zps036f6f51.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my easter weekend and if you have any epic weekend stories throw them in this thread! Cheers all!

-KK

nice the pics are awesome, atleast someone is doing well! that second fish is chunky, how much do you think it weighed? 3.5lbs?

kunni

we got like 3 in the 3.5 pound range. nothing bigger then that though. Maybe tomorrow morning will be different. Going to fish before work.

-KK

Thats a great action shot KK . Man that was an absolutely stellar w/e...

Cheers marko

Back